Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 22:44   #1
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution
39-42ft Catamaran -2009 or later

Hi
We are based in Brisbane, so ideally want a boat that is already in AU, but can pick up in the South Pacific Islands or NZ .

Would ideally like to keep it under the 40ft mark (Lagoon 400 or 400S2 or Leopard 40, or FP ) ,but will consider any cat in good shape and sturdy enough to live aboard for our RTW travels.

Cashed up and ready to buy.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2016, 22:56   #2

Re: 39-42ft Catamaran -2009 or later

If you're an Aussie, why wouldn't you consider a Seawind?
Old 10-08-2016, 23:01   #3
Heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
If you're an Aussie, why wouldn't you consider a Seawind?
We will but I prefer galley up. My post says "any cat in good shape"
Old 17-08-2016, 17:11   #4

Boat: Lagoon 39

What is your price range? Sounds like you intend to be full-time live aboards doing extensive cruising in blue water. The length that you have selected will provide a significantly different ride and feel than a cat of 45'.
Old 17-08-2016, 17:43   #5
Heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
What is your price range? Sounds like you intend to be full-time live aboards doing extensive cruising in blue water. The length that you have selected will provide a significantly different ride and feel than a cat of 45'.
We intend to pick up a boat here in Aus, move onboard and cruise the East coast and out to South Pacific for the two years. This will give us time to settle into our new lifestyle properly and also decide what features and fixtures we actually want in our 'round the world boat' . We will then step up to a bigger and newer (if necessary) boat
Our price range for this first boat is around the $400k mark, depending on age and features
Old 17-08-2016, 18:12   #6

Sounds like a pretty good plan. The two year period should provide you with first-hand knowledge about what systems perform as advertised which don't and costs of various on-board solutions. Speaking and learning from other cruisers as you yourself are cruising is a valuable experience and will pay dividends down the road on your second boat.

My wife and I are full time live-aboard cruisers sailing the Caribbean Sea. This is our first experience in own a boat our current size 38'5". We felt it fit our experience level and space requirements. The boat is 2014 but only used six months before going back on the market. Never been in charter. I say this because it came equipped based on prior owner's decisions. Most we like some we would have done differently, but we obtained a fantastic deal. You may find yourself in a similar situation. We do have on board many of the equipment and cruising creature comforts we sought but not all. We learned that every boat is a compromise to one's needs or desires, you very possible will come to a similar conclusion.

Where you plan to sail in addition to being full-time live aboards should drive your equipment choices. For instance, here in the Caribbean, sun energy is available year round probably 90% of time so solar panel arrays are very popular. Wind generation comes in a distant second and typically used only as supplemental to solar. Not because the Caribbean lacks wind (I assure you it does not) but solar is more reliable, less expensive per kilowatt and nearly no maintenance. A reliable watermaker is another item most full time cruisers if their budgets allow purchase.

Somthing to consider: Lithium batteries are becoming popular with cruisers for a variety of reasons. You can use more of the battery amp hours vs gel or AGMs. Voltage holds constant vs decreasing voltage on other type batteries. Third, a must faster recharge rate than gel or AGMS. They also consume less space. Cruisers are using lithium batteries on their boats to power AC, microwaves and other high voltage appliances including watermakers, and forgoing the generator. Given recent price reductions in lithium batteries, from an all-in cost analysis lithium ends up costing less than a generator/AGM battery power system.
Old 17-08-2016, 18:41   #7
Heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
Sounds like a pretty good plan. The two year period should provide you with first-hand knowledge about what systems perform as advertised which don't and costs of various on-board solutions. Speaking and learning from other cruisers as you yourself are cruising is a valuable experience and will pay dividends down the road on your second boat.

My wife and I are full time live-aboard cruisers sailing the Caribbean Sea. This is our first experience in own a boat our current size 38'5". We felt it fit our experience level and space requirements. The boat is 2014 but only used six months before going back on the market. Never been in charter. I say this because it came equipped based on prior owner's decisions. Most we like some we would have done differently, but we obtained a fantastic deal. You may find yourself in a similar situation. We do have on board many of the equipment and cruising creature comforts we sought but not all. We learned that every boat is a compromise to one's needs or desires, you very possible will come to a similar conclusion.

