Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 09:48   #1

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Steel Motorsailer Seeking Binnacle Compass That Would Work

I have a very nice Richie Globemaster (with the amusingly named compensator balls) in my steel sided pilothouse. It's quite accurate to about two degrees in every direction as per a fluxgate and land bearings. Hand steering is rarely better than five degrees, of course.

I'm thinking of having a smaller binnacle compass on my "outside" sailing helm, either atop my mild steel helm box or mounted higher up on the SS cross-bar of my solar arch supports. Any recommendations of something I can adjust myself to better than five degrees of deviation (this is aft of the engine, by the way) would be appreciated. A second Globemaster is not out of the question, but would be a touch large for the space available. If there's no good answer, I can "steer by tablet".

I actually have a Suunto watch with a wee fluxgate in it, but I have to hold it near eye-level to escape the effect of the steel deck. As viewed from the end of my nose, it's accurate enough, but that's not really "at a glance" use, and I realize I might need a fluxgate display if I want anything. Still, the Globemaster works below, but that's not from where I keep watch.

Thanks.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 18:05   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Steel Motorsailer Seeking Binnacle Compass That Would Work

What about setting up a webcam focused on the existing compass, feeding to a screen (wired, Bluetooth, whatever) wherever you want to mount it?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 20:27   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Mirrors.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:10   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

OK, so "no"?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, motor, motorsailer, sail, steel