Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2017, 17:58   #1

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Three sailors rescued after capsize off Iceland

Retired Richmond-area teacher rescued after storm rolls sailboat in near freezing temps near Iceland | Local News | richmond.com

Retired Richmond-area teacher rescued after storm rolls sailboat in near freezing temps near Iceland

By BILL LOHMANN Richmond Times-Dispatch 9 hrs ago

Three Virginia sailors, including a recently retired teacher from Richmond, were plucked from the cold waters of the North Atlantic on Wednesday after their 40-foot sailboat rolled over in stormy seas 200 miles off the coast of Iceland.

The men were in good condition and still on board the Icelandic Coast Guard research vessel today as it headed to Iceland, said Carol Piersol of Richmond, whose husband, Morrie, 65, was among the rescued.

“They’re OK,” said Carol Piersol, who spoke with her husband from a phone aboard the ship. “There are a lot of things that could have happened: drowning, hypothermia, head injuries when you’re tossed around like that.”

She expressed her gratitude for the Icelandic Coast Guard, the Royal Danish Air Force and the crew of the research vessel Árni Fririksson that rescued the men.

“The crew was unbelievable,” Carol Piersol said in a phone interview. “They were so nice to them and supportive. The crew found state rooms for each of them, washed their clothes and fed them.”

She said her husband and the two other men — boat captain Wes Jones, 74, of Gloucester County and Bobby Forrest of Mathews County — were experienced sailors, “but you can’t predict the weather.”

According to an article posted on its website by Iceland Review, a Reykjavik magazine, the men sent out a distress signal at 4:30 a.m. local time Wednesday. The ship’s mast had broken, and it had lost power in deep water well off the southwest coast of Iceland.

“When the call was received, the worst was feared, as the yacht’s distress signal was activated manually, indicating that the situation was likely to be very serious,” according to Iceland Review. “The Icelandic Coast Guard’s research vessel Árni Fririksson was 30 nautical miles away at the time and immediately set off for the site.

“In addition to the Árni Fririksson, the Danish Air Force also deployed a patrol plane from Greenland. Isavia, the Icelandic company that operates all airports and air services in Iceland, also sent out a plane equipped with a powerful tracking device. It was this plane that found the yacht at 11:00 a.m.”

Based on her conversation with her husband, Carol Piersol said the boat, a sloop named “Valiant,” had been buffeted by winds of 50 mph and rolled over in 20-foot seas, smashing the mast and rigging and dumping the men in the water. The air temperature was about 40 degrees, she said.

“Morrie said he thought he was going to drown,” she said.

But the keel remained intact, and the boat eventually righted itself, though it was flooded. The men started bailing and stripping off and wringing out their soaked clothes, then cutting a foam mattress pad in three pieces and wrapping it around their cores in an attempt to stay warm and avoid hypothermia.

They spotted a search plane overhead and were able to contact the crew through an emergency radio in their life raft. The research vessel was closest to the damaged boat and was dispatched to the scene, where it rescued the men about seven hours after the boat rolled over.

The Valiant left the Fishing Bay Yacht Club in Deltaville on July 1. The sailing itinerary included planned stops in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Greenland and ultimately Iceland, but the Greenland port was iced in, requiring the men to undertake a longer-than-planned trip between St. John’s, Newfoundland, and Reykjavik.

Carol Piersol said her husband has sailed all his life, and he often has brought boats back from Bermuda and other off-shore locales. “But nothing quite like this,” she said.

He retired last month from the Appomattox Regional Governor’s School for the Arts and Technology in Petersburg, where he taught theater.

“He figured he was retired and he had plenty of time to do whatever he wanted,” she said of his decision to go on the trip.

The men were due to arrive in Iceland aboard the research vessel on Friday, she said.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 21:15   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Three sailors rescued after capsize off Iceland

It really isn't very surprising the boat was rolled. The picture below shows them just before they left St John's. This boat is just way overloaded. It's the outside vessel.
Old 08-08-2017, 22:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They were very lucky to survive.
The cold water, cold air temp, high winds, dismasting, and rollover could have led to deaths.
Lucky.

The boat they were on looks low in the water, especially when compared to the other sailboats next to it in the photo. But some designs do have low freeboard to start with.

A couple of weeks ago I was tied up in that same place in St. John's, literally in the very same spot. Next to the boat I was on was another boat that was going to Ireland, and it was also an older boat with low freeboard. I hope they did not encounter similar difficulty.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 22:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
They were very lucky to survive.
The cold water, cold air temp, high winds, dismasting, and rollover could have led to deaths.
Lucky.

The boat they were on looks low in the water, especially when compared to the other sailboats next to it in the photo. But some designs do have low freeboard to start with.

A couple of weeks ago I was tied up in that same place in St. John's, literally in the very same spot. Next to the boat I was on was another boat that was going to Ireland, and it was also an older boat with low freeboard. I hope they did not encounter similar difficulty.
The inner boat in the pic is Terrapin, they left for Ireland but made land fall in Portugal or Spain.
The outer boat Valiant looks way below it's waterline to me in the pic.
Old 09-08-2017, 00:28   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The inner boat in the pic is Terrapin, they left for Ireland but made land fall in Portugal or Spain.
The outer boat Valiant looks way below it's waterline to me in the pic.
good grief, Paul! She looks like she's already sinking! No sign of a waterline stripe, boot topping or any such thing. Do we know what design Valiant was?

Jim
Old 09-08-2017, 00:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
good grief, Paul! She looks like she's already sinking! No sign of a waterline stripe, boot topping or any such thing. Do we know what design Valiant was?

Jim
Don't know what type boat it is. From the USCG documentation it is 39.8ft built in 1983. No builder listed.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:01   #7

Boat: LAGOON 400

"But the keel remained intact, and the boat eventually righted itself, though it was flooded."

that does not sound like boat righted within 50 seconds as claimed to be the rule for monos by CF experts.

little bit of preparation goes long way to survive roll, instead of trusting in <50 secs rule. Looks like these guys done their homework.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:13   #8

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Very fortunate they had an Epirb. .
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:31   #9

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

There are three guys all forward of the mast in that pic. I wonder how much an extra 500-600 lbs weighs down the bow and creates a false impression of them being overloaded. I would think that on a 40-footer it shouldn't affect trim all that much, but just something to consider.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:38   #10

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Doesn't look like bow is momentarily overloaded to me. Red stripe looks reasonable parallel to the water for me.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:36   #11

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I am confused now. That boat looks too small to be a 40 footer. And yes, it looks horribly overloaded. Even taking into consideration the three blokes near the front, I cannot believe the bow should be down that far.

Confused!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-08-2017, 04:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Doesn't look like bow is momentarily overloaded to me. Red stripe looks reasonable parallel to the water for me.

I assume you are being ironic?

Old 09-08-2017, 04:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
There are three guys all forward of the mast in that pic. I wonder how much an extra 500-600 lbs weighs down the bow and creates a false impression of them being overloaded. I would think that on a 40-footer it shouldn't affect trim all that much, but just something to consider.

Only one of those guys is significantly forward of the mast. The other two look near parallel with the mast and the port side guy looks to be standing between the port side stays.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:40   #14

Boat: Ovni 395

Here is another picture of the boat - sits pretty low in the water as I see it.

http://www.gazettejournal.net/images...ue_valiant.jpg
xslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:39   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xslim View Post
Here is another picture of the boat - sits pretty low in the water as I see it.

http://www.gazettejournal.net/images...ue_valiant.jpg
Looking at that photo, which shows the stern, it does appear to be sitting low in the water.

It also looks like a light or ultralight boat designed for day sailing or racing, not for cruising loads.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, Iceland, rescue, sail, size