Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2017, 09:50   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 / Moorings 4000
Best Yard for Upgrding Electronics FL - VA/MD

At some point I am going to need up update / upgrade the electronic suite on my boat to bring old electronic systems up to current standard and install AIS / Radar and possibly SATCOM. Are there yards that specialize or do an exceptionally good job with marine electronics located between Florida and Chesapeake Bay that would be worth a special trip for just this purpose?
tmccaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 11:13   #2

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423
Re: Best Yard for Upgrding Electronics FL - VA/MD

I have a need as well. Our neighbors were happy with MTS at Herrington Harbor North in Deale/Tracys Landing, MD - gomts.net. They had a 2001 era Raymarine system on their Catalina 42 and replaced the chartplotter with a current Garmin. They kept the autopilot/control head, depth, speed, wind and instruments and tied it all into the Garmin chartplotter.

I'm looking at a similar task next year with a chartplotter upgrade for my Raymarine C80 on my Beneteau 423. I expect the existing analog radar will need an upgrade. But, I would like to keep the Raymarine autopilot, depth (2), speed and wind. I don't have a strong opinion on chartplotter brand, as long as I can get at least three years of upgrades and five years of support.

Likely the best approach for me is to write a short spec and seek some quotes. I need to decide if this is something I want to do myself.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 12:28   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Some more possibilities: search Mid-Shore Electronics in Cambridge, MD (they did our install in 2009, at their docks), and BOE on Kent Island (think its Bay Bridge Marina).

-Chris
Old 25-10-2017, 16:58   #4

Boat: Baba 40

I second MTS in Herrington. They do great work, quickly and efficiently. Experience with large boat building projects through small replacement of out of production modules (specifically Raymarine). Tell them Cecil sent you.

Also Seacoast Marine (Pete) in Oriental NC if you are down that way.
ctrosclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 04:26   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ctrosclair.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 08:12   #6

Boat: Prout 45S 2009 - Zuri

Craig at Mazocean specializes in electronics. He is at Harbourview marina in Dania beach, FL. We highly recommend. He has done work for numerous of our clients and friends. Does a great job and is reasonable. Craig@mazocean.com
Zuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:03   #7

K2 Marine Systems, LLC. in St. Petersburg, FL., may be out of your way but Kevin, the owner, does excellent work. He can and does travel to the job.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:48   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420

We have also had Craig at MazOcean do some Electronics and Electrical upgrades for us. (Batteries & Charging System, Inverter, AIS, WiFi/Cell, etc). He and his team did outstanding work. We will be contacting them in a few weeks for some additional needs and recommend MazOcean.
SVOurSabbatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 06:13   #9

Boat: Nordic 44

I too am a happy MTS customer. Five years ago they renewed my entire electronics with Simrad and did a very professional install. They also spec'd the system based on what I wanted. They are certified ABYS and registered dealers for Garmin, Raymarine, Simrad, B&G etc. Ryan McQueeney is the owner and man to talk with. You could go to Heerington Harbor as thats where they are located. I was in Galesville at Hartge Yacht Harbor which might be more reasonable for a winter haul out.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics