Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 12:34   #1

Sizing Rigging for 37' Hunter Cherubini

Hey all,

Would like a second opinion.

Currently there is 9/32 on my backstay and forestay and 1/4" on everything else for my Hunter Cherubini 37. 1/2" pins.

Going by what riggers I've talked to it seems this is way undersized and I should be looking at going at least 5/16 for everything.

Does this sound right? Boat is 17lbs, cutter rig with real running backstays (wire to blocks currently - I'll probably go with a cheaper, maybe 1/4" synthetic here b/c I feel the blocks would fail before the 1/4" line and these are not under any real load).
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 13:22   #2

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Re: Sizing Rigging for 37' Hunter Cherubini

Why do they think it’s undersize? Are the wires failing? Do similar boats suffer rigging failure often? How are you using it?
I have 5/16” wire rigging. Upgrading the wire isn’t that big of a deal but changing the pin size to 5/8” will get expensive fast. What all are they proposing to increase?
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 13:32   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

You can gain wire strength without changing dimension by going to compact strand (Dyform) wire constuction... and get less stretch in the bargain.

Jim
Old 25-10-2018, 14:42   #4

> Why do they think it’s undersize? Are the wires failing? Do similar boats suffer rigging failure often? How are you using it?
I have 5/16” wire rigging. Upgrading the wire isn’t that big of a deal but changing the pin size to 5/8” will get expensive fast.

They basically told me that similar sized boats would have min 9/32nd wire, should be 5/16" or so.

Boat will be used for blue water, hopefully...! Rigging is who-knows how old. No failing wires.

You can get 5/16th hardware for 1/2" pins, so that isn't a problem. I do want new turnbuckles for the effort. It is an extra $800 or so but...

> What all are they proposing to increase?

I'll be doing this myself, so they're giving me free advice. Not trying to get a job or anything.

> You can gain wire strength without changing dimension by going to compact strand (Dyform) wire constuction... and get less stretch in the bargain.

I'll check this out. I'll have to see if this would work with mechanical fittings?
Old 25-10-2018, 15:50   #5

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Makes sense to me. 5/16” would offer some peace of mind for certain.
I made up new rigging a few years ago using Hi-Mods and found them pretty straightforward. I’m not sure they are suitable for Dyform wire though.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 15:51   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I'll check this out. I'll have to see if this would work with mechanical fittings?
Yes, all the mechanical terminals that I am familiar with will work with compact strand wire. I have personally used Sta loc, Norseman and Sea Rig terminals, and believe all the others will be ok as well.

Jim
Old 26-10-2018, 10:12   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

My only not wood, was a 37 foot Cherbuni, which i equiped for cruising, as a rigger, i replaced all the rigging with 5/16 wire, new every thing from the chain plates up.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 10:22   #8

Sounds good. It'll definitely get new chainplates.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:25   #9

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Hey, go to the Cherubini owners group at "sailboatowners.com". Everything you need to know about your boat. I meet a couple from Mobile,Al who were in transit from Maryland and stoped in Pensacola for a few days that had purchased a C37. They were very happy with their boat which by then they had been aboard for 2 months.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Had 9/32" on our Westail 32. It has gone to SoPac three times with that size wire without an issue. Westsail advertised the 9/32" wire as an upgrade from what was necessary. Even though the boat was advertized as 32' it's really an over 40' boat with displacement to match. My current Peason 35 has 9'32" cap shrouds and stays with 1/4" lowerr shrouds. Don't know if the cap shrouds and stays were originally 1/4" and had been changed to 9/32" by the PO. In any case 9/32" would be fine with me for a 37' boat. The wire is almost never an issue in a rigging failure it's the terminals that fail.

High density wire is stronger for a given diameter than regular 1 x 19 because it has more material and weight. There is no such thing as a free lunch when it comes to wire strength. Higher strength means more weight and the higher above deck the weight the greater its negative effect.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, hunter cherubini, rigging