Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 05:06   #1

Sailing School in Thailand

Looking for advice on Sailing Schools in Thailand.

I will be heading to Phuket, Thailand in a couple days and have no sailing experience. I have been looking at SailinAsia's 14 day zero to hero course, shown in link.

http://www.sailinasia.com/wp-content...se-Details.pdf

My ultimate goal is to learn enough to buy my own live-aboard vessel and explore the waters around so. east Asia and beyond..

My dream would be to own a Cat, but my budget is under 6 figures..

the school listed above seems to just have a fleet of monos. Would most skills be able to carry over?

I have lots of time on my hands and would be happy to work in exchange for a extended education.

thanks in advance for any advice or ideas!

I'm a 29 year old male, non smoker, American trying to go expat
JoelGSilverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Sailing School in Thailand

Do you work for the school in some capacity? just strange you post a link to a school saying you are considering going there in a few days when you are already in the country?

Peter
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:38   #3

Nope, I have no affiliation with that school. sorry if i shouldn't have added the link.. I got to Thailand about a month ago and i'm making things up as i go..
Old 16-05-2016, 05:55   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Joel, thanks for the explanation. If you learn to sail a mono then sailing a cat is a walk in the park as everything is level and if at any point its not level then you have more things to worry about than sailing.

If you have the funds go and do the course then look at yacht clubs to volunteer to crew other peoples yachts.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 06:00   #5

right on, thanks Pete!
Old 16-05-2016, 07:34   #6

While the basics of sailing is the same for a mono or a multi, there is subtle differences in stuff like how u anchor a twin hull to distribute the anchor load, how u can sense the pressure on the sails (cats don't heel like a monohull, so it is harder to tell if the mast is near breaking), etc. Find a school that can teach u these subtleties.
Yong SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 07:51   #7
Marine Service Provider

That is about right. It is generally easier to learn the basics on a monohull and the differences when you go to a cat are not huge. There are some differences in sail trim and handling under power. It is harder to tell when a catamaran is over powered. It would be helpful to get a little training on catamaran specific techniques if you end up with a cat, but the basics will translate.

Enjoy your adventure!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 08:01   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

There are differences but you definitely can learn to sail on a monohull. Sailing is easy unless you are talking about competitive racing. It's seamanship that is most important. Docks & rocks.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 08:33   #9

Hi

Having a lot of experience in sailing and some in Thailand I will opine.

The best way to learn to sail is to own a small monohull dinghy. Flop around in one of those till you have got your 'bum feeling' for the boat. Then one can go larger.........................they are all the same.

Schools are not my favorite subject, but for $$$$$$ they will guide the novice but the quals are very subjective. Sailing is a pastime that is one of the 'last great freedoms", and schools are self appointed regulators trying to control by the restrictions of one's money supply. In the US there is only one body that qualifies people of the sea and that is the US Coastguard and they don't do much in the recreational sailboat arena. I don't think the Thais would even bother about a sailboat owner skipper having a so called yacht master ticket.

Just get a small dinghy sailboat, learn to handle it and nobody needs a qual Etc.
wugwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 10:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelGSilverman View Post
Looking for advice on Sailing Schools in Thailand.

I will be heading to Phuket, Thailand in a couple days and have no sailing experience. I have been looking at SailinAsia's 14 day zero to hero course, shown in link.

http://www.sailinasia.com/wp-content...se-Details.pdf

My ultimate goal is to learn enough to buy my own live-aboard vessel and explore the waters around so. east Asia and beyond..

My dream would be to own a Cat, but my budget is under 6 figures..

the school listed above seems to just have a fleet of monos. Would most skills be able to carry over?

I have lots of time on my hands and would be happy to work in exchange for a extended education.

thanks in advance for any advice or ideas!

I'm a 29 year old male, non smoker, American trying to go expat
Did you look at Gulf Charters Thailand? It looked like they have catamarans in their fleet.

It sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck finding a cat under 100k.
Kentth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 13:46   #11

I took the course about 9 years ago and it was well done. The downside was no wind for our actual live sailing portion.
zmountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 18:10   #12

Boat: Shah - Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmountainman View Post
I took the course about 9 years ago and it was well done. The downside was no wind for our actual live sailing portion.
Yes, it is the tail end of the dry season, so you won't be sailing, just motoring. If you're lucky, you'll get a thunder storm but then too much wind to sail with! Really if you want to learn to sail, the UK is the best for RYA qualification, but not zero to hero. (imho)

And if you want to learn about cruising, go to Phuket Yacht Haven Marina at lunch time or 5pm happy hour. You'll meet lots of people and doubtless get offered advice and maybe a ride. You could also try Ao Chalong Yacht Club on a Sunday - lunchtime might be best, before they've had too many beers! Sign up for their race programme. Free sea time with people that use the white flappy things.

I think June time is the Phuket Race Week, excellent fun and great sailing. Great for contacts and real sailing in the start of the wet season.

And you'll be heading to Langkawi to buy the boat. Lots around, but look slowly and talk to lots of people. No need to hurry. You can get a lot of sea miles in before committing. The previous owner is often an important factor! Best way to find a boat and meet people there is to walk the docks at RLYC and Telaga Marinas. Don't always believe the talk from the guy sat at the bar.

Good luck. Andy

(I used to work as a Yacht master Instructor in Phuket, and have now been cruising for 14 years. You can PM me if you want specific contacts.)
andyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 02:36   #13

Awesome thanks for all the replies and solid advice!

I found a couple other schools i'm also interested in, that have multi-hulls as well. will try and update with how my experience is going

cheers to everyone for their time and information
Old 24-09-2016, 16:20   #14

Boat: Slocum 43

Hi Joel,

Just wondering how you got on with a sailing school around Thailand as I am considering something similar.
the dude abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 20:10   #15

how did it go?
oriettaxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, sailing school, school, Thailand