Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2014, 17:09   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
Unhappy Buying a Boat in Martinique

Our first offer on the boat in Maryland was rejected. We have offered on a boat in the FL Keys and have not received an answer yet, but I'm hedging my bets. There is a boat that seems to have everything we want on it in Martinique. Has anyone bought a boat there? What issues did you encounter?

Any helpful advice is gratefully appreciated, to include shipping stuff down to the island.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:08   #2
hjv

Boat: Sweden Yachts C34, 34'
Re: Buying a Boat in Martinique

You are asking a very general question and to be honest one that doesn't make much sense. It's like asking have anyone bought a boat in Seattle, WA and what issues did you encounter. If you could be more specific I'm sure there are people on the forum that would be able to give you some answers.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:38   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I would have thought Martinique an easier place to buy than USA. And a terrific place to start cruising!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I would have thought Martinique an easier place to buy than USA. And a terrific place to start cruising!
Hi Mark,

Not when you get the US government involved. I addressed some of my concerns to the broker and asked for advice. She did not reply.

Maje
Old 25-09-2014, 16:34   #5

[QUOTE=hjv;1637808]You are asking a very general question and to be honest one that doesn't make much sense. It's like asking have anyone bought a boat in Seattle, WA and what issues did you encounter. If you could be more specific I'm sure there are people on the forum that would be able to give you some answers.

Good luck!

Having bought property in countries outside of the US, I'm aware that there are country specific things one must be aware of. I'm assuming buying a boat is much the same. Seattle, is not a country. The question would be what issues one might have in the US.

The US has a lot of consumer protections that other countries do not have. I learned this the hard way and did not want to make a mistake like that when it came to a boat.

Maje
Old 25-09-2014, 16:51   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Martinique is just like any other place. It is within the EU and so you will most likely follow the leads for buying an EU boat. Unless she is flagged elsewhere.

I think you are after a cat we anchored next too most of last winter.

How I bought our boat I just flew to her, had a good look and a long sit down with her owner. Then I paid the money and he handed over the keys.

Ask your registrar what it takes to register her in your country. Most countries require deregistration documents along with some form of "bill of sale" and relevant tax papers.

Nice place to buy a boat.

Good luck,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 17:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Tom and Maje;1637898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjv View Post
You are asking a very general question and to be honest one that doesn't make much sense. It's like asking have anyone bought a boat in Seattle, WA and what issues did you encounter. If you could be more specific I'm sure there are people on the forum that would be able to give you some answers.

Good luck!

Having bought property in countries outside of the US, I'm aware that there are country specific things one must be aware of. I'm assuming buying a boat is much the same. Seattle, is not a country. The question would be what issues one might have in the US.

The US has a lot of consumer protections that other countries do not have. I learned this the hard way and did not want to make a mistake like that when it came to a boat.

Maje
Use a licensed and bonded Florida yacht broker. Even if the yacht is based overseas the deal is still run through the state of Florida. I do a LOT of boats in the Caribbean, and the contract clearly states that if any litigation occurs it will happen in Broward County, Florida.

PM if you need any advice on doing business overseas.
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Martinique