Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54   #1

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
C-Map Chart for Bahamas

I have a new B&G Zeus2 chartplotter, that uses C-Map Max-N+.I need charts covering the Gulf of Mexico thru Bahamas, as we are planning a cruise at the beginning of next year.Everyone says that I need Explorer Charts for the Bahamas, and I plan to buy those in paper form.Some of the C-Map chips also use Explorer data as well, but in September 2013 Explorer identified issues regarding C-Map 022 version with their data being overwritten by inaccurate other sources in the Abacos, Grand Bahama, Little Bahama, area east of Crooked Island Passage, and Turks and Caicos.Here is a link to that article:http://chatter.explorercharts.com/?page_id=8936

Here are chart choices that cover the area:

• NA-Y022 US East Coast and the Bahamas.Data: CANADIAN HYDROGRAPHIC OFFICE, HYDROGRAPHIC OFFICE (UK), IMRAY LAURIE NORIE & WILSON (UK), EXPLORER CHARTBOOK LEWIS OFFSHORE LTD, WAVEY LINE
  • NA-Y027 Central America and Caribbean.Data: SERV HYDR ET OCE DE LA MARINE (FRANCE), HYDROGRAPHIC OFFICE (UK), IMRAY LAURIE NORIE & WILSON (UK), EXPLORER CHARTBOOK LEWIS OFFSHORE LTD, DIR GEN ADJUNTA HI & CART (MEXICO), WAVEY LINE
  • NA-Y055Southeast US Including Explorer Bahamas.Note that C-Maps says this is exclusive Explorer only.Data: HYDROGRAPHIC OFFICE (UK), EXPLORER CHARTBOOK LEWIS OFFSHORE LTD
These electronic-format charts are about $200 each.Y027 covers the entire area I need, but I am concerned about the issue in the Bahamsa that Explorer raised.I have emailed them, but no response yet (only been a couple of days).I am most interested in Exumas, but we will be going back for Abaco’s, and have crossing in some of those areas.Has anyone used the Y022 or Y027 and still found issues? (I know it is hard to compare when generally it is Explorer data, or it is not - and I suspect there is no way to find out for the region being viewed.)

Or should I just spend the $’s and get the Y055 as well, and just swap out the card before we leave Florida?

Just FYI, the Jeppesen rep says that latest version chip updates will be released at the end of the month, including a Max-N+ 2015 version, that aerial photos, shaded relief, and some hi-res satellite imagery.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:15   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: C-Map Chart for Bahamas

I have used C-Map on Furuno NavNet3D in the Near Bahamas, Berry's, and Exumas over the last few years. Just returned and the latest C-Map was 100% correct in the shallow areas* everywhere we were (GeorgeTown and north). Garmin BlueChart on the iPad was the same correctness, and that same warning is out about Garmin.

Of course, reading the water is the safest way to navigate the shallows in the Bahamas, use the chart only as a guide.

FWIW, I can't imagine Monte (Explorer Charts) has sounded all of the Bahamas, so even his books must have data from others.

* - if you are into fishing at the edges (like Exuma Sound), many times, the charts would show <100' of water and my fishfinder/depth sounder was showing 750', as an example. Hence, fishing the dropoffs, pay attention to your instruments.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:53   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

The C-Maps in question actually use a "blend" of Explorer Charts and Wavey Line Charts. Wavey Line is produced by a couple that have lived in the Bahamas and produced their charts for decades. That have been around much longer then Explorer. Jeppsen chose to add these charts because there are some areas that Wavey Line produces in more detail and with more depth information. For whatever reason, Wavey Line never decided to publish a chart book like Explorer. As you might expect, there is a less than friendly rivalry there. The Wavey Line charts are used in place of, and not overwriting Explorer charts in some areas. The use of the Wavy Line charts is a very small percentage of the chip. We have used the "blend" chip and can attest to no issues whatsoever. There are probably hundreds of boaters using the mixed chips and have no idea they are. No one to our knowledge has reported any issues with the mixed charts that they have not reported with the Explorer charts alone. Using any charts and plotters in the Bahamas, and elsewhere, should be approached as a navigational aid only. Especially in the Bahamas, the plotter is used as a guide and eyeball navigation is the key to safety. In full disclosure, we use Wavey Line charts exclusively in our Bahamas anchorage guide. Here is a link to the Wavey Line website with more information. http://www.waveylinepublishing.com/about-us/

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 13:23   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Thanks for the clarification. I knew little about Wavey Line. Actually the C-Map Y055 chart is Explorer data only, where Y022 and Y027 include Wavey and other data. I also heard from another Bahama veteran that the Y022 - which uses the same Bahamas data as Y027, except smaller area - has been accurate for them in the region we plan to cruise. I think that sways me toward buying the Y027 update coming out at the end of the month, which covers the GoM and Bahamas - all the areas we will be traveling.

Thanks again for your insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
The C-Maps in question actually use a "blend" of Explorer Charts and Wavey Line Charts. /
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, c-map