Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 07:46   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Are my anchors obsolete? CQR 60 Lbs, Delta 55 Lbs, Bruce 20 kg

Dear folks,

I had my anchors galvanized and got interested in the anchor topic. Spent the last few days reading this and that about anchors and a creeping feeling that my anchors are obsolete has started to bother me.

I would really like a Rocna 33kg but I can't afford it now... Then I learned how Rocna has bashed other manufacturers and saw a few videos by Rocna on Youtube about other anchors just dragging on their sides on the beach and never setting... sigh.

I didn't want to post this to get comments about Rocna, Manson Supreme, Bugel Wasi or the likes, but rather about my current anchors.
Are they truly so bad as what I seem to have read and viewed during the last few days??

I know the new generation ones are good (especially with fast setting), so please don't repeat that to me.. Rather I'm wondering if I have fallen pray to marketing propaganda and if I can I still survive at all with my old gear? Are they ok or garbage?

Yes, if I was feeling rich I would get a new Rocna or similar. (There are many other threads about Rocna, Manson Supreme, Bugel/Wasi etc, I dont mean to add yet anofher one, please...)

What I would be happy is if I could regain the confidence to my gear. They are all original genuine stuff. My genuine CQR 60 Lbs appears to be about 2 sizes oversized for my boat. Same with my qenuine Delta 55 Lbs/25kg. My qenuine Bruce 20 kg appears to be "neutral" (undersized in my books... )
I kept repeating "genuine" because apparently some copies do not perform as well as genuine originals. Or so I have heard. But then again I have seen tests and reviews bashing the good old CQR and others, so I don't know what to believe anymore. What I did notice is that the 60Lbs CQR retails at about close fo 1K USD. Not cheap in my books. But yes, not a measure of performance either? (does "you get what you pay for" apply here? lol)

Boat is a 1989 Beneteau Oceanis 430 (43feet), empty weight about 20'000 pounds/9000kg, add some for accumulated gear n stuff..

Ideally I would like to feel confident about long term anchoring in Thailand and Malaysia waters, on mud and sand bottoms, with tide changes and a tropical thunderstorm passing by. So, what say you? Thou shall I must have a new anchor?? Or am I just fine..? (or don't leave the marina? lol)

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160401_185618.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	121836  
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:59   #2

Re: Are my anchors obsolete? CQR 60 Lbs, Delta 55 Lbs, Bruce 20 kg

Personally I would retire the CQR . The Delta is OK but not great and the Bruce if oversized is still a good anchor in my opinion. You are right that sailors have used these older designs for years and have gotten by and you could to. when the winds suddenly increase in the night and you swing 180 degrees it's good to know that you have the best anchor available and it's a small price to pay for both piece of mind and the reality of ending up on the rocks.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Are my anchors obsolete? CQR 60 Lbs, Delta 55 Lbs, Bruce 20 kg
Do they work for you in the places you anchor?
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are my anchors obsolete? CQR 60 Lbs, Delta 55 Lbs, Bruce 20 kg

I'll get my 0.000001cent in before the Trendies chirp up..
If they've been serving you well to date they'll serve you well in the future.. especially in the bottoms you've described.. biggrin:

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:16   #5

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Marketing !!! I have used and continue to use danforth and CQR. I survived Louis in St Marteen when over 1000 boats were lost, Ivan in Grenada and quite a few other blows. Maybe newer anchors might set faster but my Dafirth has held many boats in a Chesapeake raftup in 2-3 knot tidal stream. If its not broke dont try to fix it
Old 01-04-2016, 08:16   #6

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

If you are in an area where the CQR sets well so you don't have to work for an hour to have confidence that it will hold and it will hold your boat in serious storm conditions stick with what you have. But if you up grade to a new generation anchor you will be glad you did.

