Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 06:01   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevediveski View Post
Ok I;m convinced. And I'm over the Morgan 45 too. I have headed your advice. I am now being less amitious about the comfort and roominess factors. I am now looking at some 30-35 fter's. What everyones opinion on and older 1975 Hans Christian? I'll even brovide a link. This boat is also in Cali so I dont have to go through the Panama canal to get home.
1975 Hans Christian 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
P.S. Which are worse used car salesman or yacht brokers?? lol
in lots of ways the oppose of a Morgan 454, you should start a new thread if you want the Hans Christian owners to see your question
Old 20-02-2014, 06:26   #17

The HC boats are heavy displacement full keel boats with huge amounts of teak. If they have been looked after then they can make nice live a board offshore cruisers. Try to avoid teak decks if possible as they can be a source of leaks as well as high maintenance and if in need of replacement could cost as much as many of those boats are worth.
Nice homey interiors and good fit and finish below always makes these boats attractive to the traditionalists. In the trade winds they are not speedy but steady and offer a good soft ride. Not the best coastal cruiser as light airs are not their strong point.
If you want to keep them looking nice you have to have a varnish brush in your back pocket most days but if kept up they usually will gather a crowd at the dock.

They are getting older so check the engine carefully, the tanks,chain plates and rigging. The 33 is also a pretty good layout. All of these boats are go anywhere offshore boats if they have been properly outfitted and maintained.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 06:33   #18

I don't think the community minds helping you, but are you really going to do this for every boat listed in yachtworld?

Get thee to some locally listed boats, and look them over for yourself. The cruisersforum has a search function, and someone has likely commented on just about every boat known. Someone here is going to have a negative opinion about any boat you can find in your price range.

Good luck.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 07:04   #19

Ok sorry
Stevediveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 11:19   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevediveski View Post
Ok sorry
Not a problem. Just type in Hans Christian in your search and you'll get lots of comments.

If there is a boat that you see that doesn't come up on the search and you want comments from CF members just start a new thread.

Good luck in your search. You'll learn a lot about different boats but the best way is to go aboard a bunch and see what might meet your needs.
Old 22-02-2014, 05:45   #21

Boat: Boatless
Steve, I am somewhat in the same "boat" as you. I've been looking hard at Morgans, but in the 30'-38' range. Price wise I was closing in on 40 grand for something really kept up. Chatted with an online friend about this, and she suggested I look at the Catalina 30. Interior looks great for one or two, easy to single hand, and 30' costs less than 38' or more. I absolutely fell in love with the Morgan 41 Out Island. Went of a dock walk here in Florida near one that was for sale. That's a lot of boat.
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 05:47   #22

Boat: Boatless
Oh, and you can pick up a Catalina 30 for under 20 grand. Sometimes well under 20.
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 10:20   #23

I have a Morgan/Catalina 1996 45ft. I've Lived and sailed on it almost 8 years now and love it. I've been cruising Mexico and living here for 5 years now. I like the way it sails and when I have a crew for a extended sail they say (with out prompting) they like it as well. Remember "One's man ceiling is another's man floor"
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 16:42   #24

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I sail a morgan 384 1983 purched last year for 35K It sat for 3 years with no love.
It took better part of 20 k to bring her back bad generator bad air conditioning. no frig My wife need a frig. dink and davits anchor rollers and windlasses haul ots news thru hulls ! yup it all adds up some time you have no control of hundred dollar bills flying out of your hands thats the way boats are.
I do it right the first time to the best standard. very rarely have to revisit the same problem twice..
Cheep and boats is not reality !
I wish you all the luck Lee Nicholas/ Florida
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 09:24   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Just an FYI...

I've got a Morgan 33 Out Island for sale, lying So. California...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-131967-2.html

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 06:43   #26

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I owned 37, 38 and 46 Morgans. They were good boats but be carefule who owned the company when the boat was built. I believe Charlie Morgan sold the ocmpany to Beatrice Foods and they continued to do a good job. Not sure after that.

Take a close look at the 46 for live aboard. I knew one guy who circum navigated in a 46. The previous comments about quality, etc are accurate. As the boats age things tend to need maintenance. One of the problem areas is the plywood cored decks. Check the decks carefully. They can be repaired (mine was) but it is expensive
1948cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 17:17   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

Looking at a 1995 Morgan 45 CC. They say this Nelsen Marek 45 is "off shore rated". Not sure that means anything but what is the general consensus about this Morgan for cruising and passages across oceans?

Lennie
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, morgan 45