Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2018, 00:50   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Sojourn taxes in Croatia

Attached are the sojourn taxes applicable to private and charter boats for 2018. They are quite hefty..

Cheers

Yeloya
Attached Files
File Type: doc SOJOURN TAX IN CROATIA.doc (36.0 KB, 229 views)
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 11:01   #2

Re: Sojourn taxes in Croatia

Apparently they issue the turist tax you'd pay in land multiplied by the capacity of your boat. Latter in quite big steps, there is a huge difference between 9.0 and 12m.
Old 16-02-2018, 12:32   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I suppose it is no more unreasonable than the 10% "tourist" tax many US states impose on hotel rates. But to think...Two guys on a 42' boat would pay the same hefty fee as 150 African refugees, all the same based on the boat size alone...that hardly seems right.

Since the fee racks up with each passing day, does that at least include medical coverage? Or the dinner buffet?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 12:39   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

So Atila, where are all the cruisers going to flee to now? First they left Greece due to the excessive and unfair tax, then they fled Turkey due to fear, now the exodus is on from Croatia. What spot is left where the cruiser can drop an anchor and live for nearly nothing all year long?
Old 16-02-2018, 14:50   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
So Atila, where are all the cruisers going to flee to now? First they left Greece due to the excessive and unfair tax, then they fled Turkey due to fear, now the exodus is on from Croatia. What spot is left where the cruiser can drop an anchor and live for nearly nothing all year long?
I don't know John..I did a bit of research, talked to firends in various countries. My feeling is :
-Montenegro which is small but beatiful country is loosing because of Croates who make their life very difficult.
-Croatia also is loser.. maybe the people have fed up, overcrowded, short season and increasingly expensive. Also became EC which has cons and pros..
-Greece is still strong, both hotels and charter companies are busy..
-Turkey is enjoying a strange pick up after so many years of decline. I said strange because the country was the same when people has left and still the same when people is returning.
-If they manage to improve the infrastructure, Albania can become very popular if not this year but certainly in the forthcoming years.
-I have no idea on Tunisia and Maroc for someone who wants escape from a stupid 90 days restriction.

Overall, the life for cruisers is becoming tougher and more expensive every day. Maybe spending some time ashore like you are doing is better..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 16-02-2018, 15:05   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I don't know John..I did a bit of research, talked to firends in various countries. My feeling is :
-Montenegro which is small but beatiful country is loosing because of Croates who make their life very difficult.
-Croatia also is loser.. maybe the people have fed up, overcrowded, short season and increasingly expensive. Also became EC which has cons and pros..
-Greece is still strong, both hotels and charter companies are busy..
-Turkey is enjoying a strange pick up after so many years of decline. I said strange because the country was the same when people has left and still the same when people is returning.
-If they manage to improve the infrastructure, Albania can become very popular if not this year but certainly in the forthcoming years.
-I have no idea on Tunisia and Maroc for someone who wants escape from a stupid 90 days restriction.

Overall, the life for cruisers is becoming tougher and more expensive every day. Maybe spending some time ashore like you are doing is better..

Cheers

Yeloya
I do not know from where you picked up your information about Croatia being looser. they are still going strong. There is new marina being build in Dubrovnik. 300 berths. it is already sold out, and marina is not even finished yet. opening will be this spring.

but looks like that a lot of so called cruisers wont free lunch. that is problem, not sojourn tax.
earlgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 17:51   #7

Boat: Comet 41s

As usual these tax have no logic they say:

"The private vessel owner(s) or his/her guests pay the sojourn tax for themselves and all persons spending the night on that vessel, on a lump sum basis. "

The tax is not about the boat it is about the people on the boat. So what would be logic would be to charge for each person that sail on a given boat not by the max number of persons that boat can carry!!!!
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 18:26   #8

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Taxes in Greece has been talked about for a few years but I have still not needed to pay a penny in tax. Biggest problem in Greece is find somewhere to store the boat over winter since they ard all full!
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 18:48   #9

Regarding Turkey versus Greece it is not only the political situation it is also that Marinas are expensive compared with the many small ports in Greece.

I know that is unfair to compare ports with marinas but what turkey has is plenty of marinas and few small ports with water and electricity while on Greece it is the opposite, plenty of nice ports and few marinas.

