Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 13:58   #1

moorings powercat charter

Anyone leased a moorings 51 powercat? How was your experience with the boat? How did it ride? We have guests with seasick problems? Any pounding etc? Thanks.
tenniscaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 14:41   #2

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Re: moorings powercat charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniscaptain View Post
Anyone leased a moorings 51 powercat? How was your experience with the boat? How did it ride? We have guests with seasick problems? Any pounding etc? Thanks.
haven't been on the 51 per say.. but, it'll ride better than a 38' boat, it's a catamaran so, given the right conditions (or wrong conditions) it'll slam/pound.. it's what cats do, especially going into or quartering into steep, flat faced waves, but it'll take a bit higher wave to pound than a lower or differently designed cat would. Sea sick, bring some meclizine, it's the ocean, if someone tends to get sea sick, they'll get sea sick.
Be nice to the boat you're chartering.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 15:37   #3

Thanks for the reply. How do you like your 39?
Old 11-10-2018, 19:48   #4

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniscaptain View Post
Thanks for the reply. How do you like your 39?
We love our 39.. what can I say? It's a great boat in the <40' range. The owners version actually has a lot more room in the one hull than many much larger boats. Well designed, good sailor, good helm, electrical, good engines, good sail drives, good access to everything for a smaller boat.. it's all good good.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:37   #5

Boat: Fountain 38 EC

I have to agree with Privleoplag, if your guests are gonna get seasick on a smaller boat, they'll get seasick.

That being said, I've chartered with the moorings the last 8 years, starting with the 474 PC and the last 3 years on the 514 PCs. The 474's were great boats, but the 514's are just incredible. The increase is room, especially the walk through in the salon to the front sitting area, really enables several couples to have their own space. Most of the trips were in the BVI's, and we normally hit the south drop and the atlantic if the weather is not too bad. Only once have I had to turn back in with my guests getting a little wobbly, quartering into a southwest wind and a little rough. Certainly not much roll on the big cat, but the pitching was a little much for them. The first trip on the 514 was in the Abacos in Bahamas, and of course it was very smooth. Went outside at Tilloo Cut but it was fair weather and nothing to worry about.

The big yanmar's are great fuel sipping engines, and I usually run at the 7-8 knot cruise and troll much of the time. Fuel is one of our lowest costs for the trip. First note of caution: If you run those big V-8's hard at the end of the day, make sure whoever is staying in the aft cabins likes a heated bed until about 3 am....myself, I can't stand it and we always take the port bow cabin next to the generator so it hums us to sleep. Second note of caution: DO NOT rent an older boat unless you absolutely have to. We always get an "Exclusive Plus", even though it is substantially more. Unless you charter from a European base which requires a certificate, you will find that the older boats are beat to crap by the Credit Card Captains!!!. I would much rather spend time fixing the rigging on a new boat, which I've had to do, than sit waiting for a service boat to come get us running. Keep in mind that they don't clean out the filters for the grey water discharge nor the A/C cooling intake every trip. (More like yearly!), so you can expect to do that yourself occasionally...Unless you like being hot...We also run the generator constantly unless in rougher seas where there is a chance of not pulling in cooling water.

We're headed to our next adventure on Saturday, November 10th in the BVI's on a 514 with a 434 following us. I plan on being right in front of the Soggy Dollar with both boats on Wednesday evening, Nov 14th, and all day Thursday on the hook, so check us out on the Soggy Dollar Bar Webcam.

Good Luck if you decide to charter a 514 PC, they are awesome boats!!!
joet13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:14   #6

We just the 51pc at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. I agree, awesome boat. We will be sailing with one soon. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-11-2018, 19:19   #7

Boat: Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

I've charted with Moorings about 10 times, two of them with powercats, but not the newest 51.

I really love Moorings for sailing rigs, but I would recommend you look at the MarineMax 48' Power Cat as an alternative. We've chartered it twice and are doing it again this March. Great rig. Fast (20 knots when you want it), or slow and fuel efficient. The swim step lowers into the water for ease of swimming. The watermaker actually works (and works well) . . . the landlubbers onboard can shower and use water like they're on land and all you have to do is make sure to flip the right switches at night to wake up to a full fresh water tank. Just a really comfortable party barge.

Not what I'd call a "pretty" boat. My dad (and old salt) took one look and said it had lines that were "as ugly as a mud fence." But, hey, you're not buying it. . .

Downside: Marinemax base isn't as luxurious as Moorings, not as close to provisioning stores on Tortola. Worth it in my opinion.

Dave

PS: Just re-read the title and realized you might not be chartering out of the BVI's, so MarineMax may not be an option. If so . . . never mind! Grins. -Dave
dave907 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, mooring