Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 09:46   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Route and waypoint transfer to Garmin 76xx chartplotters

I have an aged Garmin 3205c chartplotter and one of my very favorite things about it is the ease with which I can upload routes and waypoints from my laptop running OpenCPN using the NMEA 0183 connection, set on the chartplotter to be in "Garmin Host Mode."

I am evaluating electronics upgrades. I would like to go with B&G but they seem to have a very closed system with no capability for route uploads from OpenCPN other than sneaker-netting data using an SD card. I'm not a fan of having to pop a card in and out all the time for this. And I've heard discouraging anecdotes about B&G service and support (corroborated by the lackluster response I received from them when I asked about OpenCPN integration), and I've had nothing but good personal experiences when I've needed support from Garmin.

Which leaves me looking closely at the Garmin 76xx series, specifically the 7607xsv.

Since I value the OpenCPN integration very highly, I'd like some confirmation from anyone who is using the GRMN aka "Garmin Host" protocol to upload routes and waypoints from OpenCPN to a recent model Garmin chartplotter, hopefully one of the 76xx series.

My concern is whether the protocol has changed since the days of my trusty 3205c or if there are any gotchas or difficulties getting this to work with the new model Garmin chartplotters. What is your experience? Works great, don't worry about it...or ???

Thanks!
-Pat
patja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 00:19   #2

Re: Route and waypoint transfer to Garmin 76xx chartplotters

Pat ...

I have a Garmin 4010 which is probably using the same protocols as the 76xx. It was not possible to use direct transfer with Garmin Host mode on OpenCPN, running on Windows.

If the routes are exported to GPX it is possible to use either EasyGPS or GpsBabel to upload them to the 4010. With EasyGPS the Garmin 72 option is used for the upload of the GPX. GpsBabel uses the Garmin host mode.

To avoid the export GPX requirement I made the oBabel plugin for OpenCPN. This works with the GPSBabel program installed on your pc.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...plugins:obabel

The plugin is still in Beta and needs testing. Flyspray can be used for this.

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...ct=64&do=index

Bottom line is that direct transfers cannot be made with the 4010 using OpenCPN Garmin host mode. A workaround with another program or plugin is needed.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:45   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post
Pat ...

I have a Garmin 4010 which is probably using the same protocols as the 76xx. It was not possible to use direct transfer with Garmin Host mode on OpenCPN, running on Windows.

If the routes are exported to GPX it is possible to use either EasyGPS or GpsBabel to upload them to the 4010. With EasyGPS the Garmin 72 option is used for the upload of the GPX. GpsBabel uses the Garmin host mode.

To avoid the export GPX requirement I made the oBabel plugin for OpenCPN. This works with the GPSBabel program installed on your pc.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...plugins:obabel

The plugin is still in Beta and needs testing. Flyspray can be used for this.

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...ct=64&do=index

Bottom line is that direct transfers cannot be made with the 4010 using OpenCPN Garmin host mode. A workaround with another program or plugin is needed.

Mike
Sean did some changes long ago that allow certainly the older 128 / 126 to upload WP's using standard NMEA no need to change to Garmin Host.

It will only upload WP's not Route (this is a Garmin restriction). In theory you can only upload 10 wp's but we had it successfully doing at least 20.

No reason this should not work with later Garmins. I have a HH 76 that I will try it out with.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:13   #4

Waypoint transfer is fine but having the entire route upload is a big bonus!

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:21   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

I can't answer your question regarding OpenCPN, but Garmin has a program "HomePort" which is a free download. HomePort allows creating routes and waypoints and uploading them to your plotter with an SD card.

I've been doing this for years.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post

Mike
While that's not exactly what I was hoping to hear, it is encouraging! The fact that your plugin and other software can upload routes with waypoints suggests that it should be possible.

There should be hope that OpenCPN can be updated to do this directly, shouldn't there?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I can't answer your question regarding OpenCPN, but Garmin has a program "HomePort" which is a free download. HomePort allows creating routes and waypoints and uploading them to your plotter with an SD card.

I've been doing this for years.
Do you have to swap SD cards to do this though? I am hoping to just use NMEA0183 configured in Garmin mode to transfer from my laptop at the nav station without cracking the sd card slot open.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:24   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post
Do you have to swap SD cards to do this though? I am hoping to just use NMEA0183 configured in Garmin mode to transfer from my laptop at the nav station without cracking the sd card slot open.
I swap SD cards but it may be possible to do it directly. Honestly, I don't know.

I believe you can put 20 routes onto one card and upload them to the plotter. I think this is specific to the plotter so yours may be different. I have two networked 5208s.
Old 08-11-2017, 15:40   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

If this plotter works with Garmin Homeport, there are ways to transfer, I believe.

Read this
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpnpencpn_user_manual:faq&s[]=homeport#i_would_like_to_send_routes_to_my_gps_vi a_usb_or_via_nmea_serial_connection\

Also you could try the Plugin oBabel
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ugins:obabel&s[]=obabel

This has been discussed extensively before in other threads. Please do a search on "Garmin". This forum has not recently had a significant amount of feedback from those who are successful, or even partially successful, but we know that there has been some success, however that information is not readily available. I suggest that you report back on your success, for the benefit of others.
Thank you.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, garmin, route