Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 07:53   #1

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Boat Insurance for international cruising

BoatUS won't insure us, they say they don't ensure boats as large as ours, a 36' Cape Dory.....which is not large at all.
We have Progressive through USAA but that's limited to certain areas and distances from US shores.
How do we obtain insurance for catastrophic events that covers us no matter where we go? I'd like to hear from actual Cruisers that are currently insured.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 08:02   #2

Re: Boat Insurance for international cruising

I think someone mixed something up. We didn't buy but we have had quotes from them for a 34' cat.

That said, I don't think they do international coverage (maybe Canada and Bahamas).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 09:42   #3

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

Boat US currently insures my 45', without any problems as to size or agreed upon value. Currently limited to the Great Lakes, but already arranged with Boat US for ocean coverage beginning in October.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 09:45   #4

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Bluewater insurance in florida. Don spink .
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:12   #5

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

I'm currently insured with Pantaenius, and chose them because of their good reputation and lack of weaselly clauses in their policy.

Other policies that I read had a lot of but's and exceptions in their policy legalese that seemed to add up to them covering nothing.
Old 22-06-2016, 08:30   #6

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

In Lauderdale Fla contact Atlass Insurance they cover my boat 52 Beneteau through Lloyd's of London in the Caribbean for the last 3 years now good price but excluding Cuba, Haiti and Venezuela.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:42   #7

Boat: Tayana V 42

Novamar out of Seattle provided insurance for the Pacific coast from Cape Scott, Vancouver Island, BC to Acapulco, Mexico and 200 Nm off shore.
Along with providing coverage for named storms. They are a broker and the insurance copy that wrote the Policy is National Specialty Insurance Company.

Jim
James R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 09:31   #8

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Sarge,

I have always used an insurance broker and therefore the policies are written with different insurers [whichever has the best package at renewal time.]

Just remember that brokers represent you; agents represent the insurance company...

Currently we use IMIS for US and international coverage. Al Golden founded the business almost 30 years ago, and is an ex-cruiser himself, and is a no-bull kind of guy.

I highly recommend including IMIS when you get to the stage of requesting quotes. [Typically you will need a fresh survey- one less than 6 months old...]

We are insured for the area(s) and season(s) we are cruising in. Costs may change as we change areas. e.g., our current coverage area [i.e., most economical for the areas we currently plan to travel in...] is the S central and S East coast of Alaska all the way to Ensenada Mexico. I can change that with an email [and money transfer if the new area has a higher risk factor...]

Here is a brief, yet detailed page from our blog outlining some things we consider when insuring our vessel(s) over time. [In case it is helpful.]

I'll also mention that over the decades insuring as we outline on our page, above, the annual premium averages to around ±1% of agreed hull replacement value.

Take your time and find a broker you feel comfortable with, and compare their coverage and quotes to others as you refine your needs.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 22-06-2016, 09:57   #9

Boat: Prout

From the UK for singlehanded circumnavigation, Pantaenuis is the only company I could find and that is only 3rd party. However premium is only some £250 pa. which gives good peace of mind. Whilst I've never made a claim from them I have found them to be very helpful and efficient and they certainly have a good reputation.
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 10:31   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

I recently got insurance for the Caribbean and East Coast with the help of Susan Everhard at Global Marine Insurance in Florida. Reasonable policy with Lloyds: much cheaper than BoatUS.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 11:09   #11

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hi Sarge,

I have always used an insurance broker and therefore the policies are written with different insurers [whichever has the best package at renewal time.]

Just remember that brokers represent you; agents represent the insurance company...

Currently we use IMIS for US and international coverage. Al Golden founded the business almost 30 years ago, and is an ex-cruiser himself, and is a no-bull kind of guy.

I highly recommend including IMIS when you get to the stage of requesting quotes. [Typically you will need a fresh survey- one less than 6 months old...]

We are insured for the area(s) and season(s) we are cruising in. Costs may change as we change areas. e.g., our current coverage area [i.e., most economical for the areas we currently plan to travel in...] is the S central and S East coast of Alaska all the way to Ensenada Mexico. I can change that with an email [and money transfer if the new area has a higher risk factor...]

Here is a brief, yet detailed page from our blog outlining some things we consider when insuring our vessel(s) over time. [In case it is helpful.]

I'll also mention that over the decades insuring as we outline on our page, above, the annual premium averages to around ±1% of agreed hull replacement value.

Take your time and find a broker you feel comfortable with, and compare their coverage and quotes to others as you refine your needs.

Cheers!

Bill
I went with IMIS as well. They were able to get my 27' boat insured without too much fuss. We also had to drop BoatUS when we left the states.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 11:09   #12

It won't help with ocean crossing but if you will be in an area for a while, you might consider local insurance.

We picked up a policy in Spain, no survey required for $300/yr. In the states it was running $900/yr (just coastal waters similar coverage)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 12:57   #13

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

another vote for IMIS. They will get quotes from various companies so you can compare them and pick what you like. I ended up going with Pantaenius on my current boat but have used Markel in the past
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 14:25   #14

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We really liked the coverage that Pantaenius offered in their policy, however, when we notified them that we were sailing from Thailand to South Africa, they refused to write us a policy, regardless of which route we took. So, after being with them for over 15 years and never filing a claim, we went shopping. At the marina we were staying at in Phuket, we met a couple who were agents for Topsail Insurance and not only were they willing to cover us for the crossing but their rates were almost half of what we had been paying Pantaenius. They also covered us for our crossing from South Africa to the Caribbean and even though we still haven't filed a claim, some friends of ours who lost their mast in the Indian Ocean said that Topsail handled their claim above and beyond their expectations.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 16:04   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hi Sarge,

Seriously, what about agents who work for brokers?

Tags
cruising, insurance