Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 06:17   #1

Boat: Hylas 44
Lee Sails

I'm considering buy a new main from Lee Sails. The appear to have a good price and our using Challenge cloth made in USA. Anyone bought a sail from the lately that could offer and opinion. All the local shops around here are charging considerably more.

SailingNordicSun.com
NordicSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:19   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Lee Sails

A new sail is an investment as opposed to a maintenance item. Quality and performance are the hallmark of a premium sail and add enormously to the sailing experience. My suggestion would be to find the loft with best quality and performance history and decide when you can afford the investment.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 14:38   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
A new sail is an investment as opposed to a maintenance item. Quality and performance are the hallmark of a premium sail and add enormously to the sailing experience. My suggestion would be to find the loft with best quality and performance history and decide when you can afford the investment.
Completely agree with this, and will offer a few comments, in no particular order. They cover the period from about Sept., 1978 through to 3 yrs. ago, and cover a Yankee 30, a Palmer Johnson Standfast 36, and our present boat, a 46 ft. Jon Sayer one off we purchased, used, in 2003. We think ourselves frugal. What Jim's philosophy about this is that he wants to get a sail that is finished nicely, that the sailmaker is on hand to make alterations when necessary, and we want it to give us a long service life, because we really do care about sail trim. We bought the kind of boats that appeal to us, and we are by choice passage making, long term international cruisers. We need the sailmakers knowledge of what the various sailcloths offer, and do not. And we've found that some will tailor a sail to your exact requirements. We've used small local lofts, because they will stand by their products, and they come to you. It has not always been successful, but I know I would feel really fretful waiting for the sail to arrive, and then if the main didn't fit, waiting for the to and fro shipping halfway 'round the world, the sails customs charges accruing, etc. --tightly controlled fury is what I would feel, at best. As time passed, we went to triradially cut genoas and mains, and that increases service life time (especially with plied leaches) as well as increased fees (lots more labor). Sometimes there are ways the little guys can save you money on cloth. and if they, themselves are racers, they will be very attuned to the needs of a former racing sailor, like Jim. Working with them you learn about the qualities of the various cloths, they have local knowledge to combine with your telling them how you sail the boat, and can help you get clear on what cloths to use,and why, and I've enjoyed the process.

I am not interested in Lee Sails because they don't last very well (doesn't matter if you don't expect your boat to be "fun to sail": it's not a factor for every investor), and I do want the sail to come out and have the maker come to fix it if there's a problem , say, with the hoist, or chafe patches location. I want to be able to rendezvous easily have him take it home and make it right, and bring it back in a week. Medium grade dacron is unlikely to offer long term quality trim, it will get all "blown out", all stretched. The local guy with the best rep is who I would talk to first. There are some things in life where it's easy to cheap out, 'cause the frugal gene is really strong, but it's a little like doctors--if I need a neurosurgeon, I want the Honors Graduate, not the one who finished last in his or her class. I want a sail I can afford that will give me the most years of service pleasure.

The local guy will know what conditions to expect your sails to endure. As you have not mentioned the sail's service area, nor the boat type and size, I can't help any more. You must decide whether you care enough to pay more dollars, and if you don't want to spend a lot, why should you?

There's another thread in the Archives where Tom from Totem wrote at length about Lee sails, and you can probably find that thread via the CF Custom Google Search, in the Search Menu, about 5 down.

Ann
Old 14-02-2019, 16:48   #4

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Two years ago I purchased a new loose footed main from Lee sails. I'm very happy with it. So happy that I then purchased a new head sail. Again very happy with how the boat preformed, so I purchased a cruising spinnaker.
Ask me in five years and I will give an update.
I went into this wondering if I made a mistake by not buying from North or Banks sails!
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 18:16   #5

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

+1 for the little local guy, When I had a boat with sails I bought new ones from my local sailmaker, a guy who owns his own business, works with his wife. Came to me measured up, invited me to dinner at his home, made the sail, in a couple of weeks, then came for a sail with me 2 or 3 times, taking the sail (and another that he had not made) home for some alterations. How much did it cost? can't remember; but I will remember the service etc for a long time. He is now my "stitching person" and does all my covers, cushions etc.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 03:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicSun View Post
I'm considering buy a new main from Lee Sails. The appear to have a good price and our using Challenge cloth made in USA. Anyone bought a sail from the lately that could offer and opinion. All the local shops around here are charging considerably more.

SailingNordicSun.com
Lee built their reputation on using dacron from Teijin, it was soft and stretchy but lasted extremely well. Now they use Challenge which is mostly now made in Thailand by the way, not the USA.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 14:29   #7

Boat: Hylas 44

All good comments. Yes the local guys is preferred here as well. My boat will be going offshore, is a hylas 44, and I am on a frugal budget. Check out my website if you want more info on the boat www.sailingnordicsun.com.

That being said the conditions locally that a local loft might know about are a consideration. But I want a sail maker that understand offshore sails and be knowledgeable what it takes to make a good offshore sail that will last a long time.

I've already rules out Lee sails because they don't offer the sail material I am thinking about, which is Challenge Marblehead. Any comments on this material?

What about lofts that understand offshore sails that don't break the bank when you order a sail.

Appreciate your advise so for. All good.

As well as I have got lots of quotes, east coast and west coast, local and oversees. A very informative process.

Now I'm just looking for a sailmaker that has a good reputation for making offshore sails and a price that fits into my budget. One that will work with me, and understand my needs and budget.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide to make sure I make a decision I'll be happy with.

Nordics Sun
www.SailingNordicSun.com
NordicSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 16:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

We used to use Marblehead quite a lot as its a tightly woven dacron with good performance at a reasonable price. But more recently went away from it due to very poor UV test results and seeing a few sails fail in real life here in the tropics. Can't say it was always like this but the yarns Challenge are using now seem more susceptible to UV than other cloth makers. If not going to the tropics it is probably a good option. On the Challenge website Fastnet is what they market as their "Premium Offshore Cruising fabric".

We've made Hylas 44 sails before, if you need a quote or recommendation please visit below:
www.zoomsails.com
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails