Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2018, 16:46   #1

Thailand Late June - Early July / Looking for advice

Hi All, long time lurker 3rd time poster.

I'm headed out to Thailand for a friend's wedding followed by a 2.5 week stay and would like to spend about 5 of those days cruising.

My main concern is where?

I know the SW Monsoons are going to be doing their thing then, which I assume is daily drizzle for 2-3 hours, and largely overcast skies. I assume... so for those who have been would cruising Phang Nga bay, Ko Racha Yai, and around Phuket around this time be out of the question?

I'm also thinking Chumphon archipelago / Ko Samui, and there about but there's less information on the area, though the wind looks better.

Or do we not even bother cause the weather looks garbage with 50-80% cloud cover most of the time in the region (at least now)....

Anyone have any advice? What would you do... would love to hear from folks who have cruised Thailand firsthand during that time.
JaceGraybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 16:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Thailand Late June - Early July / Looking for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaceGraybeard View Post
Hi All, long time lurker 3rd time poster.

I'm headed out to Thailand for a friend's wedding followed by a 2.5 week stay and would like to spend about 5 of those days cursing.

My main concern is where?

I know the SW Monsoons are going to be doing their thing then, which I assume is daily drizzle for 2-3 hours, and largely overcast skies. I assume... so for those who have been would cruising Phang Nga bay, Ko Racha Yai, and around Phuket around this time be out of the question?

I'm also thinking Chumphon archipelago / Ko Samui, and there about but there's less information on the area, though the wind looks better.

Or do we not even bother cause the weather looks garbage with 50-80% cloud cover most of the time in the region (at least now)....

Anyone have any advice? What would you do... would love to hear from folks who have cruised Thailand firsthand during that time.
I just had to notice the desire for "cursing." Perhaps the monsoon weather will help.

Just kidding.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. Please take the time to report back to us on CF of how your sailing at that time was. Mention the conditions you saw, and whether your expectations were fulfilled, tips, etc.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 17:53   #3

Do it. We've sailed a few times in the gulf over this period. Since Thailand lifted the tariff protection, there are now modern decent fleets to either charter or bareboat. Mostly the monsoons are sporadic, short lived and easily identified prior. Plenty of safe overnight anchorages, plenty of sheltered passages. It's a fantastic place. Get away from Phuket asap. A few islands are designated tourist trash zones and easily avoided. Unbelievable Hongs, reefs and cruising zones. Island resorts with exceptional food and service for a penny that welcome cruisers, easy anchoring spots, short island to island hops, and remember even the most 'adventurous' tourists only use the long boats and visit 'distant' islands between 10am and about 4pm, the rest of the time the place is yours Don't let the threat of 20% tropical (warm) wet wind overshadow 80% tropical heaven. The north and south of the gulf are vastly different areas. Take the time to do the loop.
2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:27   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

^^^this x100

Even the peak rainy season is very pleasant weather, usually lots falls in a short time, and even if some days are overcast, it's beautiful and very warm.

The Phuket side gets different patterns from the Koh Samui side, but it's very hard to predict far in advance.

Tourism is down so much I bet there's no need to commit in advance, local flights are cheap, make your decisions actually looking at the skies and the boats in person, dealing with trusted-recommended people face to face, and be sure to bring your haggle-**, smiling but ready to walk away the whole time.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 23:28   #5

Is there any update on what it was like Mr Greybeard? I was thinking about grabbing a late notice charter out of Phuket next week , but the weather reports for September/October, even on charter company's websites, are pretty off putting. Now thinking of doing Thailand next May/June/July , so i am curious what the rainy season is really like.

I know it says typically just afternoon showers (other than Sept/oct) but the rest of the time does it tend to be overcast all day or sunny in the morning before the clouds build up in the afternoon ?

Thanks
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 13:52   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Sun does come, say 30-50% overall, but it is not predictable.

Still warm & gorgeous even without blue skies, even in the rain.

Fewer tourists is a huge plus
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 16:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Sun does come, say 30-50% overall, but it is not predictable.

Still warm & gorgeous even without blue skies, even in the rain.

Fewer tourists is a huge plus
thanks
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 17:48   #8

Boat: wanting a cat

Prepare to get bent over...

Better places to cruise, was in Phuket last June, looked at cats and marinas and was not impressed, do the wedding and cruise somewhere else...

The Caribbean could use your support, Thai people are very genuine, the expats running boats over there I would avoid.

YMMV.
Just my experience, others may provide a better experience and recommendation...

Don't go into caves!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:41   #9

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

We've had a great experience with http://gulfchartersthailand.com which is the newer site for Yacht Charter Thailand - Koh Chang - Koh Samui - Bareboat Charter - Keelboats and Catamarans from 30ft to 52ft

Had no interest in the Pukhet area and the associated crowds. Chartered out of Koh Samui, spent over a week in the marine sanctuary (west of Koh Samui - Koh Phaluai and Koh Mae Ko) and then around Koh Pha Ngan. Beautiful secluded bays when desired, awesome inexpensive food ashore, and loads of helpful hospitality when we chose to be in civilization. Most days we didn't see any other cruisers / charters; depending on the area the fishing boats were out.

May was a bit on the warm side, especially when we visited as it was one of the hottest months on record. Still, the experience in the area and the unexplored opportunities aplenty. Great combination of activities and convenience without the full commercialization and catering to tourists and cruise ships.

Going back to Koh Chang next.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Thailand