Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 16:40   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
SAILING CREW NEEDED October 3-9 MOSS LANDING to SAN FRANCISCO (Brisbane)

Hello!

I recently bought a Catalina 30 which has an intermittently reliable atomic 4 engine. The engine works reliably for up to around 40 minutes, at which point it likes to take a little rest to cool off before starting up again

I will need to sail the boat north 90 miles to the Brisbane Marina during the first week of October.

If anyone is available to crew over the Colombus day weekend, I am happy to leave from Moss Landing anytime beginning on the evening of October 3rd. I will need to be in the slip at Brisbane by Monday, Colombus day, October 9th.

Last night I motored out with the boat, about two miles, until the engine stopped. (likely a heat issue). After a pause, the engine consistenly starts right back up. I was able to easily sail the boat back into the slip with a good wind and bit of rudder waggling during the last few feet

The boat has recently undergone a survey and is in fine sailing condition. For this and the aforementioned reasons, the trip will be a SAILING trip north, tacking against the wind.

I am open to sailing and resting in shifts the whole way, or to stopping. Possible stopping points with amenities would include Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Half Moon Bay.

The boat is equipped with all of the necessary safety equipment (radios, emergency beacons, PFDs, flares, etc extra fuel), as well as an inflatable dinghy on the bow and I do have vessel assist coverage the whole way in case of a 'real emergency', but she sails so beautifully that I really don't foresee any actual need to use it. We will also be within cell phone coverage during many portions of the trip as well, adding yet another layer of safety coverage.

I am new to sailing and would really like to make the trip with at least one person who has solid sailing skills. The boat has a comfortable queen-sized bed in the main cabin, as well as a good sized v berth, and a comfortable rear berth for sleeping, so it could accommodate up to four people total, however two or three seems like a better number to me.

This trip will be a crash course for me in sailing, and I'm very grateful for anyone with the appropriate skills willing to make it with me.

Thanks a whole lot for getting back to me ASAP if you may be interested!

Nick

503 446 7067
nicholaszacherl@gmail.com
zach0036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 14:38   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: SAILING CREW NEEDED October 3-9 MOSS LANDING to SAN FRANCISCO (Brisbane)

Quote:
I am open to sailing and resting in shifts the whole way, or to stopping. Possible stopping points with amenities would include Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Half Moon Bay.
Hi Nick,

I'm a little far away to be of help, but can't help noticing your proposed itinerary...

Stopping in Monterey ?? That's going the wrong way, mate! Santa Cruz and HMB are certainly better choices, realizing that Santa Cruz would add some miles to the voyage.

Good luck with finding a mentor/crew person, and have a nice trip.

Oh... you might want to have a look at the simple things that could be causing the overheat... impellers, clogged intakes, clogged exhaust, etc. Anemic fours are pretty simple engines, so shouldn't be too hard to find.

Jim
Old 22-09-2017, 16:10   #3

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

I'll vouch for Nick without hesitation - he's a friendly guy with a humble attitude that is eager to learn. I wish I could go with him but unfortunately the journey doesn't coincide well with my circumnavigation prep.
Old 24-09-2017, 15:43   #4

Hi there, I am a professional sailor over 22 yrs experience, and delivering and fixing boats for all this time, I just would like to know if you are able to pay for my expenses, and my day work.
kind regards
itororo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 17:42   #5

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Nick,
I have spent a little time in Moss Landing and not sure that we met. I had a bit of a laugh when you describe the function of your motor.
Very difficult to find unpaid crew under the conditions you describe however, some good old local boys might help you out. I remember a few that bought boats and knew nothing about sailing, probably pretty seasoned now. I was really impressed with some of the things they pulled off. Good Luck to you. It can get crazy in San Francisco. If that is your destination, you should be ready for it.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 22:52   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Nick, Your inexperience is showing--you never want to sail on a scheduled day 6 months in the future.

I'm pretty sure that my brother could probably get the A4 running, as he has been whispering to one in his C27 for over 10 year, and it purrs like a kitten.

If the engine is working, the run up to the bay is pretty easy--leave about 10 pm and motor. If the motor is not cooperating, its a daysail to Santa Cruz, and then it could be a tough 24+ hours to SFO. The wind will either be light or heavy, but it will be on the nose, and C30's are not known for their windward ability. If we get tired of it, we can always drop the pick behind Anno Nuevo or in Half Moon Bay--I assume you have a working anchor?

Us old farts don't charge by the mile or the day, but we do require the owner to have a flexible schedule so we don't drift for days or bash our brains out.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 23:15   #7

Nick hasn't been here for 6 months so i doubt he's listening

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane, crew, sail, sailing, san francisco