On Marinas you pay 3 to 5 times more than on ports and I like more ports than marinas anyway.
Old 17-02-2018, 06:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

Cheers

Yeloya
You forgot my name already :-(
This isn't good for John either as he's petty young and good looking :-)

I was actually partly joking because everytime a country announces a tax on cruisers so many of them threaten to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Taxes in Greece has been talked about for a few years but I have still not needed to pay a penny in tax. Biggest problem in Greece is find somewhere to store the boat over winter since they ard all full!
I didn't have a problem finding a marina but almost always booked one 9 months in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Regarding Turkey versus Greece it is not only the political situation it is also that Marinas are expensive compared with the many small ports in Greece.

I know that is unfair to compare ports with marinas but what turkey has is plenty of marinas and few small ports with water and electricity while on Greece it is the opposite, plenty of nice ports and few marinas.

On Marinas you pay 3 to 5 times more than on ports and I like more ports than marinas anyway.
That is the special thing about Greece - the village quays are so affordable. You used to count on them being free but over the last two years the muni's have really started to charge consistently. Especially where water and electricity is available.

We're in the Bahamas now and I think it's pretty inexpensive. $250 for an annual cruising permit. Fish and lobster and plentiful and easy to catch. It's $50 per case for beer (expensive) and groceries are very pricey. But the marina I've been using off and on is $1 per foot/day which is very reasonable.
Old 17-02-2018, 09:26   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Of course I didn't David..you disclosed my name but I simply didn't want to do yours..

We still miss yr sense of humour.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 19-02-2018, 08:28   #12

Quote:
That is the special thing about Greece - the village quays are so affordable. You used to count on them being free but over the last two years the muni's have really started to charge consistently. Especially where water and electricity is available.
There are a few levels between the 10kEUR marina berth in the Algarve and the free mooring somewhere else. Until the costs don't break a certain threshold (call them taxes, mooring fees, bribes whatever), I don't mind. If you are budget conscious, the total cost of cruising counts. Oh, and add air tickets too if applicable.
Old 19-02-2018, 16:33   #13

Quote:

We're in the Bahamas now and I think it's pretty inexpensive. $250 for an annual cruising permit. Fish and lobster and plentiful and easy to catch. It's $50 per case for beer (expensive) a]9nd groceries are very pricey. But the marina I've been using off and on is $1 per foot/day which is very reasonable.
Looks good on the Bahamas. What about anchorages (plenty of them?) and restaurant prices?

I did not have said that ports were free on Greece but that costed 3 to 5 times less than a Marina in Turkey. For my boat a Marina in Turkey costs about 45/50 euros or more.

A port in Greece costs from 7 to 17 euros. You pay water and electricity only if you need and I normally don't need either. Water only one time each 15 days.
Old 19-02-2018, 18:10   #14

Boat: between boats

Quote:
This isn't good for John either as he's petty young and good looking :-)

I was actually partly joking because everytime a country announces a tax on cruisers so many of them threaten to leave.

I didn't have a problem finding a marina but almost always booked one 9 months in advance.

We're in the Bahamas now and I think it's pretty inexpensive. $250 for an annual cruising permit. Fish and lobster and plentiful and easy to catch. It's $50 per case for beer (expensive) and groceries are very pricey. But the marina I've been using off and on is $1 per foot/day which is very reasonable.
Lol yeah we all miss your humour Dave.

While it was bad for the Greeks etc in the past few years with the bankruptcy scares and then the migrant crisis etc etc they are now out the other side and we can say from a strictly cruisers perspective we sailed greece at an ideal time in hindsight.

It is now much much more crowded last year and I expect this year the same or worse. Still the best cruising in the med but the charm of being able to grab an unplanned spot on a quay most places is now gone and replaced by a #$%^ fight most afternoons. Not quite croatia overcrowded but getting there.

That being the case im not surprised numbers are picking up again in turkey - where else can they go?

Yes Yeloya happy to be boatless at least as far as the med goes for a little while. Meantime when the med is calling me ill be sure to hit you up for a charter
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 19:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Looks good on the Bahamas. What about anchorages (plenty of them?) and restaurant prices?
I'd say there are more anchorages then any place I've been so far. And the best part is they are over nice, dense, sand :-)

Restaurant prices are high IMO. Lot's of fried food and not so fresh vegetables.

Tags
Croatia, taxes