Where you plan to sail in addition to being full-time live aboards should drive your equipment choices. For instance, here in the Caribbean, sun energy is available year round probably 90% of time so solar panel arrays are very popular. Wind generation comes in a distant second and typically used only as supplemental to solar. Not because the Caribbean lacks wind (I assure you it does not) but solar is more reliable, less expensive per kilowatt and nearly no maintenance. A reliable watermaker is another item most full time cruisers if their budgets allow purchase.

Somthing to consider: Lithium batteries are becoming popular with cruisers for a variety of reasons. You can use more of the battery amp hours vs gel or AGMs. Voltage holds constant vs decreasing voltage on other type batteries. Third, a must faster recharge rate than gel or AGMS. They also consume less space. Cruisers are using lithium batteries on their boats to power AC, microwaves and other high voltage appliances including watermakers, and forgoing the generator. Given recent price reductions in lithium batteries, from an all-in cost analysis lithium ends up costing less than a generator/AGM battery power system.
Great advice -thank you The trouble with buying here is AU is that newish second hand boats don't come up that often and when they do, they are expensive compared to buying in Europe or The Caribbean. Im hoping posting on here may unearth something suitable for us though
Old 17-08-2016, 19:06   #8

Our boat search took us nine months. We learned much during the process and fortunately didn't conduct more than one other survey in addition to the survey on the boat we purchased.

Something we learned along our journey was we could find great deals in other parts of the world other than Southeastern US. When it came to cats its hard to beat opportunities in the Caribbean. We saved approximately $125k on our Lagoon 39. Hardship opportunities are much more common here in the Caribbean. For instance I learned of a 2007 Lagoon 440 in excellent condition and with all the cruising whistles and bells is going on the market later this year due to the couple splitting up. They bought the boat new, put in roughly $500k and the engines have only 900 hours on them. One is from New Zealand and the other is from the U.K. They will probably sell low $300k given their circumstances.

I've run into a couple of owners of Lagoons sailing the Caribbean, who bought their boats in Singapore and felt they received a great deal.
Old 26-08-2016, 18:20   #9
Heg

bumping this post up again. Very keen to buy something soon....
Old 26-08-2016, 21:16   #10

A friend of mine has a Lagoon 400 for sale and it's located in Fiji.

Exodus, a privately-owned/never chartered 2011 Lagoon 400 catamaran, is the perfect boat to start your sailing adventure. She’s cruising ready with all essential gear already installed, tested, and proven.

Boat can be delivered to Australia. (No problem)

https://lagooncatamaran4sale.wordpress.com/

Good luck with your boat hunting.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers

Sailing Forum
Old 27-08-2016, 05:52   #11
Heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood6 View Post

Exodus, a privately-owned/never chartered 2011 Lagoon 400 catamaran, is the perfect boat to start your sailing adventure. She’s cruising ready with all essential gear already installed, tested, and proven.

Gary

Sailing Forum
Thanks Gary. We have looked at the listing many times , but it is ( in our opinion and compared to similar boats that have sold recently ) very overpriced. Especially given the extra 15% in duty and GST that we would have to add on to bring it to Australia. Shame, as it would suit us perfectly
Old 28-08-2016, 13:12   #12

You might consider making Exodus an offer. . . and take delivery off shore. Just an idea. Good luck with your search.

Sailing Forum
Old 28-08-2016, 14:22   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
You might consider making Exodus an offer. . . and take delivery off shore. Just an idea. Good luck with your search.

Sailing Forum
They can take delivery offshore, but they will still have to pay duty (on a french or south african boat) and GST on return and get Australian compliant in a range of other areas. And remember they are talking Aus dollars not US Dollars.

And for less than the price of that Lagoon they could get a new SW1160 exfactory and sail it home
Old 29-08-2016, 05:07   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:

Gary

Sailing Forum

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
Old 29-08-2016, 05:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
They can take delivery offshore, but they will still have to pay duty (on a french or south african boat) and GST on return and get Australian compliant in a range of other areas. And remember they are talking Aus dollars not US Dollars.

And for less than the price of that Lagoon they could get a new SW1160 exfactory and sail it home
Not quite right . The Australian government in its wisdom, have changed the rules AGAIN. Now any boat bought outside of Australia by an Australian will be subject to the import and GST tax on entry to Australia. This includes Australian built vessels, or any vessel, previously imported and tax paid.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Tags
catamaran