Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 10:02   #1

Newbie in search of a home port

Hey all!

My path to bluewater is nearly complete, but still searching for a great liveaboard: 42' seems ideal, true bluewater boat will be paid for at time of sale....(( BUT ))

My search for a home port seems even harder: at first I was Washington/ Oregon bound, but both my partner and i have severe issues with the cold and constant drizzly grey (more about depression than anything else). I wanted less people and more nature. So if west is too hard, where is an east coast marina (Chesapeake Bay?) that is (somewhat) safer from hurricanes, and affordable. *Name names! I've only read about mild hatred for liveaboards at Marinas.
*My boat will be nice and well kept/ that's just who I am.

Thanx!
Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 10:44   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Newbie in search of a home port

Well, there are slips available in Channel Islands and Ventura harbors, as long as you don't mind southern California weather
Some very nice islands nearby too.. but don't tell anyone!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 10:56   #3

Boat: Tartan 4100

I'm on the Chesapeake and the prices for a slip can have a pretty broad range, from under $1000 to well over $5K. With the higher prices being near major boating areas or cities like Annapolis, D.C., Baltimore, St. Michaels, Solomon's Island, Deltaville, Hampton etc..... Lower prices will be in more remote areas which will offer fewer conveniences like the proximity to groceries/marine stores et al.

The weather here can be cold in the winter, hot and humid in the summer but extremely beautiful spring/fall. The Bay has so much to offer it could literally take a lifetime to explore all of the creeks, rivers, towns and villages that line the shoreline. Summer thunderstorms can be severe but usually short lived.

If money is not a concern, I really like Annapolis for the boating community and the focus on the marine industry. Solomon's Island has a great vibe and several marinas that cater to liveaboards.

Are you searching for a "country club" style marina, bare bones, or somewhere in the middle?
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 13:54   #4

Somewhat in the middle fills the bill... the thing that makes it hard is it's like an all-in transition: shore to ship w/slip. Thinking about it in terms of short-hauls to become more competent with a new (used) boat purchase (a.k.a. sailing) becomes important. I think the core fundamental is wheather: not too severe over a year, to make an enormous transition easier...
Whew!
There is so much to this!

Your favorite boats? I need bluewater capable, but have moved from full shoal keel like Westsail, to better light wind performance (for better fuel economy over time) = fin keel, skeg rudder set up. Top mark all-in is $150,000.
Thanks!
Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 21:35   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

From what you describe, price and size and design, sounds like a Peterson 44. But there are others of course. You might browse through bluewaterboats.org too for ideas, but that is not the final word on all the best boats available necessarily. Good luck!
The Kelly Peterson 44 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 21:55   #6

To OP:

I don't know your job situation but if you're working remotely or have a marine related trade why not split the year between Summer in New England and Winter in Florida? Several liveaboard friends of mine live like that for the past 15-20 years.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc