Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2017, 06:37   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Aluminum tank maintenance: bleach, alternative, or nothing at all?

Hello all,

Starting the season here and going to be living aboard for a couple months at least. My new-to-me-boat has three relatively new aluminum tanks for a total capacity of about 90 gallons. There is a filter element near the pressure tank and another tiny carbon filter at the galley sink. The water was tasty and clean last season and I don't think there are any real contamination problems, but right now I'm still trying to rinse out the faint rotten apple flavor of the non-toxic antifreeze.

Most of the literature online deals with seriously dirty tanks. But with no immediate problems, do you still perform an annual maintenance purification? If so, do you use bleach on aluminum tanks or some non-corrosive alternative? I can't find any products that fit the bill except Puriclean which doesn't seem to be available in the US. Or is the light chlorination of the city water supply enough already?

Thanks,
Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 06:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Aluminum tank maintenance: bleach, alternative, or nothing at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Hello all,

Starting the season here and going to be living aboard for a couple months at least. My new-to-me-boat has three relatively new aluminum tanks for a total capacity of about 90 gallons. There is a filter element near the pressure tank and another tiny carbon filter at the galley sink. The water was tasty and clean last season and I don't think there are any real contamination problems, but right now I'm still trying to rinse out the faint rotten apple flavor of the non-toxic antifreeze.

Most of the literature online deals with seriously dirty tanks. But with no immediate problems, do you still perform an annual maintenance purification? If so, do you use bleach on aluminum tanks or some non-corrosive alternative? I can't find any products that fit the bill except Puriclean which doesn't seem to be available in the US. Or is the light chlorination of the city water supply enough already?

Thanks,
Jack
Howdy Jack.

I am no expert on this topic. But, CF Member Peggy Hall is the expert on things related to odors on boats. This is a link to a post where she gave very good instructions on how to refresh, clean, or ready water tanks for use, especially if the boat has been sitting.

Water Foul Odors from WATER TANK.

Look for Post #8 by Peggy Hall.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2292272
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 06:50   #3

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Thanks, yeah I read her posts before but I've also heard some conflicting info. She dismisses the danger of bleach with aluminum but I've heard other people say no way and use an alternative rather than risk the corrosion. Also she recommends vinegar which another source (Practical Sailor?) said can cause a different type of bacteria to grow. I just wanted to see what people here actually do before I follow her advice. My plan otherwise was to do a very light bleach solution and rinse it out right away.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 07:13   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

About the best and only real solution is to fill and flush with city water. That has plenty of chlorine in it, so much that I believe long term it will shorten the life of the tank. I filter all my water through a carbon block filter at a very slow fill rate.
Besides, your trying to remove antifreeze, not a biological growth problem?

If I ever replace it, it will not be with aluminum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 07:37   #5

Boat: Moody 425

Don't use bleach. It will eventually hurt the tanks. I'm not on the boat right now so I don't remember the product name we use. But maybe HopCar will join in this discussion. He sells the stuff, and I think he's the only one in the USA. It's name is something like Puraclean. It disinfects and cleans and is safe on aluminum.
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 08:04   #6

You might consider hydrogen peroxide in 30% strength as its very effective and will not do damage to aluminum tanks. If someone is telling you that bleach can not harm aluminum they are misinformed.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 08:05   #7

There's nothing like a cup of tea a hot shower with either the bleach or plumbing anti-freeze flavour.
My routine to good water begins in the fall when winterizing. Both hot water tanks are bypassed and drained.
Non-toxic plumbing anti-freeze is pumped through all taps and showers followed by a blast of compressed air into the 'city hookup' at the stern.
Come spring, the water tanks are filled with water and pumped through all outlets.
Step two - add chlorine --- a cup or two (103 gal capacity tank) fill with water and pump out. No wait time required if it is not a serious problem you are trying to solve.
Fill and pump again.
Pour in a full box of baking soda. Fill and pump again a couple of times. This eliminates the chlorine taste and smell.
Fill ... reconnect the hot water tanks and all should be good to go.
It
BrianGJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 08:38   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Thanks Sailing Drummer.

Avoid using chlorine in aluminum tanks. It is corrosive to aluminum. You can get away with it for a while but it does eventually damage the tanks.

