Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 10:09   #16

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
Re: Morgan 462

Hey Sable,

What Yanmar model are you putting in? I looked at the Cummins 3.3G and some others but haven't jumped yet. My 4-154 Perkins has about 5k and still runs along.

Bill
S/V SageofSalem
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 11:01   #17

Boat: Morgan 462

I’m getting a Yanmar 4JH4_HTE (110 hp) and an Onan 7.5 QD genset. The boat had a Perking 4-236, so the prior owners repowered. (I do not believe this was an option in 1980) The Perkins was seized; TAD Diesel would have sold me a rebuild but my concern was for parts. It’s one thing to be in the states, but another to be in the island and be in need of parts. I waited two months for a Westerbeke part one summer (and Westerbeke is literally in my back yard.) Since “the islands” are a long term goal, I wanted to be certain that, by the time I get there, I can still get the basic parts at any marina world-wide. If the Perkins was operational I would have waited… $$$. Also, as I just finished stripping the engine room and am almost ready to repaint, I wanted a new heart for the old girl…

Curious, how do you attach to a mooring? Do you run the mooring line (s) through the pulpit roller or do you run it to the side cleats? I have not had this boat in the water yet and it will go on my mooring after the engine is in and aligned this summer. My mooring bridle has a Y configuration and I used to attach is to the port and starboard cleats of my O’Day 39. The line chocks on the 462 appear as if thought they should be more forward, then they are. My fear is that if I attach the line as mentioned, there will be more tension on the line chocks and the teak toe rail then on the cleat itself. Do you have this issue?
SV-Sable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 16:58   #18

Boat: 1981 Morgan 462

Hello All
I just finished purchasing a 1981 Morgan 462 Ketch. She sit's in Guaymas
exico and I'm looking forward to sailing her around the Sea of Cortez this coming November. If anyone has any important mods I should make right away please PM me. Thanks everyone
koolekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 17:18   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Yes! Put me on the boat! Just kidding, she sounds wonderful. Congratulations!!! We have a "new" '89 41ft classic. Love the Morgans! Great boats, lots of room and built like a tank.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:23   #20

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Good thread...

461s, all sloop, deep draft, of which there were 47 built, were for Moorings. Unique features vs 462 which didn't have these options were a closed tube/structure vs open shaft and a boom crutch. Despite their being designed for charter use, we have yet to see a 45'OD boat with more storage. Yet, in full rig and close friends, you could sleep 11 pretty comfortably.

Despite their being an expensive option, most took the ketch rig on 462s. Only a few opted for the deep (6-0 vs 5-3) version, and most made the forward tank fuel with the saddles the water. In the 461s it was forward and starboard, and perhaps (haven't nailed this part down) a spare tank in the settee forward of the sink, making for 330G of water designed (actual volumes usually worked out a little less).

They are bulletproof. Click my gallery link to see what I mean from my wreck pix - 3 days in 8-10' surf on a normally MLW dry limestone plateau resulted in only some delamination. Pix show her restoration.

As to blisters in the other threads of late, disregard the Pascoe junk. I know that particular boat - it's Cyrano in my "other" gallery - and it's amazing. The owners have recently sold her to do the trawler thing in order to run up the Mississippi in the summer for the grandkids, and continue to cruise the Caribbean during the winter - it sold at top dollar in less than a month.

See my current refit pix for your worst nightmares re blisters - it's only a lot of work, not a structural issue. Mine is hull #2; I'm convinced the crew was on crack that day - but I also believe we've killed the water-soluble-materials dragon which creates blisters. More info on how we managed that if you like.

I would not trade this design for any I've seen. I went aboard more than 200 boats looking for our particular criteria - stand in any normal standing place, lie down extended where I'll sleep, have a rectangular queen space at minimum for sleeping (no Pullmans or Vees), blue-water capable (many circumnavigators in this marque), and good storage - before settling on this design.

Sloop or ketch rig is your preference - the boat sails magnificently either way, and the hull is particularly sea-kindly. Don't stand on the throttle, and you can do figure-8s in reverse. I backed a quarter mile in a narrow channel because there wasn't room to turn around, once. Many have been rigged with a staysail - we had one when we bought her, and have since significantly upgraded the sail and the hardware, including running backs, in our current refit. The mast is far enough aft to fit the usual "cutter" profile, but you'll have to be sure you do the proper reinforcing for your base, if you do that.

I'm happy to respond to any questions about M46x; you'll find my gallery very useful if you're considering one, or want to know how to do something. There's not too many places either my hands or my camera haven't been aboard!

You can take this offline by PM-ing me, if you like...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 15:23   #21

I have owned a 462 for the past eight years and have sailed her extensively in the West Indies. My boat, Adelia Jo, is not the fastest vessel on the planet but she will always get you there and quite comfortably as well. My boat is a 1981 and as of last October when she was launched after hurricane season has no blisters that I am aware of. The engine is sound and there is no leakage. Sadly, due to health reasons I have put her up for sale and she is listed on this site under clasified. Anybody wants to talk about her, you can reach me by PM. She is big and roomy and a great live aboard. I have had nothing but great times with her and it pains me to sell her but such is life I guess. She is currenly lying in Tortola, British Virgin Islands.

Buddy
adeliajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 05:19   #22

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

bump...

Bill Martin, of Sage of Salem, is selling his boat.

He will probably get notification of this thread, and come back, but here's what he sent me today:

"I Own "SageofSalem" one of the last 462s made (I Believe) And I have to sell because of Cancer. If you know someone looking for a Cape Horn Veteran with all new SS standing and running rigging, a new Guatemalan teak sole (twenty year old trees harvested legally-with proof) brand new state of the art 12 volt refrig and freezer-new boxes each has it's own unit with individual controls. Original perkins w/ 5000 hrs, 7.3 Westerbeke w/2000 hrs.. Big Solar panel on davit plus new wingen. etc., etc. anyone interested can contact me by typing the name of my vessel plus sbcglobal.net It's sitting in Rio Dulce being well cared for by friends but it looks like my sailing days may soon be over? Price will be realistic and commensurate with the market I may just give it to my least lovable son (although that would probably really screw up his life, lol) Thanx. Bill Martin "

This happened to be the first M46x I ever stepped aboard; we hadn't yet expanded our budget and size parameters, so ignored it, but our broker was spot-on when he said that it was the boat we wanted, based on what we'd told him.

See earlier comments of mine on the type.

L8R

Skip and Lydia
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan