Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 10:21   #1

Boat: None yet.
Buying a boat in Europe, but where and when?

I'm looking to buy a cruising sailboat in the next 1-2 years. I'm living in Finland and the market here is thin and expensive compared to western europe. I haven't yet decided exactly what boat i want, and probably won't until the actual time of purchase. But so far I think it will be around 33 to 40 ft size, from the 80's or 90's. I'm not especially afraid of old charter boats, since the boat will be examined by a surveyor anyway.

I've already been looking at the offerings on yachtworld and apolloduck, but I assume that not all boats are listed online, so before actually buying any boats, i'd like to take a trip around europe to see what kind of boats are on the market and what do I actually get for my money. So Id like to get recommendations of cities / marinas / boatyards that have most boats for sale in a reasonable driving distance?

I would also like to know if there is much difference in asking prices between spring and autumn?

Thanks
Boaterboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:53   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Buying a boat in Europe, but where and when?

Welcome to CF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaterboater View Post
But so far I think it will be around 33 to 40 ft size, from the 80's or 90's.
//
So Id like to get recommendations of cities / marinas / boatyards that have most boats for sale in a reasonable driving distance?
Not sure what you consider a reasonable driving distance, but in the Netherlands a lot of boats are sold w/out using a broker or they remain in their home marina, so they're all over the country. We have "verkoop havens" (marina's with boats for sale) but only looking at them is looking at a limited selection of boats.

Instead of flying out and driving all over Western Europe, looking online at some local sites might be a better choice? Even if just to see if a country is worth a visit.

Some popular Dutch sites:

Boten te koop: Zeiljachten te koop op www.botentekoop.nl
Botenbank: Zeiljachten te koop op www.botentekoop.nl
Marktplaats: ≥ Vind kajuitzeilboot in Kajuitzeilboten en Zeiljachten op Marktplaats.nl
Schepenkring: Jachten te koop | Schepenkring Yachtbrokers: de Jachtmakelaar van Nederland.

↓ notice my boat was built in Finland
Old 02-03-2016, 11:09   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Throughout the Med, there is no apparent difference between spring and autumn prices. In Northern France, Germany, Holland, etc. there is.

In Spain, Barcelona is the biggest market but there will be also many boats in marinas further South and some in the Balearic Islands too. Canary Islands have nearly nothing to offer.

This year there was a major sell off in Italy as I guess resulting from some kind of legal action. Such moments are a good time for a buyer.

Allow for the fact that same 10 y.o boat in Finland will have spent 20% of its life in the water and the rest of it in a shed or at least under cover. It will also have received quality, annual haul out and maintenance. Boats in the Med spend nearly all their life in the water and they are scorched by the sun, have fewer and shorter haulouts and are (often) less carefully maintained - you may in fact be better off buying a slightly more expensive boat in Finland (if the make you want is locally (Finland, Sweden, Germany) available).

So, from my narrow yard (Spain): Barcelona, and the time of the year does not count.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:01   #4

Oops, I missed the question about time of year.

In the Netherlands, it does count as most boats are on the hard during the off-season (roughly October - March) and owners looking to sell usually don't mind if they don't have to pay for another winter storage

Not a huge difference, usually, but near the end of the season sellers do get more 'anxious' to sell which does help the buyer.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

The used boat market in the US is flooded with good boats, the depressed prices make sailing or shipping the boat to Europe attractive and the process of paying VAT (on a low invoice) and having the boat CE marked isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

Otherwise, The Netherlands has a lot of boats on the market, but whenever I see a boat with a "too-low" price, I want to have the engine inspected. That would usually be the biggest expense in a renovation.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
The used boat market in the US is flooded with good boats, the depressed prices make sailing or shipping the boat to Europe attractive
I've been checking the US market for a while, but so far it's usually more costly (or evens out) to buy in the US and arranging a delivery and importing the boat.
Especially for the kind of boats the OP is looking for - I'm more or less looking at the same (older monohulls, around 36' - 38' ft.). Can be worth it for the higher price range, tho, and I enjoy keeping an eye on what's out there

The Dutch boat market is slowly getting back on its feet again and prices are slowly going up a little. But with less and less people wanting to own a boat, I doubt this little trend will continue.

As to 'too low': I'd check everything thoroughly no matter what There are plenty of people that really, really want to sell their boat, as it is still a buyers market and it can take for ever. So prices can be low. But yes, there are some 'bad apples' in the mix for sure - there always are

On the bright side: we also have a few very good surveyors, one did his own circumnavigation as well. So if interested in buying here, OP, and you've found a boat, feel free to contact me for his details. He'd also be happy to help you select the right boat for your needs - which might be cheaper then flying out and driving around yourself just to look & select.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:49   #7

Boat: None yet.

