Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 12:14   #1

Socal Cruising: Channel Islands and SMB

Hey All,

I'm a newbie, and have only been sailing for a year or so, but am finishing up the ASA 104 course and want to purchase a used boat for Santa Monica Bay and cruising around Catalina and the Channel Islands.

I'm looking for something under $100k, but preferably around $40-60k or less, and am considering an older F-28 or Telstar 28. The sailing looks fun, and I read that they can motor pretty quickly, which might save some time getting out the 30 miles from MDR channel to Catalina in typical SMB light winds. I also really like the idea of being able to trailer them and bring to other locations.

However, I'm concerned about how those boats might handle the waves? Would be interested if any of you have experience on them or similar tri's, or more generally whether my plan sounds nutty and I should just go for a mono. (I don't want to have to pay for an end slip, cleaning, etc. on a larger cat.)
Patrick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 17:32   #2

Re: Socal Cruising: Channel Islands and SMB

F 28 would be an awesome boat for the Channel Islands!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 02:56   #3

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
F 28 would be an awesome boat for the Channel Islands!

LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:54   #4

Thanks guys!
Patrick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:20   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

With an F-28 you can fold in the amas and keep it in a normal slip. No need for an end tie. I think that would be a great boat for sailing the Channel Islands as you could trailer it up to Santa Barbara and have a nice beam reach out to the islands and back. You could also trailer the boat up to the Salish Sea or Sea of Cortez if you want to expand your horizons. Friends of ours who we met in the S of C did just that. After a season in Baja they competed in the R2AK.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 23:22   #6

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Yes on the F28 (or F31). Join this forum. It was started and monitored by the Corsair/F-boat designer Ian Farrier up until his untimely death 2 years ago. The friendly owners there will answer any question or maintenance issue you will ever have on your F-boat. I understand there is lots of archived valuable searchable info from Ian himself. There are SoCal owners on the site who may offer to help you out or show you their boat.

Also contact Mike Lenneman in MDR. He's your local Fboat guru and former Corsair dealer. He knows where the used boats for sale are. He runs a fun multihull rally out to Catalina every fall. I think there is a current Corsair dealer in SoCal but they are not the same as the older boats designed by Ian himself.

The Latitude 38 Socal TaTa is popular week long event. I'm 67 and raise, lower and launch my F31 solo every year. They are great, very well made, fast, fun boats.

Have fun in your quest.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising