Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 17:48   #1

WARNING, do not crew for this man.

Hello Cruisers,

I am putting out an EXTREME warning to those looking for crewing opportunities on Crewbay.

Avoid crewing for John Williams, who is now using the name John Warren (Farventure) on www.crewbay.com. He is looking for crew to sail from Liverpool, England to Chile and Patagonia. Oceancrewlink blocked him from their website and I'm urging Crewabay to do the same.

I had an unfortunate experience with Williams this past summer. I contacted him through www.oceancrewlink.com in regards to a proposed voyage from Liverpool, England, to Alaska via the Northwest Passage. I corresponded with Williams and arranged several calls. He sounded competent and prepared. I agreed to crew for him based on his years of sailing experience and the preparations he said he was making. I have crewed on a sailboat through the Northwest Passage and have a good idea of the experience, equipment, and type of sailboat needed for such a trip. I boarded John Williams' sailboat on August 8th, 2018. I was shocked by the condition of the boat. I was expecting a sailboat ready for a serious expedition cruise. Instead I found a sailboat still on the hard, absolutely trashed, and that resembled a hoarders nest. Williams presented himself and I immediately recognized him as a man lacking the competency needed to skipper a boat through the Northwest Passage, both mentally and physically. He looked to be homeless. I would not go on a day cruise with this man as a skipper. The boat was in such a poor state that the other crew members, who seemed more like hostelers rather than crew, were urinating and defecating in buckets, and living in such a state that they allowed hornets to build a nest down below. Mr. Williams seemed to be lost in vague ramblings of the innumerable things that yet needed to be completed in a weeks time to make for the NWP. He limped around on a bandaged foot that had an oozing wound which one of the crew said he had for close to ten months. I was so surprised that I needed a moment to collect myself, especially after just taking a red eye from Philadelphia to Manchester, England. I calmly and respectfully began a conversation with Mr. Williams hoping to learn what he planned to do about the state of his sailboat. He became defensive and threatened to throw me off the boat. He claimed I had read too many books about sailing and only had a theoretical comprehension of sailing because I questioned his reliance on an outdated life raft from the 1980's as our main life raft.

I spoke to the the manager of the boat yard in Liverpool in which Williams had his sailboat on the hard. The boat yard manager reported to me that he exhibited rude, erratic, and dangerous behavior. They hated him, in fact.

Williams is a danger to himself and others. I was the fourth crew to come to his boat and in the same day leave right away last summer.

I contacted the authorities in Liverpool to alert them to this possible and mortal disaster.

You have been warned!! Stay clear of this individual and don't bother corresponding with him. All he'll do is waste your time and try to get you to do things for him online.

Mishathekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:17   #2

Re: WARNING, do not crew for this man.

This sounds like the same John Williams whose boat - Faraway - was on the hard in Puerto Natales about 6 months ago....

Surely there can't be two?

As the OP says... avoid!!

A little bit about Chile http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

When in doubt about the boat or crew video chat!

If that becomes an issue, a few current pictures of the boat are always useful.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profileó
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:45   #4

Wow, what a cautionary tale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishathekid View Post
especially after just taking a red eye from Philadelphia to Manchester, England
I take it you ended up out of pocket? Or did you manage to find a better adventure while you were there?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 14:20   #5

There was an extended thread about this chap a few years back... for reasons unknown and without explanation the mods or someone chose to delete - not just close - the entire thread.. German catamaran kidnapped in Indonesia

A lot of women.. and it's always women... have ended up out of pocket.....

A little bit about Chile http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew