Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 03:25   #1

Easy going, hard-worker with a good head on her shoulders

Hiya! I'm a 23 year old outgoing woman (chick, lady, girl... whatever) and I'm very much interested in seeing if anyone has any crew opportunities for the summer of 2013. I'm not looking for a charter, but crew opportunities where expenses such as food, drink, etc. will be shared in exchange for the opportunity to brush up on my sailing skills and a grand adventure.

A little bit about myself - I am originally from Jamaica, and so quite familiar with the Caribbean and have been to many islands before (including St. Maarten, St. Barths, St. Kitts & Nevis, Saba, St. Eustatius, The Bahamas to name a few). I lived on a 42ft catamaran when I was younger and while my skills will certainly need some brushing up I am confident both in and on the water.

I have an American Sailing Association Basic Keelboat certification. I am a Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician, and a confident SCUBA Diver who has been certified up to Rescue level (with additional certifications in drift, boat, deep, wreck and shore diving, as well as PADI underwater navigator and naturalist certifications). While I only have 50 or so logged dives, I have more than 200 under my belt (I'm just really bad at logging them!) I own my own SCUBA gear (BCD, mask, fins, regulator + octopus) as well as a personal supply of fishing gear, and I also own a 48 inch speargun. I have experience lobstering and conching as they are among my hobbies along with fishing and free-diving.

I am a laid back person, very easy going and love spending time outside. I enjoy hiking, kite surfing, sailing, swimming - anything to do with the water really. I have 2+ years of experience working on an Emergency Medical Service and have no problem keeping odd hours and working long shifts. I have multiple degrees - two BSc's in Biology and Geography and I'm currently completing my MSc in Europe before returning home to start medical school in September. My Geography degree has awarded me some experience with map reading - both terrestrial and marine.

I thoroughly enjoy cooking, have no problem cleaning and in general I am a hard worker. I know a little about air compressors and have no problems getting my hands dirty with tools although in this I would probably need some initial instruction. I am very confident in the fact that while I may need some refreshing on certain sailing techniques (especially for larger boats as I currently just play around in a Hobie cat) I am intelligent and a quick learner. I am a good listener with common sense and can take instructions well.

I will be returning to the Caribbean at the end of July (once graduated) and would love to hear from anyone about any opportunities which may arise! If anyone is searching searching for an adventureous, easy going, fun and intelligent traveling partner and looking to start your trip sometime this summer, then I think I can fit that bill!
Old 20-02-2013, 03:33   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Re: Easy going, hard-worker with a good head on her shoulders

With those credentials you should have many choices.Good luck in your search.marc
Old 20-02-2013, 03:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Easy going, hard-worker with a good head on her shoulders

Hi Irie Gyal... Welcome to CF..
Impressive resume...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 20-02-2013, 03:48   #4

Thanks! I've been a member for a while, just lurking around mostly. I figured that since I have a month long break in my academic career coming up it would be high time I got back on a boat. Hopefully some one out there will show up with some opportunities!
Old 20-02-2013, 03:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Easy going, hard-worker with a good head on her shoulders

Pretty sure something will pop up... keep your eye on the 'Wanted' section it looks to have got real busy over the last week or two.. folk have started planning..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 20-02-2013, 08:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

irie... Just reading your qualifications and experience at your age.... AND I think I speak for more than a few.... Made us feel ashamedly exhausted!....

You will have no problems I assure you!

PS: WELCOME!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 20-02-2013, 09:28   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie_gyal View Post
Hiya! I'm a 23 year old outgoing woman (chick, lady, girl... whatever) and I'm very much interested in seeing if anyone has any crew opportunities for the summer of 2013. I'm not looking for a charter, but crew opportunities where expenses such as food, drink, etc. will be shared in exchange for the opportunity to brush up on my sailing skills and a grand adventure.
Awesome CV , perhaps only missing membership of Cruisers & Sailing Forums - The International Bucketeer Squadron!

But don't worry, invite enroute .

That and being willing to put hand in pocket should pretty much guarantee you getting the pick of the litter on boat choices .

Clearly you have no problem travelling internationally , nonetheless if you do have an easy travelling passport then perhaps worth a mention as some folks are easily confused when it comes to getting visas for self (rather than simply turning up and getting stamped in), let alone for crew with different (less easy?) passports........... just a thought.

Anyway, welcome to CF (for some reason threads started by people of the female persuasion tend to be a tad longer, methinks some of us need to get out more . me included ).
Old 20-02-2013, 12:02   #8

Thanks to everyone who took the time to provide some feedback! I'm definitely looking forward to the possibility of some great adventures this summer before hunkering back down for school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
irie... Just reading your qualifications and experience at your age.... AND I think I speak for more than a few.... Made us feel ashamedly exhausted!....

You will have no problems I assure you!

PS: WELCOME!
Thank you! I have certainly been busy academically the last few years so I'm hoping at some point it'll start paying off in ways other than weeks of stress during exam times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Awesome CV , perhaps only missing membership of Cruisers & Sailing Forums - The International Bucketeer Squadron!

But don't worry, invite enroute .

That and being willing to put hand in pocket should pretty much guarantee you getting the pick of the litter on boat choices .

Clearly you have no problem travelling internationally , nonetheless if you do have an easy travelling passport then perhaps worth a mention as some folks are easily confused when it comes to getting visas for self (rather than simply turning up and getting stamped in), let alone for crew with different (less easy?) passports........... just a thought.

Anyway, welcome to CF (for some reason threads started by people of the female persuasion tend to be a tad longer, methinks some of us need to get out more . me included ).

As far as my traveling internationally goes - I'm more than set when it comes to passports. My Jamaican nationality gives me easy coming/going in the Caribbean and I am also a European Union citizen which allows me to go pretty much everywhere else. No visas required, I'm happy to report.

I'm more than willing to contribute towards expenses on the journey, especially since I don't have a vessel of my own (yet!). I know there are going to be differing suggestions on monthly contributions, varying on the nature of each boat's expedition, and as long as it's not well out of range on a student's budget I'm confident I can make worthwhile contributions to food, drink, etc.

P.S. Invitation accepted!
Old 20-02-2013, 12:15   #9

Boat: Niagara 35

Holy Cow! This is not the typical crew available post! You should have no trouble at all. Makes me wish I needed crew.
Old 20-02-2013, 13:14   #10

you would put people twice your age to shame, would say you will have no problem finding a boat to crew on. if i was your side of the world i,d want you on board best of luck in your search
Old 20-02-2013, 14:39   #11

I am sailing the east coast of australia in late april.... if you are interested?
Geoff
Old 20-02-2013, 15:13   #12

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot

Whenever it crosses your mind to try the Mediterranean this summer please let me know. There will be people your age on board a lot of the time, no chartering, just friends and family. Impressive list indeed
Old 20-02-2013, 15:31   #13

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Laid back--- adventurous..... you WILL get offers!!!
Old 20-02-2013, 18:40   #14
cruiser

Add "independently wealthy", and I think I'm in love...
Old 20-02-2013, 20:18   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Levanter"

irie........does your father own a pub by any chance? Just kidding. You will go far I feel.

Tags
crew available, experience, hard worker, intelligent