Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2019, 16:08   #1

Boat: Tom Gilmer, Roughwater 33
Knowledge of Pinky Schooners being used for cruising offshore?

Hello there. New to the forum. I am sailor and wooden boat nut from Vancouver Island looking for a heavy full keeled cruiser, either in a Gaff rigged ketch arrangement or sloop. Anyway, I'm looking to cruise eventually to the South Pacific with trial runs around Vancouver Island and a trial passage to Hawaii. I'm very enamoured with the Norwegian double enders eg. Colin Archer Pilot vessel style. A possibility has come my way in the form of a Bill Garden Pinky schooner, 28' on deck, 40' overall, 16000 lb displacement. I know these were traditionally used coastally as work boats back east but has anyone any knowledge of one making an ocean passage? By the Length, Draught and displacement she would seem to be a solid little vessel but if anyone has input as to their seaworthiness it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ryan
rkarakai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 16:24   #2
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch
Re: Knowledge of Pinky Schooners being used for cruising offshore?

Hi Ryan. Don't have any wisdom for you on the Pinky, but I am a fellow wooden boat guy. Anyway, welcome aboard and all the best with your endeavors!
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 16:30   #3

Boat: Tom Gilmer, Roughwater 33

Thanks!
rkarakai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 16:40   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I've seen some in action around Gloucester...doesn't seem like there'd be a lot of room inside with the stern all pinched up...not sure they were meant for long-term living.
For me it would all depend on quality of build, if beam , draught and disp. were right.
Old 13-11-2019, 04:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ryan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 08:27   #6

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Lady Ben lists a lot of older wooden boats for sale. It is a fun site for just perusing classic yachts.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 10:17   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Back in the 80'S, while living in Singapore, a Pinky sailed in, had just been launched, after being built in Trengano, E. coast of Malaysia, about 45' on deck, with of coarse a LONG bowsprit,She was built for an American, fisherman from Alaska, anyway, She was sailed across the Indian ocean, and up to the E. coast of America, rumor had it, that they had a hell of a fast passage, i was on board once, and i must say, there wasn't much room for the size, engine right in the way of a salon area, and heavy gear, being a Gaffer, certainly not a single hander, interestingly a number of year' later, She showed up in Port Townsend , Wa., purchased by a knowledgeable seaman, and equipped for a blue water cruise with family, and made it to i believe Australia, sold, another vessel purchased to complete circumnavigation.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:23   #8

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

This video seems to make the case for a liveaboard. Not too far from you and there is contact info at the end of the video.

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 13:37   #9

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Tom Colvin designs them in steel--the plans are available.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 17:43   #10

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Back in the mid 70's a 28ft Pinky schooner arrived in Coffs harbour that had sailed from California. No engine and very little freeboard. I remember it well. The owner was very colorful to say the least. Had a lot of fun with him and it was a shame when he sailed off again..... but what happened to to the boat ???Never heard.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 06:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Tom Colvin designs them in steel--the plans are available.
Tom Colvins were not of Pinky Schooners but were a Designed called a Gazelle, these were designed as a cargo schooner that virtually all were fitted out as private sailing vessels. They were somewhere around 43-44' on deck and about 50' OA from what I remember. Tom really liked the Oriental two and three masted Junk rigs for his boats, some had conventional Marconi rigs, but no many. None had the huge raked back spars of the Pinkies. Tom built his boats just outside of St.Augustine, Fl. One of his hallmarks was splitting a 4" well casing pipe to make the rounded soft chine, instead of the hard but weld of most steel boats.
I use to stop in his place and visit when ever I had a survey up that way, nice guy. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 08:49   #12

Boat: Colvin, Doxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
Tom Colvins were not of Pinky Schooners but were a Designed called a Gazelle, these were designed as a cargo schooner that virtually all were fitted out as private sailing vessels. They were somewhere around 43-44' on deck and about 50' OA from what I remember. Tom really liked the Oriental two and three masted Junk rigs for his boats, some had conventional Marconi rigs, but no many. None had the huge raked back spars of the Pinkies. Tom built his boats just outside of St.Augustine, Fl. One of his hallmarks was splitting a 4" well casing pipe to make the rounded soft chine, instead of the hard but weld of most steel boats.
I use to stop in his place and visit when ever I had a survey up that way, nice guy. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.
There are several variants of Colvin Pinky schooners.
The gazelle is 42 lod.
The gazelles had many different rigs, mostly junk, you are correct.
Some bug-eye with the raked masts, many schooner or ketch. I’ve never seen a single sticker but I’d not gamble that one didn’t exist.
kavw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, offshore