Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 13:04   #1

Cost to mast with in mast furling mainsail to J105?

Does anyone have any rough idea of what it would cost to add a furling main sail (possibly carbon) to a J105?
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 13:11   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Cost to mast with in mast furling mainsail to J105?

Not sure, but make sure you compare also with an in-boom furling main -- so much better and probably cheaper too than replacing the mast.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 13:23   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

That's a pretty small boat to need a main furler. We struggled a bit with the main on our J37. The solution was installing a Strongtrack from Tides Marine. That and a stack pack made for pretty reasonable main handling at price a lot less than a furler and without the performance hit.
Old 21-08-2018, 14:05   #4

The J/105 is a hot, light racer - it doesn't even have standing headroom. A furling main would absolutely kill the performance. You are proposing a very expensive modification that would leave you with a race boat that you can't race, and a cruising rig on a boat that you won't want to cruise.
SparkyDorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 14:14   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyDorado View Post
The J/105 is a hot, light racer - it doesn't even have standing headroom. A furling main would absolutely kill the performance. You are proposing a very expensive modification that would leave you with a race boat that you can't race, and a cruising rig on a boat that you won't want to cruise.
Quite correct.

In addition, this forum is full of comments and questions by people who seemingly constantly can't or have problems with dysfunctional mast furlers not working, getting stuck, jamming, etc... so the cost to performance is exacerbated by the frustration when it doesn't work.

When someone tells you theirs works fine, add the words "so far" to their comment.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 14:47   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Quite correct.

In addition, this forum is full of comments and questions by people who seemingly constantly can't or have problems with dysfunctional mast furlers not working, getting stuck, jamming, etc... so the cost to performance is exacerbated by the frustration when it doesn't work.

When someone tells you theirs works fine, add the words "so far" to their comment.

Nonsense -- good in-mast furling is as bulletproof as any other type of mainsail. 9 years and 25,000 miles on mine. It has a raft of advantages, some of which I was recently really loving sailing long distances at high latitudes, getting back from Greenland. In the Arctic Ocean where you will die practically as soon as you hit the water, if you fall over, and where you can't always turn upwind to reef.

HOWEVER, I agree with the other comments that a J105 is the last boat in the world that you would want in-mast furling on. Upgrade the track and reefing system and forget about it. Spend your money on a really good laminate mainsail with a ton of roach. In-mast furling is for tough ocean sailing where there is never too little wind, not for the kind of sailing you would do with a boat like a J.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 19:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
That's a pretty small boat to need a main furler. We struggled a bit with the main on our J37. The solution was installing a Strongtrack from Tides Marine. That and a stack pack made for pretty reasonable main handling at price a lot less than a furler and without the performance hit.
Interesting. It says that it drops immediately. How do you make the sail fold properly on each side of it drops that quickly or do you just meter it down with the lead?
Old 21-08-2018, 19:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
Interesting. It says that it drops immediately. How do you make the sail fold properly on each side of it drops that quickly or do you just meter it down with the lead?
I don't know how anybody else does it, but I skippered a lot of day charters on J105s. I did a rolled in a "sea furl" when I dropped the sail coming into the marina, and then, flaked the sail neatly on the boom back at the slip. On a boat with a full, experienced race crew, the sail can easily be flaked as it comes down with one person at the halyard, on at the mast and one at the clew.

If you have a J105 and you think you want in-mast roller furling, what you REALLY want is a different boat.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 20:51   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
Lazy jacks or a stack pack and bit of sail training. Strenghten it out the rest of the way when its down.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 00:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If you have a J105 and you think you want in-mast roller furling, what you REALLY want is a different boat.
Do you know what I'm looking for in a boat?
Old 22-08-2018, 01:22   #11

To add a furling main to a J105 would mean a new mast and mainsail, plus some handling gear to furl/unfurl. That boat was just not designed to have this feature so you would first have to get someone to do a mast design first.

I had a Beneteau 40.7 with a race rig and fancy North mainsail. I changed the luff from rope to hanks, added lazy jacks and a boom bag and off I went cruising.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 02:13   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Putting a carbon sail in an in-mast furler would be like putting drag slicks on a Zamboni.

In mast furling will destroy the value of the boat. If the goal is to make putting the main up and down easier put a stack pack on it and call it a day.
Old 22-08-2018, 03:48   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Putting a carbon sail in an in-mast furler would be like putting drag slicks on a Zamboni.

In mast furling will destroy the value of the boat. If the goal is to make putting the main up and down easier put a stack pack on it and call it a day.
Nonsense. I have a carbon laminate sail in mine, and this is a great combination with in-mast furling. Vertical battens and straight luff make it work far better than the usual hollow leech. As to Zambonis - I just logged 10 miles run in an hour just 45 minutes ago, and the next one should be the same, and I regularly do 200 mile days.

However, I totally agree with you that inmast furling on a J105 is completely inappropriate and would destroy the value. That boat wants a roachy full batten sail.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 05:19   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Nonsense. I have a carbon laminate sail in mine, and this is a great combination with in-mast furling. Vertical battens and straight luff make it work far better than the usual hollow leech. As to Zambonis - I just logged 10 miles run in an hour just 45 minutes ago, and the next one should be the same, and I regularly do 200 mile days.

However, I totally agree with you that inmast furling on a J105 is completely inappropriate and would destroy the value. That boat wants a roachy full batten sail.

You’re an entirely different case Dock. Big boat, singlehanding. The combination works for you and you accept the compromise it requires.

The main on a 105 is already entirely manageable. It’s tiny. Why gimp performance for marginal convenience?

A carbon sail on a standard stick is going to perform way better than an in-mast furling one. If you argue with that you’re on drugs.

If he gets into racing he’s going to need Dacron though I think. Class rules.
Old 22-08-2018, 07:29   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you must have a furling Main get a furling boom, they aren’t as big a performance hit.
See I am no real sailor, and even I know your boat is built for pure performance, any furling main sacrifices performance for ease of use.
If that is what your after, you really would probably be better suited in a different boat and sell your Boat to someone who will gladly put 100 hours into block sanding the bottom for an additional .01 kt.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mainsail, mast, sail