Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 06:13   #1

Price of mast, sail and all rigging

I have a 2018 450s Lagoon catamaran that lost the mast in a hurricane. Any idea of the cost at replacing all the rigging, sails, mast, spreader ect. Thanks
sdtheclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Price of mast, sail and all rigging

Doubt very much anyone here can help as such.. maybe best to contact Lagoon direct for the relevant specs.
Ideally you need the dimensions of the mast for a start.. then contact mast builders and see what they quote you plus transportation..
Same with local riggers and sailmakers.
You may be lucky and find a Lagoon 450 hull that's been totalled somewhere along the hurricanes path but still has an intact mast.. but how one would find it is another matter.
Another option (much simpler and cheaper) is to convert her to a Gaff Wing Sail rig..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Price of mast, sail and all rigging

30-80k
Old 05-01-2018, 06:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Price of mast, sail and all rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
30-80k
But.. is the 2018 model the same as last years model.. the 2017..

PS: Yes OP.. I am an *******..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:05   #5

Boat: Privilege 435

I replaced my mast a few years ago on my 45 Privilege. I live in Bermuda and we pay import duty on everything we bring in so there is not a lot of point in telling you what it actually cost me but...

I received a couple of quotes from U.S manufacturers (and eventually bought a Z1001 mast from U.S Spars). A mast with single diamond spreaders and fittings was quoted in the 16K range.

The rigging was quoted around 8k. Of course you have to add shipping and fitting.

Also, you cannot just order a mast strictly by size. You need to get the specs from Lagoon as they take into account inertia, bending moments and all sorts of complicated stuff. If you get the specs from Lagoon, you can then send off to the mast manufactures for a quote.

Last year I had custom sails supplied by National Sail Supply out of Florida. I had a heavy dacron main with battens, an 8oz dacron genoa with sunbrella sunstrip and a 1.5oz nylon assym. They cost me around 10K.

Hope this helps.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:55   #6

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Odds are the mast was made by ZSpar. You can contact the US division which is US Spar. I had to buy a part for my boat from them and they were very helpful. If ZSpar made the mast, US Spar will have all the specs for you. Unfortunately, they don't list any multihulls on their web site, so you'll have to call them.

US Spars Inc | Welcome to America's Premier Mast and Boat Equipment Manufacturer
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:31   #7

Boat: LIPARI 41

Just replaced the mast for lipari 41 here in florida everything from mast step up all rigging and lines 38K
seaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:11   #8

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

It might be worthwhile to talk to your insurance carrier,. they’ may have already paid for a similar replacement. If not them, reach out to others, I’d try Pantaenius, for one.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 14:42   #9

Boat: Lagoon 500

Assuming you are in the VI, I have never been impressed with the riggers in either the USVI or BVI. The boatyards in southern Grenada are very likely the best deals and the best in the whole of the Eastern Caribbean.

Another choice is might be looking into a few shops in Fajardo, Puerto Rico.

If your boat is in the Bahamas, Ft Lauderdale would be your best bet. I recommend Mack Sails. I had them replace all of the rigging & sails for under $32,000 (FP43). Colin Mack may have a recommendation. He might have a recommendation for you if you are further south.

Also, I do not know the height of your rig, but if over 65 ft you might consider making the new rig IC compliant.
Cat White House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 15:18   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Surely it’s insured? Then of course they have a say.
However if I were to do this, I believe I’d make sure she was sea worthy, then Plan on motoring her to Florida to a rigger there.
However we don’t know where it is so that may not be an option
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:47   #11

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping

I assume you are looking at the auction boat from TMM. I just got a quote from US Spars for a lagoon 420 for a complete rig replacement including all rigging, lines, electrical, and furlers. 58k delivered to FL.
AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:36   #12

Thanks for all the replies. Yes the boat is seaworthy and is in South Florida. I'm waiting on a reply from Lagoon to see what they say. I will give the guy in Fort Lauderdale a shout and hopefully he can get my a quote. Thanks again
sdtheclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

If this was/is a salvage boat there are really quite a few options. Starting with building the new mast from a "blemished" section which has some defects in the anodizing or some scratches and maybe non structural dings from shipping from Europe.

Fitting a used boom, furler and sails other possibilities. Let me know if you're looking to go this route and I'm happy to help. Put a new "blemished" mast on my boat last year.
Old 08-01-2018, 13:08   #14

Boat: LAGOON 400

Cant you just order from ZSPAR, guys that made mast ? At least you know you will get what you need.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 17:28   #15

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtheclub View Post
I have a 2018 450s Lagoon catamaran that lost the mast in a hurricane. Any idea of the cost at replacing all the rigging, sails, mast, spreader ect. Thanks
Funny you should ask. I have a 2017 450F that lost its rig during Irma, but was otherwise largely undamaged. I ordered a complete OEM rig from US Spars as soon as I received the OK from my insurance carrier, and that very mast was stepped just today. I should note that US Spars was able to find the exact specs of my factory rig via the hull number and from a few numbers that were on the original mast.

Total cost of the new mast, including a new OEM furler/foils, all rigging, a new boom, and shipping tot he BVI was $43,291. If you don't need the furler, subtract about $3,000. My sails had been stowed for the storm and were undamaged, so I can't help you there. I don't have the bill from the rigger yet, but I anticipate $4,000-$5,000 in labor.

If you have additional damage beyond the rig, an invaluable resource is the Beneteau Parts web site. You have to register and wait for login credentials from Beneteau, but that only takes a day or two. From Beneteau's site you can find most OEM parts for your 450. This link will take you directly to Beneteau's parts page: BENETEAU USA

I should note that I ultimately placed my Lagoon parts order through Multitech Marine, as Multitech is a Lagoon parts dealer in North America and as such was able to find parts that I could not find on the Beneteau Parts web site, as comprehensive as it is.

It has been quite an effort to get my boat back together, and I feel like I was actually one of the lucky ones, at least from a damage perspective. If anyone is wondering, my boat had been dry docked and sand screwed at Nanny Cay for the hurricane season. The boat is currently docked in Road Town.

Best of luck with your 450. Feel free to reach out with any questions.
D-Vector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, price, rigging, sail