If you don't want to change to plastic tanks, I suggest you clean the aluminum tanks with Puriclean. Practical Sailor magazine did extensive tests on tank cleaners. Their top rated one, better than bleach, was Puriclean. Puriclean was also the only one safe on aluminum.
Clean Tabs Ltd | Water Purification | Water Purification Tablets | Water Tank Cleaning | Water Treatment | Drinking Water Disinfection

It is distributed in the US by my old company.
Aqua Clean Tabs - MFG# LPTBMIDI

Someone told me they were currently out of stock on it. Call Roddy or Victor at 800 595 9656 to check the availability.
Old 25-04-2017, 09:52   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Jack,

We use a product often used by commercial water treatment plants. It is safe and cheap, and you don't have to rinse it out unless the tanks are foul.

Neutra Sul HP41N Professional Grade Oxidizer [for cleaning/sanitizing potable water tanks and plumbing- similar to 7% hydrogen peroxide]

For our own sake [and to share] we maintain a page of products we find best for cleaning, treating, odor and corrosion control in case it is of interest.

Best wishes to you.

Cheers! Bill
Old 25-04-2017, 09:57   #10

Boat: Jeanneau S.O 42.1
Send a message via Skype™ to hspanhaak

Herlisil is what is used in Europe. Available in Sauna shops. worth investigating
hspanhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 10:20   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Now I have to check if my water tanks are aluminum or steel.
Thanks
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 11:03   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

An issue with H2O2 is I cannot find the final mixture strength required to sanitize water.
I can find the dilution ratio to combat iron in water, it apparently does that very well, but not to sanitize water.
I gave up, maybe someone else can find that data.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 12:53   #13

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

The first year I owned my boat I winterized with antifreeze in the tanks and then pulled through the system. The smell the next year was enough for me.

We have a guest house/barn that I winterize every year by blowing out all the lines with compressed air. Figured I would try on the boat.

First I drain all tank water through a seacock, bypass water pump.
I made up a simple fitting that I connect to the hose leading out of the water tank. It's a hose barb with NPT->female NPT air line.

Connect my air line to fitting, adjust pressure down to 40psi and run it thru. Blasts all the water from the lines. I do this a few times to get everything over a couple days. Splash a little antifreeze down the head sink and in bilge and thats it.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 14:23   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Thanks Sailing Drummer.

If you don't want to change to plastic tanks, I suggest you clean the aluminum tanks with Puriclean.
We use Puriclean too, because its just the right size for the water tank and only a couple of ££ in the chandlers so worth chucking in a pot every Spring.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 21:51   #15

My pre retirement background was 35 years of water treatment management. Seen a lot of chemicals interact with lots of metal tanks. Our experience was always to avoid chlorine and aluminum contact. But that usually applied to free chlorine (cl-2) as was used in the old days, either as a gas, or in a bleach compound , which is chlorine gas mixed with caustic soda (lye, like in draino) commonly called sodium hypochlorite or in a reduced concentration clorox. But it's been pretty much phased out in the United States due to it's production of disinfection byproducts called trihalomethanes (thm's) which are carcinogenic compounds and replaced with chloramine which is chlorine and ammonia mixed together. Less reactive with organic material in the water (less byproducts) and longer lasting. But still corrosive to aluminum. Although I've never used it, I believe Puriclean is another chlorine compound called chlorine dioxide. It is used in water treatment and is very effective against some of the viruses and protozoa like cryptosporidium and giardia which are resistant to free chlorine. Although chlorine dioxide has it's own bad byproducts called chlorites. Having said all that, chlorine whether from a bleach bottle or calcium hypochlorite (swimming pool tablet) will corrode an aluminum water tank over time, but tap water will take a very long time to do terminal damage. I just replaced my original 100 gal. aluminum water tank in my 35 year old Endeavour 37 with a new aluminum tank. It did have some substantial corrosion inside, but did not leak. The pounding it would have taken in our upcoming cruise surely would have made it leak, so I replaced it, but it it lasted 35 years with domestic tap water inside. Whatever disinfectant (oxident) you choose to use, whether it be chlorine based or iodine or copper or silver based, or hydrogen peroxide, I'd suggest you completely drain your tank and re-fill it with domestic tap water or reverse osmosis water maker water before putting it in service.
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, maintenance