Thanks for great tips. This was even more helpful than i thought =)
I had a feeling that yachtworld is more popular in some countries than others and the very first links to yachten te koop seem to offer just what i think i'm looking for. And the netherlands would be close enough to sail the boat back home to finland, instead of leaving it to the med and travelling back and forth before (if ever) moving in for a longer time. The Holland type (or thats what they are called here) steel motorboats have been popular here for years, but i have rarely heard about any sailbouts brought from there. But as I said, the market here is very slim and just a week ago we had the largest boatshow in finland and they had only 4 cruising sailboats on display this year and some hundred or more motorboats.

I've been following the listings in sweden for a while and they do have more boats for sale and the prices are sometimes even half of the asking prices in Finlad, so that is an option too. The word around here is that most of the time the Swedes take better care and install better equipment than in Finland. And although its time when hardly anyone can sail, the winters give us annual haulouts and buyers can easilly see the boats also on hard.

Originally i was thinking about the scandinavian type half tonners and similar, like Lizzy Belle's Ohlson and they are also cheaper in sweden than in Finland. But now i realised that i can save money bit faster than i thought and then saw those more modern cruising boats within my budget. I'm not thinking about flying around all of europe and thats why I'm asking here for great places to look for. I believe I'm still going t make a holiday trip at some point, maybe even with a camper and look for boats, mainly to figure out better what size of boat do i want or need and what can i get for my budget. And I have prepared to include some maintenance portion in to the budget, because even the best boats will have some surprises sooner or later.

It would be an adventure to get a boat from USA and sail around there, before sailing back to Europe, but at the moment i think i will also stick to the european markets.
Boaterboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:01   #8

Glad we could help! Feel free to PM me if I can help you out locally in some way at some point
Old 03-03-2016, 11:02   #9

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
The used boat market in the US is flooded with good boats, the depressed prices make sailing or shipping the boat to Europe attractive and the process of paying VAT (on a low invoice) and having the boat CE marked isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

Otherwise, The Netherlands has a lot of boats on the market, but whenever I see a boat with a "too-low" price, I want to have the engine inspected. That would usually be the biggest expense in a renovation.

I concur: I spent a lot of time driving in Europe and on line looking at vessels for sale and finally purchased in the US. Ft. Lauderdale area has more boats for sale than the whole of Europe and the same could be said of Annapolis/Baltimore. A number of yachtsmen I've met make a living purchasing in the US and sailing to Europe to sell.
Trinidad is a good place to purchase also. There is a yard there that sell on consignment boats that are new save one Atlantic Crossing. Europeans living out their retirement dream decide the life is not for them and leave the boat for sale and fly home.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 21:47   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Twin mast 17m motor sailor

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a cruising sailboat in the next 1-2 years. I'm living in Finland and the market here is thin and expensive compared to western europe. I haven't yet decided exactly what boat i want, and probably won't until the actual time of purchase. But so far I think it will be around 33 to 40 ft size, from the 80's or 90's. I'm not especially afraid of old charter boats, since the boat will be examined by a surveyor anyway.

I've already been looking at the offerings on yachtworld and apolloduck, but I assume that not all boats are listed online, so before actually buying any boats, i'd like to take a trip around europe to see what kind of boats are on the market and what do I actually get for my money. So Id like to get recommendations of cities / marinas / boatyards that have most boats for sale in a reasonable driving distance?

I would also like to know if there is much difference in asking prices between spring and autumn?

Thanks
Hello, I see you are searching for a yacht. If you are planning to "live" aboard the yacht you buy then on board space is what makes all the difference between living and existing. Our retirement plans have had to be changed so our very comfortable yacht is for sale. If interested contact me on windwizard4@gmail.com.

PF.
windwizard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:40   #11

Boat: Comar Comet 460

Preveza in Greece has three big yards with lots of boats

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Lidderdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
I concur: I spent a lot of time driving in Europe and on line looking at vessels for sale and finally purchased in the US. Ft. Lauderdale area has more boats for sale than the whole of Europe and the same could be said of Annapolis/Baltimore. A number of yachtsmen I've met make a living purchasing in the US and sailing to Europe to sell.
Trinidad is a good place to purchase also. There is a yard there that sell on consignment boats that are new save one Atlantic Crossing. Europeans living out their retirement dream decide the life is not for them and leave the boat for sale and fly home.
Are you sure that Florida has more boats for sale than all of Europe? Might be time to do your homework.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:06   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Here in France, most sailboats to sale are listed on the free "Le Bon Coin" website which is tremendously popular (with brokers as well, as it is free ;-) )
To get you started, I've prepared a link to all Bavaria boats between 30 000 and 100 000 € everywhere in France
https://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/of...t=1&ps=8&pe=14
Just enter some maker / model etc... in the top left line, select minimum and maximum asking price with the drop down menus below, hit the blue 'rechercher' button and there you are...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 23:35   #14
Marine Service Provider

For charter boats, buying in Europe in Autumn is less expensive since part of the charter revenue for the summer is deducted from the selling price of the boat. If you want a cheap boat, look for them in Greece, Turkey and Croacia. Be very aware of the boat condition and the maintenance schedule.

Quote:

Thanks
Old 07-03-2017, 14:46   #15

Greece is a good place to find any boat cheaper than in any other place in Europe.
takis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Europe, rope