Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 11:50   #1

Boat Yard/marina recommendations east coast USA

Hey friends!

My boyfriend and I just bought a 53' Amel in Connecticut, and plan to sail down to the Caribbean (and eventually circumnavigate..)

With winter almost here, we need to get the boat south ASAP! She needs new standing rigging and other minor projects we plan to work on ourselves.

Any suggestions of good boat yards or marinas with excellent reputations that can complete any work to ensure she is really seaworthy? (SC --> FL)
She is already in excellent condition. Just needs new rigging, movement of solar panels, possible addition of wind generator, and an arch on the back with dinghy davits..
We were hoping to sail her down ASAP.. get her set up.. and be able to fly back to CT for the holidays.

Thanks!
Hannah
hannahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Boat Yard/marina recommendations east coast USA

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Hannah.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:22   #3

Cracker Boat Boatworks in Riviera Beach FL is where I brought my boat a couple times in the 1980s. I installed my new Perkins motor there. I’ve seen them recommended on here more recently as a decent DIY yard. I believe they want to supply the materials you use. Not a dealbreaker in my mind. You’d need to do some research. They also have a yard in Ft Pierce. Congratulations and good luck with your Amel!
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:34   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Sailcraft Service in Oriental NC. It's where I am now, finishing the refit of my deck. Oriental is south of the freeze line and while not as warm as SC or further south, the yard is responsive and will get you out the door as fast as is reasonably possible. It also allows DIY work and is very supportive of DIY'ers.

Check out the reviews on Active Captain. You're not likely to find a better reviewed yard.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:44   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Hi Hannah, you didn’t say where in Connecticut or whether you are going to try to do this work before you take it south. Right now you will find the Connecticut yards are mostly concerned with hauling boats and winterizing, and project work is going to take a backseat. Some boats were probably damaged by last nights sudden deep freeze. If the boat is in acceptable condition to take the trip south, that might be your best bet considering the timing.
However, I’m sure you could find a rigger in CT who will do this and a yard who will pull the stick for you. Where are you in Connecticut? I’m in the area and might be able to share some experience with the few yards I know.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:00   #6

Boat: Baba 40

Hannah,

I can recommend the folks at Herrington Harbour North in Deale MND near Annapolis. They have a full set of qualified companies on site, many of whom have worked on my boat, including:

Rigging - East Coast Rigging
Carpentry and Stainless Steel work - Phipps Boatworks
Electronics - Marine Technical Services (MTS)
Shiver Me Timbers - Refrigeration and plumbing

and multiple engine mechanics.

While Herrington will do project management, all of the contractors are independent.

While not always ice free, I have left the boat in the water over the winter.
ctrosclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:21   #7

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahk View Post
Hey friends!

My boyfriend and I just bought a 53' Amel in Connecticut, and plan to sail down to the Caribbean (and eventually circumnavigate..)

With winter almost here, we need to get the boat south ASAP! She needs new standing rigging and other minor projects we plan to work on ourselves.

Any suggestions of good boat yards or marinas with excellent reputations that can complete any work to ensure she is really seaworthy? (SC --> FL)
She is already in excellent condition. Just needs new rigging, movement of solar panels, possible addition of wind generator, and an arch on the back with dinghy davits..
We were hoping to sail her down ASAP.. get her set up.. and be able to fly back to CT for the holidays.

Thanks!
Hannah
===

Thunderbolt Marine just south of Savannah, Georgia. They do excellent work of all kinds, have a courtesy car available for errands, and are far enough south to keep you warm most of the time.

Thunderbolt Marine Inc.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:23   #8

Boat: Sea Ray 270

I would start motoring now, lol. As a previous poster said, most yards up north are busy with winterizing boats. I ran into that problem in Baltimore this month. No time for my engine problem (which I ended up fixing myself anyway). Starting in NC you have a couple of good yards that are reasonable in price. I spent a while in Washington, NC (Capt. Sam's now McCotters) and got a lot of work done but did it mostly myself. While it is inexpensive there (comparatively) there are not a lot fo contractors around to help you if you need it. There is are several boatyards in Charleston, SC but I have heard both good and bad about them, though most Active Captain reviews are mostly positive about all of them. Charleston is expensive!
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:38   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you want to DIY and live on board, Bock Marine near Beaufort NC is where I ended up on the same program. Great folks, prices are right, but there were some damn cold nights on the hard.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:13   #10

Bennet Brothers in Wilmington, NC
Jameshalpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:31   #11

Cape Fear Boat Works in Wilmington, N. C.
johnleeknot2bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 18:32   #12

Boat: Boatless

If I am correct, you have a mast height of 65'8" which means, with your instrument in place, you'll likely be having some very unpleasant experiences going under bridges. Or perhaps just one unpleasant experience resulting in the end of your adventure.

So plan carefully. You'll come down the East river and then sail down the Jersey coast and onward to Norfolk. Wait for your weather window to sail around Hatteras. Once at Charleston, you can take the counsel of fellow contributors regarding yards as long as there are no fixed bridges between the ocean and you destination.

Happy sailing!
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 19:56   #13

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Standing rig is not a minor project. Its a pretty serious undertaking. These blows are getting stronger and stronger as we get deeper into the fall. You need to be absolutely sure the rig will be fine before you go.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 00:07   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

You should have left by now. the weather is going to get worse and worse and colder and colder - the long you delay the worse the trip is going to be - and not sure what you time to Carib is but if the list of work you plan to do is not going to be done by spring you will just be in time to run into hurricane season and your insurance company will just love that.

As for yards - the only one we can recommend is Deltaville Boat Yard in the Cheaspeake but I think that is to far north for you.

AND do not forget that there are a lot of boats in the Fla area and maybe a bit farther north getting repaired from hurricane damage and a lot of the yards are full. You really need to do a lot of work to find one.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 07:51   #15

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

Bennett Brothers Yachts in Wilmington, NC (Al Noble Service Manager) up the Cape Fear or Deaton's (John Deaton) in Oriental. Both know large sailboat rigging and stand behind their work.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, east coast, men