My boat came with a genuine CQR and I used it for several years. Sometimes getting it to set was irritating but once set it did OK. When I got to the Chesapeake and its' soft mud it was not able to do the job. I replaced it with a Manson Supreme and have not had an issue with setting or dragging since.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:22   #7

Eric, you are asking to start World War 3 with your question. I dont doubt that there are as many good modern anchors as people have money for, but your selection should keep you safe with a decent margin. I can only give you my experience with CQRs. My last boat was 30,000lbs and when I bought it, came with a 45lb imitation plow. That POS drug all over the place. I already had about a thousand nights at anchor, Mexico and the South Pacific, mostly using CQRs so I was not a newbie. As soon as I could I picked up a used 60lb genuine CQR and in 8 years of cruising the Caribbean never drug again. Your 20,000lb boat should do just fine with a 60. You dont say if you have all chain or a combo rode. I much prefer all chain but there are good points for both. Be prepared to hear a barrage of different opinions, many from people who have never left the dock. The only thing worse would be if you asked about guns on board. Brush up on your anchoring techniques and dont worry. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:38   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

ErikFinn, the very best information I've found about anchors is from Noelex's Underwater Photos of Anchors Setting, and Panope's Videos of Anchors Setting.

I don't know your location. Do you have the option of selling your anchors to recover some of the cost of a new anchor? That is what I would do.

If not, and since you have apparently been using your current anchoring gear successfully, I would continue doing so with great attention to being sure the set is secure and the scope is adequate for the anchor you are using.

I got rid of my CQR and Delta. I still have my Bruce but I don't know why since I don't use it.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:58   #9

The Delta and CQR anchors are PLOW anchors.

They are GREAT for farming
a field, as they are made to be dragged through the dirt with little effort and push it to the sides.

Keep them if:
1) You enjoy night watches in heavy wind or current.
2) Plan on going to lots of docks.
3) Taking lots of moorings
4) Only fender up to other boats with better anchors
5) Only dropping it for lunch in no wind or current
6) You want a clean anchor every time it comes out of the water. They self clean as they drag. Good for the anchor, but kinda sucks for the captain
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:09   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTie View Post
...They are GREAT for farming a field, as they are made to be dragged through the dirt with little effort and push it to the sides.
Said by someone who has clearly never operated a farm plow.
  1. They do not move easily
  2. If the operator doesn't lean back on the handle they will quickly dig their nose toward China

Farm plows (the old-style moldboard plows after which the anchors are designed) require the farmer to be behind the plow, pushing down on the handles to keep the nose up while the horse pulls. This is not easy and takes significant effort. If you stop working/stop paying attention the plow will quickly nose down and bury itself deeply in the field. Same with a plow anchor.

New shapes and research may set faster, hold better, etc., but there are reasons plow anchors got designed that way, and properly designed they are quite effective.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:15   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are my anchors obsolete? CQR 60 Lbs, Delta 55 Lbs, Bruce 20 kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTie View Post
The Delta and CQR anchors are PLOW anchors.

They are GREAT for farming
a field, as they are made to be dragged through the dirt with little effort and push it to the sides.

Keep them if:
1) You enjoy night watches in heavy wind or current.
2) Plan on going to lots of docks.
3) Taking lots of moorings
4) Only fender up to other boats with better anchors
5) Only dropping it for lunch in no wind or current
6) You want a clean anchor every time it comes out of the water. They self clean as they drag. Good for the anchor, but kinda sucks for the captain
Which anchor.. and how expensive are you seeking to justify..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:20   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

The new ones are easier to use for sure. I think if you are happy with your old ones and they have served you well, no reason to immediately throw them overboard
Old 01-04-2016, 09:33   #13

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

<------------ First, see, I want a B430! Just haven't found the right one at the right price, but it is THE boat I want!

The CQR will never be obsolete.

My delta typically has to be powered out of mud, so no complaint with it.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Which anchor.. and how expensive are you seeking to justify..
That only leaves the OP with a BRUCE.
I will not comment on that one......................................

OK, I can't help myself.
If I had the BRUCE I would move back on land.
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:44   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I of course use a somewhat oversized bruce clone for anchoring. It has yet to fail me, even in 40-50 knots winds.

If your not dragging the anchor is fine. I do agree a 20KG bruce on the OP's boat is a bit undersized. I'd have a 40kg for a 41 foot boat.

Just remember in 10 years the Masons, Rocna's will be the old anchors...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, cqr, delta