Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 01:28   #1

Boat: Northshore 33
Flying into Bahamas leaving by boat

Hi,

We (Australians) are travelling to the Bahamas & jumping on our friends boat to help deliver her to Australia. We don't want to purchase a return/exit flight, we have a letter from the owner of the boat of our intentions will this be enough?
We have had a massive headache with US visa's (long story) so we don't want to get this wrong.

TIA
Scubafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:22   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Flying into Bahamas leaving by boat

No problem with this in the Bahamas. They're used to folks flying in and joining a boat.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:33   #3
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Having the letter should be enough, though Ive never had crew been asked for it.

Do be prepared with a 'marina' name near where you are anchored - - - I got a panicked call from my daughter (who is a savvy Intl traveler) at Bahamas customs because the agent needed to fill in the 'hotel you are staying at' blank.. For some reason anchored in marsh harbor was not a sufficient answer that day. Strange...
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:57   #4

Boat: Dean 365

It depends on the airline. The Bahamas Customs folk are used to it. It is getting onto the plane that stops you because the folks on this end are not as used to it.

If you can get the owner to send you a copy of his cruising permit it often helps. He can take a picture and text or email it to you, but you should print it out so it looks more official.

If this doesn't work, buy a full price refundable return ticket to Ft. Lauderdale for a few months out so you have time to turn it an and claim the refund.
Meandercp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:38   #5

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubafee View Post
Hi,

We (Australians) are travelling to the Bahamas & jumping on our friends boat to help deliver her to Australia. We don't want to purchase a return/exit flight, we have a letter from the owner of the boat of our intentions will this be enough?
We have had a massive headache with US visa's (long story) so we don't want to get this wrong.

TIA
No worries - did it last year. The Bahamians are lot more accommodating than the Americans.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:03   #6

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Hi,

TIA
You (I’ll say must) must have a copy of the owners cruising permit and the document is a good idea as well. Know precisely where she is moored and have the owners contact information.

I just buy a fully refundable ticket and refund it once there.

Just did this a few weeks ago.

Yes, I have been stuck in Miami and ended up buying a return ticket years ago just to get over there :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:48   #7

Boat: Tartan 3000

Call the airline and get it approved before the original departing flight from Australia and any connections.

I see this problem all the time with international one way tickets. I carry onward tickets which are either:

1. A completely fake doctored up old ticket confirmation

2. Actual refundable tickets

Be prepared to purchase a refundable onward ticket while you are checking in if necessary.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:56   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
TIA
Wont be enough. The problem will be the airline. The airline has the responsibility to return any passengers rejected by the recipient country. So the airline that flies you in needs to see a return ticket if things go wrong.

Just picture turning up at Sydney airport, on a busy Saturday morning with a one way ticket to Fiji and a letter from some no name. The checkin staff at the counter just wont process you. And obviously there's no one from Fiji Immigration on hand at Sydney airport to talk to. It's all just too hard, easier to not give the boarding pass. Next please.

You always need a refundable return ticket.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:00   #9
Marine Service Provider

Shouldn't be a problem with the airline (not on Delta anyway) or customs (US or Bahamas) but carrying an official looking Crew Letter (with a current date) is always a good idea whether paid crew or not.

On a delivery gig my skipper wanted to leave Bimini at zero dark 30 before we could clear out. So when I got home I scanned and printed all my US and Bahamian documents (including my USCG master's ticket) and mailed them to the Bahamian Government agency in charge of such things (with a polite letter of explanation) just in case I came back one day and their system showed that I had never left.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 14:07   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Not that it matters... but when are you supposed to meet up for this delivery?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Not that it matters... but when are you supposed to meet up for this delivery?

The boat is leaving Florida Fort Pierce around 14/15th June. We will meet them sometime after 19th June.

We can not transit thru US due to visa delay, we will fly to Santiago onto Panama then Bahamas.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:45   #12

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Shouldn't be a problem with the airline (not on Delta anyway) or customs (US or Bahamas) but carrying an official looking Crew Letter (with a current date) is always a good idea whether paid crew or not.

On a delivery gig my skipper wanted to leave Bimini at zero dark 30 before we could clear out. So when I got home I scanned and printed all my US and Bahamian documents (including my USCG master's ticket) and mailed them to the Bahamian Government agency in charge of such things (with a polite letter of explanation) just in case I came back one day and their system showed that I had never left.
I've been in and out of the Bahamas more times than I can count.

Save the four times (originating in and returning from Marsh Harbour) I flew back to the states (which may have had such a clear-out as part of the airline process), I've never said boo to anyone.

When my son flew in to crew back with me, when my wife had to go back earlier than our weather window allowed, he didn't clear out, either.

And, to the OP's issue, he had a copy of my cruising permit, and the "hotel" was Flying Pig, Marsh Harbour; he had no issues about getting a one way inbound ticket, nor any issues from customs and immigration.

Amusingly, I was given a lot of electronic hassle (could not pre-check either on computer or at the airport kiosk, on my return from my last out/in; they wanted to see a return ticket, which my ticket into MHH WAS, already
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 10:11   #13

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. We arrived safely @ Nassau with only a few question asked before boarding in Melbourne & Santiago, Chile. We armed ourselves with all documentation from skipper & owner. We did not have a copy of the cruising permit as they had only checked into West End the day before.
We were questioned once arrived in Nassau all they wanted was the boat name & contact details for owner, that was it. So no exit flight required [emoji847]

Tags
Bahamas, boat