Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 15:48   #1

Winter boat sales

Do people still buy cruising sailboats located in the Great Lakes and New England area during the winter? Do buyers skip the sailing part of the pre-purchase inspection if they plan on trucking the boat down south, or does the market just go dormant until spring?
Ebbflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 16:53   #2

Re: Winter boat sales

Boat sales keep going ! Usually, or there should be, as we did, There was a contingency part, that made the deal contingent on sea trails in spring, for engine, and actual functioning of other related components !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 04:03   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

The market does slow down here in the Great Lakes, but it doesn't stop. As Mike says, usually there is a contingency that is pending for sea trials once the water gets softer. Usually prices are cheaper in the fall, and will tend to go up in the spring, as most owners want to avoid winter storage fees. The spring can actually beneficial to hauling a boat south if hiring it out, as there are a number of boats that make the trip south every fall and return in the spring. Meaning there is a good chance to find a delivery truck that is looking for a load going south come spring, and most often will cut a good deal to do so, to avoid having an empty trailer. This is what I did, except I hauled north in the fall as all the others were going south(don't ask..LOL). I had my boat moved for about 1/2 of what is would have cost just by going the "wrong way" for the time of year.
Old 19-11-2019, 08:58   #4

That’s all good info, thanks. When do the waters start softening up for a sea trial? I assume it’s too late now for a sea trial? I’m in Florida.
Ebbflow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sale