Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 19:23   #1

Boat: Morgan OI 41 CCS
From NYC, NY to Houston Texas

Hello everyone! My name is Alex and on or about December 7 coming up
I will leave NYC onboard of a Morgan 42 I just purchased towards Miami and possibly Houston! I still have not made my mind where will be the final destination. Considering that I might come to Houston, What would be the best way at this time of the year? Faster and with more Urban conveniences around would be ideal since I am going with wife and pets... But since it might just be a wishing loud situation! What is the closest reality to that?
Any input or shared experience and or just an opinion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for the time.
AAFMIAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 20:25   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: From NYC, NY to Houston Texas

Faster on the outside, but it's not very urban out there.

Sounds like you would prefer to be at a dock each night. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe a slow roll down the ICW is best.

That's a long way to Texas, so I'd ask for advice on the first few hundred miles at this point. Plenty of time to learn about the rest. Check out the Active Captain website.

What's your sailing experience so far?
Old 21-11-2015, 23:30   #3

I agree! New boat, not best situation for a first time trip on a new (unknown) vessel!
makes more sense to be safe than sorry! Even for me. lol
I am familiar and comfortable with ICW as well as open waters, meaning, maybe combining them both would be the best way! I would love to be in Miami before Christmas!
Old 22-11-2015, 00:13   #4

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

A long shakedown cruise in the winter could be a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't want to put my lady through it.

Have you both experienced this type of trip?
Old 22-11-2015, 01:43   #5

Boat: Ericson 34

[QUOTE=AAFMIAMI;1968136] Hello everyone! My name is Alex and on or about December 7 coming up. I will leave NYC onboard of a Morgan 42 I just purchased towards Miami and possibly Houston! I still have not made my mind where will be the final destination. Considering that I might come to Houston, What would be the best way at this time of the year? Faster and with more Urban conveniences around would be ideal since I am going with wife and pets... But since it might just be a wishing loud situation! What is the closest reality to that? Any input or shared experience and or just an opinion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for the time.

July 2014, I bought a 1987 Ericson 34 & sailed/motored it out of the Great Lakes to NY/NY with my son. I then sailed/motored it to Beaufort/NC via the ICW. December 5, I took it offshore to Sint Maarten alone: Why don't you consider spending the winter in the West Indies ? Once there, Miami & Houston is downwind In Beaufort/NC, you put your lady on a plane, & get a friend or two for the passage to the West Indies All you need is a couple of fair weather days to cross the Gulf Steam, thereafter you're offshore & bad weather is more manageable !
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...ufort+NC+28516
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 02:54   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alex.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 03:19   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 36

ICW your way down the coast when stuff breaks or things screw up you are in a relatively safe area compared to offshore. If you really want to get offshore at least wait til Cape Fear, trying to fight the gulfstream in the winter is not pleasant. Plus you miss alot of good places to eat along the ICW when you go offshore in the winter.
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 03:59   #8

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

The toughest decision will be to go the Chesapeake to Norfolk or outside to there.

The Dec 7th departure makes short travelling (stopping every night) tough due to short weather windows.

The last three years I have left The Cape May area of NJ for Florida on my 40 foot trawler at 6.3 knots. I have gone the Chesapeake route for visiting reasons plus short stopping and weather windows. Doing 40 to 60 miles a day (short daylight days) it takes a week to get to Norfolk.

If I had a good sailboat (and I have many years sailing), I would go to Cape May on one overnight and from there to Norfolk on a second overnight. You can travel the Jersey and Delmarva coasts in even some gale conditions this time of year because the higher winds are predominantly Northwesterlies and within 3 miles of the beach most of the way is less than 1 to 2 footers and you can scream with minimal sail on a reach/broad reach.

If by pets you mean dogs that need to be walked....man I have the same problem (not my dog). It depends on them. Some people gave reported that theirs will willingly go on deck when in extremis. Others say they can go a day or two without going. Otherwise...you can always pull in some Place before dark and let them go and then press on. I can't overstate how short the days are and short the weather windows are to take the trip slowly, especially if the boat isn't set up for cold weather.

Going the Chessie route this time of year isn't great as many marinas have closed and those open often have closed restaurants and water, even electric turned of..so not great. Sure there are open fully functioning marins, but they aren't always where you want them.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 05:06   #9

Boat: islandpacket

You don't state your boat age or your experience, so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but I've done most of your trip many times on mine and other people's boats. The problems I've seen are old bad dirty fuel. out dated or incomplete charts, bad depth gague.
With this new boat and first big trip you want to make this as fun and painless as possible. With wife and pets go the ICW route. Add a heater to your boat that runs off the hot water of your engine. You will be motering most the entire way and be able to thaw yourself out during the day. You have short cold days, dress warmly, anchor early and dont motor at night. Enjoy the trip
Old 22-11-2015, 05:14   #10

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Alex! You’ll be getting a cold start, but safer to stick with the ICW as much as possible if you’re short on experience, and pick your passage windows for the others (NJ, Florida’s Big Bend). Good guidebooks and online resources should help with the planning. There are some lonely stretches, but take it easy and slow, and stay warm!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 05:26   #11

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Because the NJ intracoastal is out due to mast height...the big decision is getting beat up in the Chessie for a several days to a week...and the trounblesome, plan the current Delaware...or continue down the ocean to the mouth of the Chessie. This time of year the Chessie can be as bad as the ocean...just more options.

Ocean City, MD is an easy day from Cape May, then a tough one on to Norfolk if running to Chincoteague is too big of a gamble (though a towing service or USCG will help if really critical).

Travelling this time of year is less about "cruising" and more about getting to better weather and conditions as quickly as possible. Unless you are on an "expedition" cruise. Making best time to Norfolk is the smart move...after that, while still chilly possibly, is all downhill.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 09:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAFMIAMI View Post
Hello everyone! My name is Alex and on or about December 7 coming up
I will leave NYC onboard of a Morgan 42 I just purchased towards Miami and possibly Houston! I still have not made my mind where will be the final destination. Considering that I might come to Houston, What would be the best way at this time of the year? Faster and with more Urban conveniences around would be ideal since I am going with wife and pets... But since it might just be a wishing loud situation! What is the closest reality to that?
Any input or shared experience and or just an opinion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for the time.

Its mostly a sheltered passage that can be made throughout the year, but early spring perhaps the best time. You will be hugging the coastline where there are many marinas, cities, and so forth. Basically a cake walk. Be sure to have the latest gps map chips for navigating and notice to mariners programmed for your route.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 11:06   #13

Bring weather gear for very cold weeks. One piece Mustang survival gear??
Arctic sleeping bags.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 15:19   #14

So you would go from NY to Cape Fear Inside the ICW and from there open ocean all the way?
Old 22-11-2015, 15:22   #15

Thank you for the great points!

Tags
houston, nyc, texas