Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 05:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good Food, Good Flavor, Good Value, Good Packaging

Ahoy Sailors!

Today I would like to give a review of a product I found that I think is very good for stocking on a boat. I am writing about food in the Philippines, and am a "foodie" so I care about good flavor, texture, and food ingredients.

I have eaten this product and found the product surprisingly good. In fact, it was so good I thought of my friends on CF and so am making this report or review.

See the attached photos for product packages.

This product is an American brand and made in America. I am currently in the Philippines, and found this in a local grocery store. My cost was just Php 14 (14 Philippine pesos) or about USD $.28 (28 cents). After months of eating local foods, I was ready for a taste of something from Texas or America, so this brand caught my eye and so I bought it to try. I am glad I did.

The food comes in good packaging, a thick plastic/foil pouch or packet that looks durable and is non rusting, unlike a can. Tear open, so no can opener needed.

Each container hold a single portion of 100 grams of food. This is enough for a single serving if you eat this product as a "side" or with other foods. If this is intended to be the sole item of a meal, I think two pouches will satisfy most. If you are really hungry try three.

A good thing about this pouch is that it can be placed in hot water to heat the food. The label says to let it sit for one minute in hot water. I found it takes about 3 minutes to heat thoroughly.

Ok, enough about the pouch. What about the flavor and texture?

Hunts Pork BBQ & Beans

The Hunts Pork BBQ & Beans has the best flavor and texture I have ever eaten from any "canned" commercial product! It is outstanding! I say this after having tried many brands of BBQ beans or baked beans or Pork & Beans. My opinion is this is the best I have ever tasted! But why?

I was really surprised at the quality of the food. I lived for years in Texas, and the American Southeast, where BBQ beans are a matter of pride for BBQ cooks. This Hunts product reminded me of some of the best BBQ Beans I have had in famous BBQ joints in Kansas City. The sauce has a definite "smoke" flavor, with a nice mix of sweetness and spice (pepper). So the sauce is very tasty. The real surprise was the amount of flaked meat in the sauce. Yes, there are real bits of pork BBQ in the sauce with these beans. So much meat that it really reminded me of restaurant quality BBQ Beans. I was truly impressed.

I made a meal of two pouches, eaten with a few saltine crackers and a smear of some New Zealand butter (Anchor brand, another sailor favorite). Heated in a pot of hot water. Delicious!

On another occasion I ate two pouches "cold" or simply spooning it from the pouch to mouth. It was still delicious this way too. So, this product would be good for those times when you are on watch and want something to eat that is simple and convenient to have with no preparation or cooking required. In fact, it occurred to me this would fit easily and comfortably in a foul weather coat pocket. And could be eaten without a spoon, after tearing the pouch and simply pouring the contents into mouth. Very simple.

Fat = 3.5 grams per serving (100g)
Protein = 5 grams

Note: this product label says one ingredient is MSG. This is commonly found in processed foods I have seen in th Philippines. Another ingredient is TVP, or Textured Vegetable Protein, but that is lesser amount than real pork meat on the label.

--------

Hunts Chili Beef and Beans

Similar to the review of the product above. See above comments on packaging.

Flavor & Texture?
The texture of this product is more "soupy" or thinner in consistency.
The flavor has a nice "medium" spicyness. Not too hot to leave a burning sensation, just a bit of mouth tingle. But, it is that chile flavor that makes it taste like a good chile sauce or soup.

At first I was a little disappointed in the texture, as I had hoped for a thicker chile for a meal.

Flavor?
is the flavor that makes this worthy of buying and stocking on a boat. Without a doubt, this small package delivers a good robust "chile" flavor that should satisfy most, especially if you are craving some Tex Mex or Western or Mexican flavors in your shipboard diet. Because this has a thinner texture, I recommend eating this served over some rice or canned beans to add some body. I have tried many canned chiles and this one has a very good flavor, much better than some.

I heated two pouches in hot water, poured them into a bowl, ate it up with a piece of bread and a few saltine crackers. Two pouches was a good serving for a man. Three would have filled me up. The sauce was so tasty I cleaned the bowl with the bread. That is a sign of a good sauce flavor.

Fat = 3 g
Protein = 8 g

--------

Good tasting food on a boat is one of the most important things for keeping crew morale high, and it certainly beats the alternative. Having a stock of these pouches aboard is likely to satisfy most crew who want something easy to fix, or something easy to eat. Add some more texture with more beans, some crackers and you have a satisfying inexpensive, easy to store, easy to prepare meal.

I hope you found this review helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	470
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	123893  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Good Food, Good Flavor, Good Value, Good Packaging

The chile
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	123894  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:25   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'll look for these, thanks.

Much as we try to avoid packaged foods, sometimes the convenience overrides considerations of quality and health.

Another good option is Hormel "Completes." About +/- 250g (8.5 to 10 oz) each, no refrigeration required, can heat in the microwave or hot water. I'm partial to the Swedish meatballs when I can find them, but the turkey and dressing isn't a bad option. Around $2 US each in most stores in our area. Avoid the ones with lots of liquid, you're just paying for salt water. I also avoid the pasta dishes, since you can get more of that for less $ with a can of Chef Boy-ar-dee.

A far cry from good, fresh local foods, for sure. And all of these come loaded with salt. Still, I like to have options for when we don't feel like cooking.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:43   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

One of the best things about sailing is losing weight. I get lean and mean because we pretty much eat fresh foods that have not been processed. Cruising is a great way to shift to a healthier diet.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:29   #5

Boat: Oceanis 45

Steady,

Where did you find these for 28 cents each?

Thanks!
Myknjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:01   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Hi all - (Steady - good to hear from you again)

I just went on Amazon and Hunts sites looking for the bean pouch. That particular product not for sale on either site. It could be that it's considered "ethnic" food and they don't sell it here in the West - or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. Guidance anyone?
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Watch for Sodium in these processed foods, I'm not on any kind of diet restriction, but I have to wonder if a lot of salt isn't bad.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:13   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Watch for Sodium in these processed foods, I'm not on any kind of diet restriction, but I have to wonder if a lot of salt isn't bad.
I don't know what the current wisdom is but maybe 10 years ago my doctor said that around half the population is salt sensitive and it makes their blood pressure go up. At the time my blood pressure was borderline bad.

What really helped the blood pressure was retiring.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 13:56   #9

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Kento, your line about retiring and blood pressure relief made me giggle. Ain't that the truth. Corporate America is a serious health and mental risk to their workers...smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 13:57   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Steady, good to hear from you man. Thanks for the information.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 16:51   #11

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Thanks for the recommendations; they look like things I would like.
Also, I can relate to Kentobin's comment, "What really helped the blood pressure was retiring."
Rigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 17:08   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good Food, Good Flavor, Good Value, Good Packaging

Where's the 'Vomit' Smiley..???

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 17:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Another good option is Hormel "Completes."

A far cry from good, fresh local foods, for sure. And all of these come loaded with salt. Still, I like to have options for when we don't feel like cooking.
I've been using these for years. Great backup for when I don't want to really cook.

Barilla makes some: don't bother: pasta is easy enough to do without prepackaging.

There are a couple of other vendors, too. Pot roast is pretty good.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 17:39   #14

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Well, thanks a lot, guys. Now I'm REALLY hungry.

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 18:33   #15

Speaking of eating if you have not tried this product you should, it makes anything better Modern Products Spike® Original Magic Gourmet Natural Seasoning -- 14 oz - Vitacost
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food