Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 14:05   #1

Florida Daysailing ??

Hi Friends,
Wife Retiring and contemplating a move to
the east coast of Florida next year.
Fort Lauderdale and north.
I’m already retired.
Wife is not a sailor so selling up
and adopting the cruising life is not likely.
Presently I get my sailing fix two ways,

1. I crew a lot, both deliveries and volunteer crew,
and usually do 4-5 cruises a year. Great for me,
meet lots of wonderful people,make new friends, sail on many different boats , travel internationally
and try never to do the same route twice.

2. I have a daysailer on a nearby lake that I mostly
sail single handed. It’s drysailed and launched
and retrieved daily, but stored at the ramp.
I get out 2-3 times a week

So, My question is, What and where are the Daysailing opportunities in this part of Florida?
In the best possible world I’d like to duplicate
what I have up here in western NJ.

Any info greatly appreciated

Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 14:49   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Florida Daysailing ??

I don't sail in the area you are asking about, however, I do travel to the east coast, (West Palm and Lauderdale-By-The-Sea), to go diving. It seems to me that in that area you are either in the AICW or you are in the Atlantic Ocean. The AICW in that area is basically a 275' wide canal with a lot of bridges....... And there are only a few passes to the Atlantic.

As far as day sailing, you would probably do better on the west coast of FL. We have many more protected bays and inland waterways than the east coast.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 14:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Hi Friends,
Wife Retiring and contemplating a move to
the east coast of Florida next year.
Fort Lauderdale and north.
I’m already retired.
Wife is not a sailor so selling up
and adopting the cruising life is not likely.
Presently I get my sailing fix two ways,

1. I crew a lot, both deliveries and volunteer crew,
and usually do 4-5 cruises a year. Great for me,
meet lots of wonderful people,make new friends, sail on many different boats , travel internationally
and try never to do the same route twice.

2. I have a daysailer on a nearby lake that I mostly
sail single handed. It’s drysailed and launched
and retrieved daily, but stored at the ramp.
I get out 2-3 times a week

So, My question is, What and where are the Daysailing opportunities in this part of Florida?
In the best possible world I’d like to duplicate
what I have up here in western NJ.

Any info greatly appreciated

Cheers
Neil
GREAT sailing on that coast. Suggest at least a 33-34’ boat and sail out of Hillsboro inlet. Boca is not sailboat friendly in all conditions. Hillsboro may kick you in the pants on the way in, but is doable. You really need a larger boat as the conditions can be bouncy. If buying on the water, dont let the realtors BS you. You want to be very close to the inlet. Or find a “friend” on Craigslist who has a dock you can rent.

Moved to St Petersburg for family reasons, and discovered it is a Day sailors paradise.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 14:58   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Hillsboro is fine for daysailing, but when current is against strong winds you know what it can be like.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 15:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There are a few places on the Florida East Coast that offer access to an all weather excellent inlet and a wide expanse of protected water for easy day sailing without breaking the inlet or excessive tidal currents. From north to south these are:

1- The wide areas of the St. Johns River south of Jacksonville. Lots of sailing area and marinas, but hours from the ocean inlet.
2- The Indian River from Titusville to Grant Farm Island. Mostly north-south sailing with some wider areas allowing a reasonable depth. Like Jacksonville, pretty far to the ocean inlet.
3- The area around Stuart on both the east an west sides of the Roosevelt Bridge. Ocean access at St. Lucie Inlet and access to the west coast via the Okeechobee Waterway with a ca. 45' mast clearance.
4. Biscayne Bay south of Rickenbaker Causeway down to Card Sound. Easy ocean access, but a little south of your listed area.

My choice among these is the St. Johns River,- not as expensive, more wilderness and good hurricane protection. Extensive cruising among clear fresh water springs south of the 45' fixed bridge at Green Cove Springs.
Old 08-09-2018, 16:47   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

What size boat do you have or are planning to get? A small 15-20' daysailer isn't suitable for ocean sailing which is the only thing available near Ft Lauderdale. And I don't really consider single handed sailing out in the ocean much fun any way.

The nearest place where you can find inshore water similar to a lake is Biscayne Bay. But it will be horribly expensive to dock a boat down there. Some of the yacht clubs near Dinner Key at Coconut Grove look like they have trailer storage areas for small boats but I bet the club fees will be a killer.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 17:04   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
There are a few places on the Florida East Coast that offer access to an all weather excellent inlet and a wide expanse of protected water for easy day sailing without breaking the inlet or excessive tidal currents. From north to south these are:

1- The wide areas of the St. Johns River south of Jacksonville. Lots of sailing area and marinas, but hours from the ocean inlet.
2- The Indian River from Titusville to Grant Farm Island. Mostly north-south sailing with some wider areas allowing a reasonable depth. Like Jacksonville, pretty far to the ocean inlet.
3- The area around Stuart on both the east an west sides of the Roosevelt Bridge. Ocean access at St. Lucie Inlet and access to the west coast via the Okeechobee Waterway with a ca. 45' mast clearance.
4. Biscayne Bay south of Rickenbaker Causeway down to Card Sound. Easy ocean access, but a little south of your listed area.

