Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 03:01   #1

after delivery...?

So you have your new cat delivered in La Rochelle, everything Lagoon could include is there, like fenders, mooring lines, a dinghy and even the optional anti-fouling, just to name a few...
Then, what's next? I was wondering about additional expenses one has to make, before actually taking off in the safest and most comfy way.
Are there extra costs few people realize that need to be made, just after delivery? Registration taxes, or other burocratic charges? Particular fees that suddenly pop up...? What about a life-raft? (Or does Lagoon provide one?) Bed linnen? (It's a brand new boat after all.) Epirb? Personal floating devices? Emergency kit, pharmacy products, flags, pavilions,... (thinking out loud)

I'm asking because all these extra expenses, in the end, add up. I've understood a yacht is a black hole when it comes to money , but at least for the very first weeks after delivery I want to have a better understanding of what to expect. :big grin: Are there costs you were surprised off? You did not anticipate on? People who have the new cat delivered by Lagoon : please shine your light! Much much appreciated!
eugene presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 18:41   #2

Re: after delivery...?

Bump... I'm considering buying ex France and would also be interested to hear from those who have done it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 06:31   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

We had a 400 S2 last June and left the UK early August. The boat comes bare except for 8 fenders and 4 x warps. We spent about £8000 that covered the following general items, bear in mind that I wanted to spec the boat up to ARC standards including a para anchor:
Dan Buoy, a Jon Buoy, a KIM MOB Rescue Sling, a weighted throwing line, Spinlock Life jackets, a Spinlock Bosun's Chair, an EPIRB, a good handheld VHF DSC radio, PLB's for the life jackets (to show up on AIS), a Fortress Kedge Anchor with leaded line and additional warp, a 6 man Ocean Safety Liferaft, a Highfield 3.1M RIB + 15hp Honda outboard, additional straight and 4 large round fenders, powerful hand held halogen searchlight, additional ropes to act as spring lines, additional rations for the liferaft. The list is not exhaustive.
Hope this helps.
Old 28-07-2016, 07:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenn View Post
We had a 400 S2 last June and left the UK early August. The boat comes bare except for 8 fenders and 4 x warps. We spent about £8000 that covered the following general items, bear in mind that I wanted to spec the boat up to ARC standards including a para anchor:
Dan Buoy, a Jon Buoy, a KIM MOB Rescue Sling, a weighted throwing line, Spinlock Life jackets, a Spinlock Bosun's Chair, an EPIRB, a good handheld VHF DSC radio, PLB's for the life jackets (to show up on AIS), a Fortress Kedge Anchor with leaded line and additional warp, a 6 man Ocean Safety Liferaft, a Highfield 3.1M RIB + 15hp Honda outboard, additional straight and 4 large round fenders, powerful hand held halogen searchlight, additional ropes to act as spring lines, additional rations for the liferaft. The list is not exhaustive.
Hope this helps.

This helps tremendously! Thank you so much thepenn!
Did you got help composing these items? Is there a list you followed, in order to not forget anything? Or just logical thinking?
Old 28-07-2016, 08:46   #5
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
We had a 400 S2 last June and left the UK early August. The boat comes bare except for 8 fenders and 4 x warps. We spent about £8000 that covered the following general items...
8K is dang cheap for all that. I assume u used a port card discount.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 17:37   #6

[QUOTE=SaltyMonkey;2176833]8K is dang cheap :QUOTE]

That's Great British Pounds. While we are assuming; if these purchases were made before the Brixit debacle, that would have been close to US $12k.

Good choice of equipment, Thepenn , but when outfitting a new vessel there are many items that you neglected to include, such as;
Other safety equipment (flares, horn, torches, etc.), linen (custom fitted sheets can be expensive ), fuel cans, weather gear">foul weather gear, crockery, cutlery, pots and pans, spare ground tackle (additional to kedge), charts and cartography chips, storage crates and waterproof boxes and spares for everything from fuses to filters.
Obviously, if this is not your first boat you will have some of these items.

