Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2017, 10:47   #1

Need boat delivered Toronto to Bahamas

HI ,I have a decent 1974 32 Douglas that I was going to sail the ICW to Bahamas last month ...then I bent my leg 90 degrees the wrong way and I will be wearing a brace for 10 more weeks ....So I should be good to go by Christmas .
A buddy suggested that I post my situation and see if there was a qualified sailor interested in making the trip this fall.
The boat is exceptional for a 1974...garage and custom cover most of its life ...low hours Volvo MD2B...interior is in middle of tuneup ....but everything works.Boat is insured. Real nice to sail.
Expenses and costs and to be discussed ...

cheers
Bill
billgem123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 11:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Need boat delivered Toronto to Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgem123 View Post
HI ,I have a decent 1974 32 Douglas that I was going to sail the ICW to Bahamas last month ...then I bent my leg 90 degrees the wrong way and I will be wearing a brace for 10 more weeks ....So I should be good to go by Christmas .
A buddy suggested that I post my situation and see if there was a qualified sailor interested in making the trip this fall.
The boat is exceptional for a 1974...garage and custom cover most of its life ...low hours Volvo MD2B...interior is in middle of tuneup ....but everything works.Boat is insured. Real nice to sail.

cheers
Bill
Howdy Bill.

Sorry to hear about your busted leg.

Your post above is not real clear about what you mean. Do you mean you want crew to help you in December, when your leg is better?

Or do you mean that you want others (a Delivery Captain and crew) to take the boat NOW (September) down from Toronto to Bahamas, where you will join the boat in December when you are able?

Your OP is not clear whether you are asking for crew to join you or to take the boat for you (you would not be on the boat).

As far as taking the boat from Toronto to the ICW, I suspect you mean through the Erie Canal or the New York Canal System. You should clarify that in your post. You could add that clarification in a new comment in this thread, as you won't be able to edit the Original Post (OP) after you posted it.

That boat move would have to be done soon. The canal system in New York stops navigation in the Winter. The 2017 season is May 19 to October 11.

Hours of Operation - New York State Canals

Good luck. I hope this helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 14:37   #3

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Bump. Hope someone can help you out before they close the route.

That is a trip I would love to do. However, I have my own move coming up, first week of October.
Old 17-09-2017, 09:50   #4

Thanks for feedback...to clarify my position on the boat move ....I was hoping to find someone qualified and available to move the boat to the Bahamas before the canal system closes Oct 11...I will meet up in the Bahamas sometime in December.....I have researched but not done the trip myself yet...so I am open suggestions
cheers
Old 17-09-2017, 10:24   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Quote:
Thanks for feedback...to clarify my position on the boat move ....I was hoping to find someone qualified and available to move the boat to the Bahamas before the canal system closes Oct 11...I will meet up in the Bahamas sometime in December.....I have researched but not done the trip myself yet...so I am open suggestions
cheers
Some pictures would help.

How much fuel does this burn an hour? About a 20gal tank correct?

How will you handle boat expenses? Will you give the Capt a credit card for fuel and food and dockage etc?

All boaters entering The Bahamas are required to pay an entry fee.
a) For boats up to 35', the fee is $150.00

Does anyone know if the Bahamas entry fee is cash only?

Do you have a dinghy and outboard?
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 11:52   #6

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I was under the impression you'd need to pull the mast for the New York canals.

The ICW doesn't close in the winter, and if the Chesapeake ices over, it's usually later in the winter. I don't believe they get ice as far south as Solomans MD. Perhaps you might consider having it delivered part way, and you could take over the trip to The Bahamas in Dec?

IIRC, the entrance fee is "cash only".
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 13:54   #7

I am working on pics ...fuel unknown... fuel tank is 20 gallons and has barely moved....MD2B is know for fuel economy...there is a 5 gallon yellow fuel can
I figured another one would be prudent
credit card or debit is a good idea easy to top up ...have to define expenses...yours ..mine
I have a dingy and motor ...not set up for this boat YET ..but holds air and motor runs well

I attached some pics ...not my first choice but I will take a video when I get down to boat

cheers
Old 17-09-2017, 14:32   #8

Boat: Douglas 32

I have known Bill for several months, and helped in the launch and masting of his boat, but am unable to take two months off to move his boat for him. I feel the boat can handle the trip with ease, I did it in a sister boat in 1982.
Here is Unicorn:
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 15:49   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

For the canal you will likely want more diesel jugs if you are really trying to make miles. Good luck with your leg.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 16:05   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
...and if the Chesapeake ices over, it's usually later in the winter. I don't believe they get ice as far south as Solomans MD. Perhaps you might consider having it delivered part way, and you could take over the trip to The Bahamas in Dec?
The channel south through the Chesapeake remains navigable throughout the winter except in extremely unusual circumstances, and those usually happen in February. If he's heading south at that point he should just turn around and head back lol.

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 16:13   #11

Thanks for the positive support Kim
Old 17-09-2017, 16:51   #12

Boat: Columbia 35

Hi Bill....can you PM me at forestlogic@hotmail.com I might be available to do this for you if you wish to discuss further. Thanks, Brian
bluewaterdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 06:21   #13

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Like I said earlier in the thread, I can't commit to the entire trip in time to get it through the NY canals. But if you find someone that can get it further south, like bluewaterdreams above, I could probably make time to assist them or takeover for the ICW portion of the trip. I've done VA, NC ICW several times and pieces of it here and there further south but mostly outside beyond NC.
Old 20-09-2017, 10:37   #14

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:

cheers
Bill
Hi Bill. I'm in Toronto and can probably do this for you. I sail a Heritage 35 out of Mimico. I've done 5 Trans Atlantics and have have been down the ICW as far as Wilmington NC. PM me if you wish and we can discuss the trip. Thanks Noel
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 05:16   #15

Kalinka1 - When you say transatlantic, do you mean across to Europe, or down the west coast to the Caribbean, etc? Many of the guys/girls in the US/Canada etc dont mean a to or from Europe, and are totally unprepared for a real atlantic crossing.
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, boat