Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 03:08   #1

Catamaran winter haul-out, repairs & live aboard in Spain/Portugal

Hello forumers,

We would like to draw on your wealth of experience to ask some advice on overwintering options in Spain/ Portugal from Sept/Oct this year.

We are a Privilege435
The boat dimensions are:
Width: 7m
Length: 13m
Draft: 1.6m
Mast Height: 17m

Currently in the Islas Baleares we are looking for a boat yard where we can live on board for several months from September, do our own work (gel coat repairs, below the waterline anti fouling, stepping the mast, standing rigging) and not break the bank…

We have done some research and contacted a few places; Bruces, Denia, Portimao, Gelves, Almerimar looked a good option however they need to hire a neighbouring boatyards crane costing 2600 euros...

Has anybody hauled a catamaran of a similar size in Spain/Portugal and could recommend anything?

Thanks in advance
Chicchis435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 00:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: Catamaran winter haul-out, repairs & live aboard in Spain/Portugal

Try Cartagena. Hauled 6.9m beam cat this year with room to spare. Will let you live aboard and do your own work. But don’t use their paint and price per day is somewhat high but may be negotiated. Haul out fee ok. Plus Cartagena is fabulous city to winter in.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 01:47   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Similar situation. I'm heading to Cartagena myself.

There is Ascar next to the marina, but it's not a place to be out for months and do your own work.

There is a yard up by Cala Cortina, but I've never heard from anyone who has been lifted out there.

Bruce's in Portugal is widely regarded as one of the best, but is pretty far away, and you have to go past Algeciras which I'm told has a good yard and is tax free.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 02:01   #4

Rosa Cabral & Soares in Portimao, they have many big cats in the yard every year. DIY & live onboard no problem and only 5min walk to the city. You will need to speak Portuguese on the phone, they don’t do email.
crocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 09:13   #5

Hello folks,

Thanks for the information. I emailed Yacht Port Cartagena a while back and they said "Not being a boatyard there are certain works that cannot be done in our dry area, such as high pressure cleaning, antifouling or painting..." so i'd struck it off my list. However if there are alternative boatyards in the area that could be an option. Ostinato, where did you haul-out?

Thanks mikedefieslife, I think we're too big for Bruces but i'll check out Algeciras now.

Crocks, Portimao looks a good shout too, thank you.

Matt
Old 18-08-2018, 09:55   #6

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

Varadero Sant Carles de la Rapita. Only 100 miles from Baleares. My cat is 7,6m,they handle with travellift. He's got a slip for wider cats. 2,5hours/24euros by bus to el Prat(Barcelona ). Local manpower for 20-35 euros/hour
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 10:06   #7

Hello Yargesol,

Thank you, Sant Charles de la Rapita looks great.
Do you know if we can do our own repairs and live aboard at the same time?

Matt
Old 18-08-2018, 10:30   #8

Matt,you could do all repairs by yourself.Contractors allowed,beside paint job-this the yard makes themselves. Alfacs(the bay) is very well protected and is navigable in winter. My boat dock is in front of varador office. Good inexpensive food arround.
Vladimir
Old 18-08-2018, 10:39   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450f

We have wintered in Portimao, they have a great rate for Cats and the yard on the other side of the river will easily manage your boat. There were people aboard their boats, living, when we were lifted a few months ago. Nice spot and a little life in Ferragudo and Portima all year round.
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 23:32   #10

Boat: FP Helia Evo 44

Have a look at Marina Roda de Bara just south of Barcelona.
Sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 04:21   #11

Hi we are currently in Bruce’s yard at faro, he has just widened the slip to take bigger cats, we are living on our boat as we work on her so that is not a problem, it’s also about the cheapest place that we could find. Joanne in the office speaks good English so give her a ring and they will tell you either way.
Regards Rachel
rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 01:50   #12

Hi Rach,
That is great info thank you. We liked Bruce's alot but thought we wouldn't fit but if they've widened their slip thats great. I'll call and enquire thankyou.

YARGESOL, do you have any knowledge of the marina itself in Sant Carles where we could keep the boat back in the water from Jan-April?

Thanks again everyone for your advice
Old 26-08-2018, 10:37   #13

There are:Club Nautic Sant Carles-I stay here. Not sure,if they have space for a cat and, Sant Carles Marina-they provide docks with fingers. Marina also have little dry dock. But,not for big cats. Fishing port in between the Club and Marina. Large yard- Varadero,managed by Joan Samo is just near customs post- Aduanas/Guardia Civil. Ther is carpenter shop and,electrician/plumber near by. Sant Carles de la Rapita is mostly fishing and vacational town. End July they have fiesta with torros(you may enjoy and run) at the sport camp. Begining September-another fiesta with torros on streets(like in Pamplona/without corrida). Nice promenad and seafood. Mostly local,lot of French,not many English speacking(beside service). Large beeches with a graycat sand. Shellow. Ideal for kiting. Water is obscured due to the river flow-Delta Ebre. Flamingo etc. Half hour drive to the mountain,there is wine zone Terra Alta.
Convinient,quite place
Old 27-08-2018, 09:17   #14

Chicchis435,I m not finalized my plans yet. But,if I'll go to Canary isles for this winter,we could make a deal with my dock. This is 15x9 meter dock in Club Nautico ,50m to the shower,10 meters to varadero(boat yard),and workshops,100m to Guardia Civil post(so,it's safe). 200m to restaurantes.Local anchorage near the Ebre sandy bar is 10 m sailing(well...motoring). Ibiza is 97 miles(just came back from Beniras-overnight sailing 15-16 hours). It's consessionally owned and,inexpensive,comparing to over ports at the region. Mussels,oysters grows locally,at the bay Alfacs.They serves fresh cut in Chiringitos-taverna on the piles.with mooring for dinghies. If you are intersted,I'll count and pm all costs involved. It won t be a busyness,just compensation of my costs. If you need Varadero contact,may grab jefe Samo phone tomorrow
Old 31-08-2018, 04:44   #15

YARGESOL, thanks again for all you info, I've PM'ed you.

Rach and others who may be interested, as of Aug18 Bruce's yard still cant accommodate a cat of our size:

Width: 7m
Length: 13m
Draft: 1.6m
Mast Height: 17m

"We can't lift your boat. The maximum beam for our crane is 5.00mt, The trailer is not finished yet. Best regards, Joana"

El Rodeo islaverde in Algeciras prices for a 44ft Cat haul out:

DRYDOCK AND REALISE VESSEL. PRICE PER MOVEMENT 185 €/MOV. TOT 370,00
PRICE PER DAY WHILST IN SHIPYARD 29 €/DAY 29,00
ECO TAX. PRICE PER DAY 3 €/DAY 3,00
WATER AND ELECTRICITY SERVICES. PRICE PER DAY 7 €/DAY
CLEAN HULL WITH FRESH PRESSURE WATER 50 €/HOUR

Matt

Tags
catamaran, Portugal, repairs, Spain