Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 11:12   #1

New to the west coast

I've sailed on the east coast for 15 years in dinghies and sport boats as well as one offshore delivery from BDA to Maine. This summer I'm doing the SoCal 300 and TransPac, I'm not sure if I'll need new or additional gear to suit the climate. I've got typical dinghy gear (gloves, shorts, splash top, rash guards, thermal stuff...) and an offshore kit (foul weather jacket+pants and tall boots). Any reccomnedations?
scotiansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:59   #2

Re: New to the west coast

I would bring weather gear">foul weather gear even TransPac. Water is still cold for me in first half. I assume you will be crewing those races, ask other crews.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:17   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiansailor View Post
I've sailed on the east coast for 15 years in dinghies and sport boats as well as one offshore delivery from BDA to Maine. This summer I'm doing the SoCal 300 and TransPac, I'm not sure if I'll need new or additional gear to suit the climate. I've got typical dinghy gear (gloves, shorts, splash top, rash guards, thermal stuff...) and an offshore kit (foul weather jacket+pants and tall boots). Any reccomnedations?
Sounds like a nice summer.

Transpac:
The water off the California coast is chilly (about 50 degrees F). So, warm underwear and foul weather clothing (and deck boots) are a good idea. Later, as you get close to Hawaii (half way point), the water and air temps will be warm, and you will want to wear a tshirt and swim trunks and light shoes.

Coastal California:
Warm weather clothing is good to have when ashore, but the chilly water and fog and "close to water temp" air can be cool when on the water, so a fleece top and bottom and wool socks and watch cap and some neoprene gloves along with foul weather coat (with hood) and pants will be appreciated.

Also, racing boats can be "wet" down below. So, be prepared with some way to cover your sleeping bag from drips of leaking deck gear/hatches/ports/sails.

Have fun!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 15:02   #4

Thanks for the advice!
scotiansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 15:26   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Now that you got the right advice, I'd say be sure to bring those things you crave after a while... I really like salami, beef jerky and smoked oysters and hot chocolate, but not all at the same time. Good little waterproof camera too.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:48   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

After 20 years sailing the East Coast (love Nova Scotia BTW) and transplanting to the West Coast 2 years ago I have learned one thing:

We only thought we knew what cold was. Remember your Mom saying "Dress warm"? That. Have fun and good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:13   #7

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Sounds like a nice summer.

Transpac:
The water off the California coast is chilly (about 50 degrees F).

Have fun!
I do not wish to start anything, but the seawater temps off of the southern California coast tend more toward 60 degrees F or a tad higher. But as with all things marine there are variables, including the definition of southern California, not to mention the routing, which probably will not be rhumb line to Hawaii, (probably in the 70+ degree F range once in the vicinity. Nonetheless, I agree with the recommendations by Steady Hand, with the added point of a decent watch cap (see his photo) and a securable hat for shade (not just the eyes) The latter is based on my own skin cancer experiences (no melanomas thus far). Enjoy, you lucky sea dog.
Old 09-03-2017, 14:46   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

As the others have pointed out, it gets really chilly off the coast, due to the Japanese current, which brings all the arctic water south. When you sail in Nova Scotia, you have the gulf current bringing all the warm water north. Exactly the opposite!

Be prepared for just about anything. A sun hat is a necessity. You will find it is more chilly than you expected, especially at night, even during the summer.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 15:24   #9

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheintz View Post
As the others have pointed out, it gets really chilly off the coast, due to the Japanese current, which brings all the arctic water south. When you sail in Nova Scotia, you have the gulf current bringing all the warm water north. Exactly the opposite!

Be prepared for just about anything. A sun hat is a necessity. You will find it is more chilly than you expected, especially at night, even during the summer.
I do not believe the Japanese current flows along the California coast. My mother (dead, and I am 73) always used to blame the "Japanese current" for what she thought of as cold water at the beaches from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles. My parents moved here from Michigan before before WWII, so I wonder if this was an Michigan education based misnomer, or if the name was changed (to the "California current") as a result to WWII. Anyway, it is, I believe, unrelated to the Arctic, although it flows from north to south, more or less, but does drop water temps off the coast of California because of "upwelling" (seafloor configurations that brought up nutrients and cold water from the bottom) That one I learned in school -probably jr. high or maybe high school.
Old 09-03-2017, 15:27   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, not to be a PITA but 'round these parts we call it the California current... and like Buzz says, 50 degrees is quite a bit on the low side. I will say if you are be sprayed by the local seawater north of lat 35 or so, it will feel like 50!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 15:31   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

Well, I'm a bit younger than you ( not by much ) and a native Californian. Now I have a house on Lake Michigan.... how we all move around! OK, so I was told this growing up in California.

Did some research on the infallible internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Current and it conforms to what you said... so I stand corrected... but I still think of it as the Japanese current....
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 15:32   #12

Boat: J/42

I believe that PNW highskoolers used to be taught that it was the "Japanese Current" that moderated ocean temperatures by pumping warm water across the Gulf of Alaska. After which it morphs into the California Current. Sort of a Yin/Yang thing. So we gets 50 degrees in the summer and we gets 50 degrees in the winter. You can call it cold or warm as you prefer.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
west coast