Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 23:02   #1

Hp to displacement ratio

I'm currently looking at a 44 foot fibreglass Bruce Roberts design. As with all potential purchases there is something that doesn't excite me. This time it's engine size... it's running g a 49hp yanmar (or about that size I don't have full details at hand). Is this big enough for the displacement... and is there a ratio to work with here?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 23:14   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Hp to displacement ratio

2 hp per 1000 lb is typical for a sailboat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 23:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
2 hp per 1000 lb is typical for a sailboat.
Second that, 4-5 HP per tonne is generally reckoned to be about right for a sailboat.

If you were looking at a heavy displacement motorsailer, you could possibly double that.

Or if you want to get technical, here's a common formula which also factors in waterline length:

HP = (((DisplacementTonnes*75)*(1.4*(((LWL)^0.5)))*0.00 3)/0.45)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:00   #4

Unless you are planning on cruising in areas of very high currents, 49 HP should be fine. Most depends on what you want to do with the boat, and your sailing experience. If you are the type of person that wants to get from point A to point B regardless of weather or sea conditions, then you could do with more HP, but for cruising, 49 HP will do fine. Larger engines mean larger props, which means less performance under sail (unless you have a feathering prop), so you want to think about which is more important to you, sailing or motoring? I cruised a 44 foot, 30,000 lb boat for 8 years with an engine that would overheat if pushed, so I never ran it over 1800 RPM, which is less than 25 HP. It was enough for normal cruising, but going through the Panama Canal, I would have liked to have had more power. A true 49 HP would have been more than enough. I think the big question should be, does the rest of the boat fit your requirements, and does it appeal to your senses? A good survey will let you know the condition (good surveyors are hard to find), and have an engine survey done also. Too many modern sailors will recommend bigger and bigger engines, when a better sailing design and lots of practice sailing is far more important. I just went back and re-read your post, and maybe you could tell us a little about your experience level, and the area you plan on sailing or cruising? As with all things on CF, these are only my opinions. Good luck with whatever boat you decide on. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 13:11   #5

Thanks Grant
Here is a brief reply I got from the owner with engine specs and a link to the listing. We're looking for a cruiser to take us around New Zealand and into the Pacific once we have more experience. Current sailing experience has been the typical dingy heritage into 22 foot trailer yacht... so this would be our first keeler.

Hi Malcolm, construction is handlaid grp to Lloyd spec. engine is Yanmar 3jh2-te 46hp turbo with 3000hrs, filters changed every 100hrs. no leaks. over /under v berth fwd then small double aft of that to port and sea berth to stb.dining table with seats fwd/aft on stb side. sea berth on port side in saloon.going aft is galley, fridge then aft cabin. on stb side is radio station, tool locker, then head with bath shower over. has small power survivor watermaker but i never used it so membrane will probably need changing but there are others on board. Sails are 13 years old and in good shape for age, i had main strengthened on luff,leach and reef points. two headsails, two staysails and assymetrical mps in sock.i will replace gas califont( for hot water) when i return to nz, soft dodger* needs replacing but sound boat for ocean passages, simple and strong.
http://www.vinings.co.nz/v/e3e9b64f_...e875f04bb.html

Old 16-01-2016, 17:20   #6

nzmal, That listing looks like a good solid cruising boat. I am not at all familiar with NZ pricing, but it seems a bit pricey to an American. It seems like it has been well prepared and I am impressed with the ground tackle. You will learn that good ground tackle is the best insurance that a cruiser can have. Bolt a windvane on the back and you have a nice simple cruising boat. I had to laugh when you said your experience was a 22 foot trailer sailor, and you are moving up to a 44 foot cruiser. My last boat was a Peterson 44, and just a few hours ago I trailered home my new (to me) 22 foot Catalina. I think you will find that the sailing of the bigger boat wont be too much of a learning experience, other than size and muscle power needed to handle the sails, but learning proper anchoring techniques should be high on your " need to know list". The engine should be just fine if it checks out good after an engine survey. I wish you the best of luck. _____Grant.
Old 16-01-2016, 17:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
nzmal, That listing looks like a good solid cruising boat. I am not at all familiar with NZ pricing, but it seems a bit pricey to an American.
1 NZD = 0.65USD so that 125,000 is only a bit over 80,000USD
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 22:12   #8

Thanks Stu. 80K sounds far more reasonable than 125K U.S. I suspect that they will do well with the boat. ____Grant.
Old 17-01-2016, 00:12   #9

Sounds pretty typical for that size boat.

Assuming the engine is in good shape and mated to an appropriate transmission and prop, should be fine.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 03:23   #10

Thanks everyone. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Tags
displacement, men