Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2018, 12:21   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)
Rigging a Walder boom brake with separate control and brake lines?

I'm looking at adding a Walder boom brake (the 403 H, which handles up to 80 m2, and my sails are 67 m2). I like the Dutchman system where they rig the brake line as a fixed line, and then have a separate control line from the top of the brake, through a block on the boom and mast, which is the led aft (optionally thru a 4:1) to the winches on deck. For an example of this Dutchman rigging, see DOUBLE LINE INSTALLATION

I prefer this approach as it eliminates yet another line that is a trip point when leaving the safety of the cockpit, plus I can use my generally available deck winches (everything on jams) whereas my sheet winches would be busy with the genoa/staysail. Note that the Dutchman isn't sized large enough for our offshore plans given our sail area (they max out at 68 m2, which puts me at the high end with 67 m2, and given offshore usage I want to oversize).

Any reason why this approach of tensioning the brake with a second control line would not work with the Walder?

Also - anybody know of a PDF with the Walder documentation? I can only find online short discussions and pics and not a detailed installation and usage document.

Chris
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 12:33   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Rigging a Walder boom brake with separate control and brake lines?

We had that set-up with the Walder Boom Brake on our last boat... I believe it is shown on their site and a recommended install option too. We had a fixed line from port to starboard rails, and a block on the boom that pulled the Walder closer to the boom, tensioning the fixed line in the process (like shown in your link). I'll see if I can find the pdf instructions on an older harddrive.

Matt
Old 28-08-2018, 13:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We had that set-up with the Walder Boom Brake on our last boat... I believe it is shown on their site and a recommended install option too. We had a fixed line from port to starboard rails, and a block on the boom that pulled the Walder closer to the boom, tensioning the fixed line in the process (like shown in your link). I'll see if I can find the pdf instructions on an older harddrive.

Matt
Thanks, Matt - that's great to hear. I was unable to find any reference to the two line setup on their web site (this page Implantation - Walderweb only refers to the single line configuration). If by chance you do find that PDF, I would be forever in your debt... or at least buy you a beer if we should cross paths!
Old 29-08-2018, 04:17   #4

You could try contacting Dutchmar and see if they can upsize their boom brake to give you your safety factor.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 04:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
You could try contacting Dutchmar and see if they can upsize their boom brake to give you your safety factor.
Worth a try! Thanks for the suggestion. Just sent them a request, and I'll update when/if I hear back from them.
Old 29-08-2018, 04:35   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 47

There should be no reason why you can’t do the exact same thing with the boom brake as long as the angle stays about right which shouldn’t be hard since it doesn’t really require much movement to lock it. I have to pull mine down quite hard though to get it to brake so you would need a good winch for that line.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 04:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
There should be no reason why you can’t do the exact same thing with the boom brake as long as the angle stays about right which shouldn’t be hard since it doesn’t really require much movement to lock it. I have to pull mine down quite hard though to get it to brake so you would need a good winch for that line.
Did you add any purchase, like a 4:1? Or straight onto the winch (sheet winch?) and in which case, how hard did you have to pull it? Did you use low speed and pull hard like you were pulling your sheets tight on a good blow (how's that for a technical measurement of force?? )

I have Harken 44's on the deck (all powered) which can produce enough power to pull a person to the top of the mast at high speed. My jib winches are much stronger (Harken 66's) but I'm not planning on using them for this application.
Old 29-08-2018, 05:16   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity View Post
Did you add any purchase, like a 4:1? Or straight onto the winch (sheet winch?) and in which case, how hard did you have to pull it? Did you use low speed and pull hard like you were pulling your sheets tight on a good blow (how's that for a technical measurement of force?? )

I have Harken 44's on the deck (all powered) which can produce enough power to pull a person to the top of the mast at high speed. My jib winches are much stronger (Harken 66's) but I'm not planning on using them for this application.
Unfortunately, no luck with the PDF instruction.

We brought ours back to the cabin top and to a winch when needed to 'lock' the boom in position. To just slowly brake the boom on a gibe, hard hand tension would work if you have enough turns around the drum.

Matt
Old 29-08-2018, 07:18   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity View Post

I just have mine led back to the same winch I use to for the main halyard (Lewmar 50) but I have a big heavy leisurefurl boom. I find to get it to be pretty tight I have to use the low gear on the two speed winch to tighten it. But that actually acts as a preventer in light airs and not just a slowing device.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 11:09   #10

In case others are interested in the future, I did contact Dutchmar for their boom brake, and they don't offer it any larger. They felt it would work for my application, but I'm not comfortable being at the high end of the load limits.

I also contacted Walder, and they confirmed that the 403 H is well oversized but would work, and also suggested that the two line approach will work. The warning was that the extra gap from the boom to the brake (for the control line attachment and block) will add to the boom being able to move around more. Seems work trying, as I can always switch if unhappy.

They also provided a scan of their documentation for me, which I have attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf utilisation anglais.pdf (414.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: pdf installation anglais.pdf (461.4 KB, 102 views)

Tags
boom brake, rigging