My choice among these is the St. Johns River,- not as expensive, more wilderness and good hurricane protection. Extensive cruising among clear fresh water springs south of the 45' fixed bridge at Green Cove Springs.

The above says it all as far as east coast FL goes.
Old 08-09-2018, 18:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Hillsboro is fine for daysailing, but when current is against strong winds you know what it can be like.
Like I said it will kick you in the pants!

Many times I buried the bow on my T-33 going out, and surfed her in. Definitely need to be comfortable with a jackline, harness and tether— even added a hard point at the helm. But man it is fun sailing on those days.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:45   #9

Thanx to all who have responded
Looks like Biscayne Bay is kind of what I’m looking for
A bit more info: By a “daysailer” here are the boats that I’ve
sailed on my lake, O’Day Mariner, Precision 23, O’Day Daysailer,
S26.9, Hunter 19 and various Hobie Cats.
I’ve had also owned an Ericson 27 for a few years.
Crewed on boats up to 56’ monos and 45’ Cats.
I think I might look into sailing clubs on or near Biscayne Bay
Suggestions welcome,
Really don’t want to buy a bigger boat as I do believe
the financial responsibility would cut down on my
crewing time & travel and lock me into a smaller cruising area.
I have a coal of putting together various crewing passages
that when linked together form a circumnavigation by my 70th.
Have 6 more years to complete.
But who knows might wind up with a 30’ and wander around the Bahamas.
Once again, thanx to all
Cheers
Neil
Old 09-09-2018, 13:39   #10
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Hudson Force summarized ICW nicely. Biscayne Bay is way South of where you indicated. Consider being close to an Inlet as the wind on the ICW isn’t always great and there is still traffic in the channel to contend with depending on your draft. I also avoid the draw bridges and locks whenever I can.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 15:43   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Florida Daysailing ??

Tampa Bay, Panama City?
Never mind, see your from NJ, so yes East coast.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 17:38   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

St Pete, Florida .. best marina with clear water and day sailing. east coast not good unless you head north to the Indian River or Jacksonville. IMHO.
Old 09-09-2018, 19:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Tampa Bay, Panama City?
Never mind, see your from NJ, so yes East coast.
LOL! I caught that being that I ve lived in nj for over ten yrs😁

Indian River Lagoon, Banana River, Merrit Island, Cocoa FL areas are fine day sailing areas, especially cboard boats.I lived and sailed there for five years enjoyed the fishing and sailing. Lots of folks getting older with boats always looking for crew. Cheaper than owning your own, even if you bring the food and drinks full cooler for the day like I did😀

West Coast of FL is definitely shallower water which encourages smaller centerboard boats that are trailered. I think you wife may prefer the relaxed peacefulness of the Sarasota and South areas of the West Coast of FL if she s retiring from a high stress job. The daily traffic on the East Coast will remind her too much of her rt 22 commute, if she worked out there here in nj. You can drive to anywhere in fl to get your sailing fix, where you live will affect your marriage. Jmo.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 21:12   #14

Boat: Boatless

www.cgsc.org on Biscayne Bay is a great club to sail out of.

It has a 28 and a 30 ft Beneteau in a Club program that you can use for $75/month, 3 ensigns for member use, a race fleet and annual regattas that encourage members to crew.

It is 10 minutes out to one of the Country's premier sailing areas and 55 miles to Bimini.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 14:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
LOL! I caught that being that I ve lived in nj for over ten yrs😁

Indian River Lagoon, Banana River, Merrit Island, Cocoa FL areas are fine day sailing areas, especially cboard boats.I lived and sailed there for five years enjoyed the fishing and sailing. Lots of folks getting older with boats always looking for crew. Cheaper than owning your own, even if you bring the food and drinks full cooler for the day like I did😀

West Coast of FL is definitely shallower water which encourages smaller centerboard boats that are trailered. I think you wife may prefer the relaxed peacefulness of the Sarasota and South areas of the West Coast of FL if she s retiring from a high stress job. The daily traffic on the East Coast will remind her too much of her rt 22 commute, if she worked out there here in nj. You can drive to anywhere in fl to get your sailing fix, where you live will affect your marriage. Jmo.
Thanks Clamdigger,
I agree completely, wife wants east coast as she has
many friends there. I’m way more flexible and St. Pete would be my choice. However not a battle worth
fighting. Rt.22 doesn’t come close to 206
We are out in Hunterdon County so anyplace in
Fla is gonna hurt.
Cheers
Neil

Tags
florida, sail, sailing