Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2017, 15:42   #1

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 VHF

Good Evening Folks

Just a quick note to report on my most recent purchase. I just purchased and installed the Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 series VHF radio with built in AIS/GPS as well as the CMP31 Ram3+

The basic installation was obviously very straight forward, so I really won't say much about that - wired it up, fired it up, worked! AIS acquisition works flawlessly and the target display is actually not bad at all, even on the RAM3+ I put up at the helm. The real trick was getting it to work with my old Raymarine C-120 Classic.

I called Standard Horizon's tech support, they took my name and number and called me back within about 2hrs, at which time someone else had shown up at the boat; of course! I asked Standard Horizon to call me back in 30 minutes. Guess what they did? Yep, they called me back in 30 minutes! I was obviously impressed! Anyway, they walked me through confirming the baud rate settings and the wiring (NMEA in/out) not only on the radio side, but on the Raymarine side.

Turns out the wiring of the Raymarine NMEA in had been reversed. I cut off the old splice, re-spliced as they indicated and woohoo! AIS on my chart plotter!

Anyway, everything is working beautifully and wanted to share a good experience for a change.

If anyone has specific questions about any of the 3 units GX2200/CMP31/C-120 let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

best,
Old 12-07-2017, 18:07   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 VHF

My experience with SH gear has been excellent, I wish all corporations had their level of customer service. I have 2 of the earlier GX-2150 vhf radios and 3 displays with absolutely no problems in 4 to 5 years. Good luck with your gear.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 18:33   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Nice to hear positive reviews of customer service. Thanks!

I have the same radio with the RAM 3 cockpit mic. Has worked great from day one. I haven't wired the AIS data to my chartplotter, but know I can. You may inspire me to do so.
Old 03-02-2019, 15:39   #4

I know this thread is old but SVRocinante, what type of wire did you use between the GX2200 and the c120? I am getting ready to install my GX2200 and decided as long as I am running the RAM3+ to the console I may as well connect the c120 to AIS.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 20:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
I know this thread is old but SVRocinante, what type of wire did you use between the GX2200 and the c120? I am getting ready to install my GX2200 and decided as long as I am running the RAM3+ to the console I may as well connect the c120 to AIS.
Cat5/6 Ethernet would work, or Ancor makes signal wire. You just need two wires for each direction of the NMEA0183 connection, and they do not have to be big at all.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:55   #6

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

I used NMEA network cable to extend the NMEA cable that came with the C-120 (R08004)

regards,

Tags
vhf