Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2018, 11:07   #1

Bottom paint

I am hauling out to bottom paint for the first time. Please share your experience as to how long the paint should last under “normal” ( I know this is a relative term but just need some general advice). I am using a medium grade ($300.00/gallon) ablative bottom paint and will clean periodically with carpet and plastic scraper. Thank you for your experience.
warrenthames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 11:40   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Bottom paint

Warren,

There are way too many variables [location being among the most important in my experience...] for a simple response...

See if the Jamestown Distributers bottom paint survey data helps answer your questions... It contains data from boat owners in many different geographic locations.

Cheers! Bill
Old 28-10-2018, 13:27   #3

Ok Bill. Will do. Thanks
Old 28-10-2018, 13:29   #4

I am in southwest Florida and in the water full time.
Old 28-10-2018, 14:56   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I'm certain this thread may become somewhat like what is the best anchor thread, but I'll put in my 2 cents.

Possibly look at a hard paint if you want to scrub the hull from time to time.

We've used Trinidad with good success and even though they have been consistently reducing the copper content over the years, its still a good product. Typically we get several years on our bottom jobs with 2 full coats and a third at the water line. Also we use a dri-diver which uses an abrasive pad to remove growth/scum. The dri-diver makes it easy and fairly quick to scrub the whole boat in a few minutes w/o going in the water.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 15:11   #6

Thanks Bill.
Old 28-10-2018, 15:28   #7

LOL!!!
Want three opinions?.......just ask two sailors!
Whats the best bottom paint is like asking how best to anchor.
Sorry, just stating the truth.
Good luck and have a great day.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 16:04   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

And whether vessel is a yacht or a motor launch makes a big difference as to at least decide between hard and ablative based on average speed. Type of hull too is a factor; plastic, steel, aluminium, concrete etc.
Old 28-10-2018, 16:18   #9

Sorry, perhaps my post although accurate was unhelpful.
Opinions you want?.....ok:
All bottom paint these days is trash. The good stuff was legislated out of production many years ago. Much better now to do 5 bottom jobs in ten years than one.....much less bottom paint in the envoironment now......NOT!!!
Much more money parted with though, that I can say without a tiny itsy bitsy grain of doubt!
That being said, I was ready to start painting sides of my boat in different paints just to try to find what kind of sort of works better. 5 years down the track I may have a little more knowledge.....might I say.
But, a couple of weeks back I was in Sailors exchange in St Aug and they had dented cans of micron CSC for $125 gallon, $100 if you buy more than one.
So I bought three.
I have not been unhappy with micron CSC in the past so I figured I cant do any worse than anything else,,,,, I think?
If you are lucky enough to have a boat for many years I dare say you will look back upon my opinion and agree totally. Or not.
I hope this was helpful.
Once again,
Good luck and have a great day.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 17:22   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I get a couple years out of an abalative bottom job before the diviing starts becoming necessary
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint