Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2014, 10:22   #211

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Beneteau 38

Quite surprised wit the acceptance this boat has in the US Market regarding its look. Almost a year ago when I posted about it on Sailnet the general opinion was not favorable at all. Bob Perry talked about a "bloated tennis shoe look", referring the new Oceanis look. I know the sailnet is a pretty conservative forum but even so I am agreeable surprised: It seems Americans are starting to get used to the looks of solo ocean racers, that are on the base of the new aesthetics (fast is beautiful).

Have a look at what can be looked as a super Oceanis 38, the A44. not only the interior has some similitude but also the hull. Off course, the Oceanis 38 is a Ford Focus and the A44 a Ferrari and the prices are on the same proportion

Interesting Sailboats: THE SEXIEST BOAT AROUND IS ON THE WATER (A44)
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 10:08   #212

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Mstrebe ( in this thread) is a new owner having just purchased the San Diego demo boat. Maybe he's got what you need regarding the symetric.

I have the spinnaker rigging but not the factory spinnaker. I've ordered a Hyde asymmetrical on a Selden top-down furler which complete is only a few hundred more that the factory assym alone.

The boat DEFINITELY needs a downwind sail. The stock main and genny wing-on-wing can't move the wide beam downwind very fast at all.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 17:50   #213

Boat: O38 & J24

Thx M. I've ordered a asymmetric (not code 0) from a local bay area sail maker on your recommendation. It will not be made until the boat arrives in November. They keep pushing me to a sock rather than a top down furling system. I've been told that it snags, is hard to jibe, and that the top down roller needs the distance from the forestay that only a bowsprit can give. Most recent articles seem to point to the rollers so I really don't know what to think.
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 17:57   #214

I'm getting a Selden, which is the best reviewed of the lot. A lot of manufacturers haven't really figured these furlers out so you should ask which brand they are talking about.

I will be mounting on the roller.

Downwind chutes are always a bit painful to manage irrespective. I'm looking for "less pain", not "no pain"

Old 27-10-2014, 18:28   #215

Hello oceanis 38 followers, I am thinking about this boat for great lakes cruising. I haven't had much luck getting out on the water on one. My dealer has 1 boat but was not in water over summer. I will be in fort lauderdale late december thru Jan 5th. Does anyone have a boat they would be willing to show my wife and I ?
Ed Vargo
716-432-8957
aspenripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 19:47   #216

Ed,
Sure. Give me a call 954 520 8058
Will be happy to show you .
Cheers
Homero
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15   #217

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Homero, assuming you got the shoal draft keel, do you feel you will encounter any issues when you go to Bahamas or the Keys? Specs state the shoal is still more than five feet.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 19:29   #218

Hi RK
Her draft is 5"3'. Ideally I would have a swing keel, but that was not available. I will just plan accordingly. My next trips will be exactly to the Keys and then the Bahamas. I will let you know how it will go.
Cheers
Homero
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:37   #219

Our Oceanis 38 "Luna Sea" is going into Charter this week in San Diego at Harbor Sailing Club, slipped at Harbor West Marina.

If you're looking to try out this fantastic boat and you have your ASA certifications, give them a call.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:28   #220

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerobarros View Post
Hi RK

Her draft is 5"3'. Ideally I would have a swing keel, but that was not available. I will just plan accordingly. My next trips will be exactly to the Keys and then the Bahamas. I will let you know how it will go.

Cheers

Homero

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience in skinny waters and the passage in general. For that reason, I am looking hard at the Oceanis 35 (less than 5' shoal draft or a swing keel).
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:16   #221

Thanks for all the useful info here. We are seriously interested in the Oceanis and are flying to the Paris Boat Show next month to view. We are based in Europe so looking to purchase here or in the UK.
Is anyone familiar with the state of the boat market here in Europe? We are wondering how hard we might be able to negotiate on the price.
Also any recommended dealers?
Thanks all.
free4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:30   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4all View Post
Thanks for all the useful info here. We are seriously interested in the Oceanis and are flying to the Paris Boat Show next month to view. We are based in Europe so looking to purchase here or in the UK.
Is anyone familiar with the state of the boat market here in Europe? We are wondering how hard we might be able to negotiate on the price.
Also any recommended dealers?
Thanks all.
It depends on your skill. There will be a special price on the boat show and they will resist to do better than that but you can also say that you are undecided between it and the Dehler 38 (and I don't know if you shouldn't)

Both boats fully equipped cost about the same price. You can say that your wife prefers the Oceanis 38 (and that is probably true) and that you prefer the Dehler and you will only buy the Oceanis if it is significantly cheaper and are undecided. It may work or maybe not if they have already all boats sold and you have to wait some months for one.

I would say that for a new model like the Oceanis 38 a 9% discount is a good discount.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:49   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It depends on your skill. There will be a special price on the boat show and they will resist to do better than that but you can also say that you are undecided between it and the Dehler 38 (and I don't know if you shouldn't)

Both boats fully equipped cost about the same price. You can say that your wife prefers the Oceanis 38 (and that is probably true) and that you prefer the Dehler and you will only buy the Oceanis if it is significantly cheaper and are undecided. It may work or maybe not if they have already all boats sold and you have to wait some months for one.

I would say that for a new model like the Oceanis 38 a 9% discount is a good discount.
Thanks. Not having bought a new boat before I hope my skill is up to it. is the negotiation with Beneteau directly or one of their dealers? I imagine if the latter there could be a certain amount of playong off one against the other...
free4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 13:25   #224

You will work with a dealer. Be advised that the dealers add s lot of extra costs, such as Shipping, prep, Boatyard costs to rig and attach keel, bottom paint, etc. and much of that is negotiable. My boat had about $20K in additional charges beyond MSRP. I was able to negotiate down from $253K to $232K total out the door.

Old 06-11-2014, 15:13   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4all View Post
Thanks. Not having bought a new boat before I hope my skill is up to it. is the negotiation with Beneteau directly or one of their dealers? I imagine if the latter there could be a certain amount of playong off one against the other...
As it was said with a dealer. At Paris you will find on Beneteau stand ,many dealers. if you are British the dealer that will talk to you first will have to very reluctantly send you to the British dealer that will be there for sure. But if you will not sail on UK but on the Med you can say that you don't want a British dealer, but that you prefer a French, Croatian or Greek dealer, a dealer that would be near to your sailing area (if they make a better price) you can ask to talk with several. The dealer that will talk to you first will see there the opportunity to make himself the deal, even not having a full commission. It will depend on the dealer and your luck

Keep us posted

Tags
beneteau