When asking the question; "What else do I need?" the lovely people at the chandlery will have boundless suggestions! ☺
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 18:55   #7

Anyone know about the chandleries in La Rochelle? Is it easy to get gear there?

Old 28-07-2016, 21:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Anyone know about the chandleries in La Rochelle? Is it easy to get gear there?

YES. It is France's largest Atlantic recreational boat harbour.
I was there in October last year; everything your heart could desire is available from several large chandleries. Including some tres chic folding bicycles.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 00:42   #9

Eugene, my apologies, you can double the 8 to 16k. As tuskie mentioned, it did not include a number of other items. I worked from a list compiled over 2 years, including the ARC list. We were also buying items ahead of delivery and salting them away for later. In fact, the total spend would probably be nearer 18k. Since leaving the UK we have probably spent an additional 1k (pounds) on bespoke warps with springs and extra shackles. Kitting out a bare boat is not cheap. I am only now looking at solar.
Old 29-07-2016, 01:28   #10

I'm so grateful for your feedback, thanks a lot! Financing a new Lagoon is one thing, but then, once delivered, outfitting it is another aspect, also financially. It was my impression such a cost was never really discussed within the pages of this forum... And 18k is a substantial amount of money, after all.

So to be safe, saving up another 20.000€ is common sense? Besides tools/items, were there sudden charges or fees that popped up?
Old 01-08-2016, 05:36   #11

Hi Eugene,
I bought a portable icemaker from Amazon UK for £120, cheaper than the factory option although we do buy bags of ice when we want to. We pay $250 per year for sailmail since we fitted an ICOM802 SSB DSC Radio (additional cost). The other costs to expect are servicing costs on engines and generator by a dealer in order to keep within warranty terms.
Our boat is one year old, we have just had a 500 hour service done and we now have to have the saildrive seals done at additional cost and a warranty claim for the clutch on one saildrive (SD60) unit (problems at 490 hours). It's possible that the SD60 units are gaining a similar reputation as the SD50 units did, I hope not and further hope that we don't have any more clutch issues.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:11   #12

What are the worthwhile chandleries in La Rochelle?

I've looked at http://www.uchimata-shop.fr/

For non France speakers using google chrome and auto translate helps.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:34   #13

Boat: TBA

Depends greatly on where you are taking the boat to and if your crossing the pond , but i'd be spending a few bucks on spares for the motors, rigging etc,

Motor/s- spare oil , oil filters, water filters,fuel filters hose clamps, spare hose of a few types.

Rigging a few spare shackles at least a couple of spare lines in case of a fray and maybe a spare block or two.

Electrical- spare fuses to fit everything on board (don't forget to look for any fuse hidden for navigation instruments and auto pilot

Other things i feel are another autopilot motor and a spare water pump and last but not least a tool kit with spanners to fit All the nuts required and a good lever to tension belts, screwdrivers filter wrenchs etc

Plus all of the gear in above Posts

For some its more gear than they have owed in their life but if you have it onboard and don't know how to use it then someone on a phone could talk you through it and get you out of trouble (many cruisers have a full tool kit, coastal cruisers some nothing)
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 15:29   #14
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Hi Eugene,

I bought a portable icemaker from Amazon UK for £120, cheaper than the factory option although we do buy bags of ice when we want to. We pay $250 per year for sailmail since we fitted an ICOM802 SSB DSC Radio (additional cost). The other costs to expect are servicing costs on engines and generator by a dealer in order to keep within warranty terms.

Our boat is one year old, we have just had a 500 hour service done and we now have to have the saildrive seals done at additional cost and a warranty claim for the clutch on one saildrive (SD60) unit (problems at 490 hours). It's possible that the SD60 units are gaining a similar reputation as the SD50 units did, I hope not and further hope that we don't have any more clutch issues.

We have an L450 with the Saildrives and have never had an issue, we are at 650 hours.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃

Tags
delivery