Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2016, 18:04   #1
cruiser

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 28 CC
Windless is acting funny

I am trying to install some components on my windless so I can use it. I just got a solenoid and a wireless remote, everything functions as it should independently but when the remote is wired to the same contacts as the solenoid it appears the solenoid is robbing power from the remote unit. The result is the windless turning on and off at the same pace as the solenoids function. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't think the foot switch that was previously installed was wired independently but most of the 12 volt was not complete when I purchased the vessel.
BravoVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 18:22   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Windless is acting funny

I've had the same setup with a home brewed wireless controller and never had an issue so the configuration *should* work ok. Could be a faulty remote unit as one would expect the windlass to turn off and on in relation to the solenoid (did you mean contactor?) operation. However, if the wiring was undersized or there is a bad connection somewhere in the circuit, the initial amperage surge of the windlass motor starting could drop the voltage to the point where it makes either the contactor drop out or the wireless interface spit the beans. Hard to grab a transient voltage drop without a CRO, but attaching a filament light bulb (aka test lamp) to the circuit should provide a visual indication of just how much the voltage is dropping when the windlass kicks in.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun, funny, wind