Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2012, 15:21   #1

Boat: Lagoon 560
Sanya 57: First-time cat purchasers need experienced cat owners advice and knowledge.

Hi All-

My husband and I are currently looking into purchasing the FP Sanya 57. We have taken up an obsessive love for sailing this past year. We have taken and passed all the ASA courses and are working on getting much more experience under our belts before we would ever set sail on our own. We will hire an experienced captain until we feel more confident at the helm.

Having said this, we are well aware that the Sanya 57 is a large cat and that we need more experience-so don't fault us too early when we are well aware that a crew would be most beneficial until we can handle her on our own. We are also aware of some of the minor tweaks that need to be in place before we take off on her (e.g. cleats/handles at outside of platforms to control dinghy and to include all necessary blue water add ons, etc..). Enough said.

We were originally set on purchasing a Catana 50 until we chartered one in the Caribbean a few weeks ago. Although she sailed like a dream, the living quarters (especially the berths) were quite cramped for long term living and sailing abroad. Please note that we have a three-year-old daughter who is handicapped and the Catana seemed too small for me in getting her around, up and down, etc... I realized I needed a little more floor space for her to roll around on and the salon seemed do-able but not ideal for her.

Other boats that we have considered and looked extensively at are the Lagoon 50 & 56, Leopard 46 (we know the 48 is around the corner), the Salina 48, the Voyager 48?, the Privilige 51 & 58, Yapluka 60 (only online photos), the Knysna 48 and a St. Francis 50. We have spent hours on the web researching each of their pros and cons, talking to brokers and have educated ourselves on each of them (as much as we could, considering we haven't sailed any at this point other than the Catana). In fact, I think I have read every single post/entry on the Cruisers Forum re: multi-hulls.

From what we have seen, all are great boats for their own reasons but we just keep going back to the Sanya 57. (We had the opportunity to get on board a Sanya while we were in Tortola and have a tour of her. It was the first time we were introduced to such a spacious cat... and her being a beautiful one was a huge plus for me.)

So... our plan is to hang around the Caribbean for about a year and then take off for French Polynesia. Stay out for another year and a half (or more) and then bring her back to the Caribbean for our large extended families to enjoy as well.

So, here is my concern, because the Sanya is so new, should we have reservations about purchasing such a large cat? There are hardly any reviews out there on her other than from a few magazines. Will she sail well in long passages? Should we even go so big? Will we have large mooring/docking costs because of her size? We know the upkeep is about 10% of the cost of the boat each year and we are prepared for that, but still, are we off our rockers?

Does anyone have any other suggestions or personal preferences as to what and why we should go with a smaller sized cat? Should we charter another cat just to see if we have a better experience than we did with the Catana?

All knowledge from experienced cat owners is definitely welcomed. In fact, it would be invaluable for us first-time cat owners.

Thank you in advance for any and all who respond. Please be kind as I have a thin skin and am only politely asking for any suggestions that you might have.

Best,
Kym
Amara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 15:43   #2

Re: Sanya 57: First-time cat purchasers need experienced cat owners advice and knowle

They are all a trade off no matter what. If it is mostly perfect then buy and don't look back.
Dockage etc can be high, and prohibitive due to the beam. Especially for hauling out.
I viewed a Yapluka 60 for sale in NZ today - very nice.
I'll go get it for you if you like...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 15:53   #3

Re: Sanya 57: First-time cat purchasers need experienced cat owners advice and knowle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
They are all a trade off no matter what. If it is mostly perfect then buy and don't look back.
Dockage etc can be high, and prohibitive due to the beam. Especially for hauling out.
I viewed a Yapluka 60 for sale in NZ today - very nice.
I'll go get it for you if you like...
I think we look at that Yapluka every night online before we go to bed. She is beautiful. I'l let my husband know that you are willing to go and get her for us.
Old 13-06-2012, 16:49   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

BAsing on the info you've given, Sanya seems to be the best for you. Another plus for Sanya is that FP is facing some warranty issues like any other boat but they are much better in honoring them.
Yes, even when you will be both an accomplished sailor, Sanya will not be easy to be handled in every way, particularly in long passages.
Lastly, FP is announcing the launch of new sailing cat in a week. It is speculated that it will either be a revamped Orana or a new cat in the 50-52 range. This latter if it becomes the case might suit you better.
Good luck..
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 18:51   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

A fifty seven foot catamaran is a lot of work to maintain and sail well.

I found that sailing my Privilege 39 was as much as I wanted to manage with my small crew.

If I was independently wealthy and didn't mind having a crew around all the time, I would consider something as big as a fifty seven footer. The crew would also be paid to do most of the grunt work and maintenance. Then fifty seven feet sounds good to me.

In the real world, family and friends don't come around that often when you are in distant ports. So you end up sailing with just two people on board which is a big deal on a huge catamaran.

Also if you are relying on family and friends flying in to be crew, then you will be sailing on a schedule which is the formula for trouble. Having to be at a specific place at a specific time with variable weather and sailing conditions can turn an enjoyable experience into a miserable one.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 19:31   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

kymfrey,

If a Sanya 57 is speaking to you when you were onboard. That is a good thing.
A lot of visual and emotional cues have to line up for both of you to say that a Sanya 57 is the boat for you. If you are going to have a captain aboard than, yes go for it. That is the fastest and easiest way to learn a new boat. You must have been on "Further". I would have to agree. She is a SWEET RIDE.

Most moorings allow boats up to 60 feet, so that should not be a problem.

FP makes a GALATHEA 65, so they know how to make nice big boats.

If you can afford it, Bigger is always better.
Believe me, if I could afford it, my Mahe 36 would be a Sanya 57.

Enjoy, live your dreams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Further.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	42249  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 20:15   #7

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Hi Kym,

welcome to the forum.
You are very fortunate to have the means to purchase such a boat.
However as a word of caution I would never purchase anything of value that was new to the market, especially being new yourselves to the market.
The Sanya 57 may be the best cat ever built, but even coming from FP there will be teething issues which may cause you a lot of grief if you are not in a position to cope with it.
A smart person may consider starting with a smaller proven design which they can develop their skills before moving on to a bigger boat of the right size. It is also easier to trade in the small boat and move up to the bigger boat than go the other way.
Considering the potential initial depreciation on a large boat, there is plenty of justification for a sizable budget to research your purchase.
As far as FPs warranty goes, it lasts 5 years and is not transferable from the original owner so if you are going to sell the boat within 5 years and money is no object go for it, otherwise take care.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 21:05   #8

That's a gorgeous vessel, but what on earth were they thinking with all the sharp edges n the interior. I thought about the idea of moving around her for a 2 week transpac passage and all I could think of was OW! My toes & thighs would be inevitably bruised to bloody hell.

And are there davits hidden under that sexy tanning platform? She's one of the sexiest dockside cats I've laid eyes on, but raises an eyebrow or three as a cruising passage maker imo.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 23:18   #9

Thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum and your sage advice. Both my husband and I have carefully read your comments and are considering your recommendations, praise and concerns. Your insight and knowledge is not being taken lightly.

I agree that it is important that we consider the emotional/visual cues that the Sanya provides, but that we also need to consider its size and if we want to work THAT much to make this thing go. And yes, @Aussiesuede, you are not the first person to point out the sharp edges in the interior. Our hired captain that toured the Sanya with us was the first to point it out as a concern.

Just an FYI… The Sanya we toured was called, "Extreme Comfort" and believe me—she lived up to her name. My husband actually spotted it at the dock at Nanny Cay marina when we were pulling in to dock. In fact, he borrowed a kayak from a dock worker so that he could paddle out to it to see if he could have a look around. The crew was very accommodating and even invited me to come aboard later that evening and take a tour. After dealing with the narrow hulls of the Catana all week, it took all I had to not drop to my knees and sing its praises. I know, I know, narrower hulls=faster. All I am saying is that she sure was a beautiful boat with lots of elbow room.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I am enjoying each one of your comments and welcome more. Every little bit helps us get closer to making our final decision.
Old 14-06-2012, 00:10   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

H Kym,
A warm wellcome to the forum. You are in a very enviable situation. Thinking back to our intro to FP we knew from just preliminary drawings that the Orana was for us, so don't be put off bying a new boat, yes there may be issues but you will have these with a new or old boat, with the new you will have dealer and manufacturer support along with warranty. And dealing with the issues as discussed will pale away after time living with such.
We have recently sold our Orana44 after four and a half wonderful sailing years and will be sailing home to Australia from La Rochelle a new FP 44 April next year. We are happy to do this all over again and no regrets!
Enjoy the Sanya 57, the first into Australia arrives next month in time for the Sydney Boat Show starting August 2nd.

Regards Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 04:26   #11

I agree that bigger is better if you can afford it.
Mostly you will be living in your home at anchor/dock. the heuristic is 90% for cruising boats. So the sped is mostly irrelevant - comfort is key.
Speed is desirable while we sit at our computers, and the narrower hulls of vessels such as gunboats, Chris white shoennings, Outremers, etc Potentially give greater speed, than a Catana or FP. However, the trade of is greater payload and elbow room. I desire the speed. But, elbow room and extra supplies is far more important. Especially when it comes to extra supplies, anchors, safety equipment, etc...
I think handling a larger boat is mostly no different than a smaller vessel. Mostly on auto-pilot and the "Standby/Auto" button on a 60' cat is the same size as a 30' cat.
The sails can be handled same with appropriately sized winches.
A 60' cat - no matter which one will be plenty fast enough on Ocean Passages. Most importantly can be well reefed down for comfort and still achieving great daily runs...
And the larger boat handles the conditions better than a smaller vessel - period.
However, the equipment on a larger boat may breach individual strength capabilities. The size of the sails and anchors may only be handled by winches/windlasses. etc...So when something goes wrong - must be prepared for that.
My roller furler broke recently- opening the 100 m2 Genoa fully - had to wrestle it down to the deck - into the water - then back into a forward compartment in a 40 knot night time rain squall. Would have been much easier with a smaller sail.
Larger tender cannot be dragged physically up a beach (or down) - need two anchors. One on the beach - one in the water to hold it off the bottom.
In fact anchoring the main vessel is maybe more important skill than sailing. Get the right/best ground tackle and learn to use it. I have dragged moorings, and been prohibited from using them due to size. But, mostly I prefer to anchor out and don't trust moorings...
Having a competent captain with short handed experience will be beneficial. And 10% per year in maintenance? Perhaps - maybe much more. So be prepared to wire plenty of cash into those two holes in the water...
good luck
Old 14-06-2012, 05:51   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat
I agree that bigger is better if you can afford it.
Mostly you will be living in your home at anchor/dock. the heuristic is 90% for cruising boats. So the sped is mostly irrelevant - comfort is key.
Speed is desirable while we sit at our computers, and the narrower hulls of vessels such as gunboats, Chris white shoennings, Outremers, etc Potentially give greater speed, than a Catana or FP. However, the trade of is greater payload and elbow room. I desire the speed. But, elbow room and extra supplies is far more important. Especially when it comes to extra supplies, anchors, safety equipment, etc...
I think handling a larger boat is mostly no different than a smaller vessel. Mostly on auto-pilot and the "Standby/Auto" button on a 60' cat is the same size as a 30' cat.
The sails can be handled same with appropriately sized winches.
A 60' cat - no matter which one will be plenty fast enough on Ocean Passages. Most importantly can be well reefed down for comfort and still achieving great daily runs...
And the larger boat handles the conditions better than a smaller vessel - period.
However, the equipment on a larger boat may breach individual strength capabilities. The size of the sails and anchors may only be handled by winches/windlasses. etc...So when something goes wrong - must be prepared for that.
My roller furler broke recently- opening the 100 m2 Genoa fully - had to wrestle it down to the deck - into the water - then back into a forward compartment in a 40 knot night time rain squall. Would have been much easier with a smaller sail.
Larger tender cannot be dragged physically up a beach (or down) - need two anchors. One on the beach - one in the water to hold it off the bottom.
In fact anchoring the main vessel is maybe more important skill than sailing. Get the right/best ground tackle and learn to use it. I have dragged moorings, and been prohibited from using them due to size. But, mostly I prefer to anchor out and don't trust moorings...
Having a competent captain with short handed experience will be beneficial. And 10% per year in maintenance? Perhaps - maybe much more. So be prepared to wire plenty of cash into those two holes in the water...
good luck
The speed versus comfort debate is a matter of opinion. I don't want to own a vessel that doesn't sail well. Though we may only spend 10-20% of the time sailing that's what I enjoy.
We have owned a variety of cats and I think 57' is way to large for a couple to safely and enjoyably handle. How fast can you throw a reef into that huge mainsail? As the topsides are probably 7' above the water how safely can two people dock the boat by themselves? If the windlass or electric winches give up how easily can you raise the anchor by hand or raise the main by hand? If someone falls overboard how quickly can the sails be doused and the boat brought around by one person.
I'm sure it can be done but in my opinion not as safely as a smaller boat.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 06:50   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

ST Francis 50 would be my pick from that lot
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 07:02   #14
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
ST Francis 50 would be my pick from that lot
What about a Schionning 49?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 07:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What about a Schionning 49?
It would have far too little elbow room for their requirements.
But most probably the fastest!

Tags
catamaran, fountaine pajot, Sanya 57, multihull