Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2008, 00:38   #1

Boat: Ovni 445
Getting a FastCat Ready for Action

Hi all,

I know there has been a lot of interest in the FastCats and as a new buyer of the first second hand FastCat to hit the market, I'll post some of my thoughts and observations here. Feel free to ask any question you might have.

I bought Hull #1 African Innovation which was up till the moment I bought it Gideon's boat. He posts frequently on this forum, so most of you have probably encountered him already.

To make a long story short, I had a thread named: Characteristics of a circumnavigating cat There I asked lot's of questions and received so much helpful input that I was almost overwhelmed. The core of my thread was a list of features that I set up, which I was looking for in my "ideal" boat. The cat that by far came closest to fulfilling my list was the FastCat, but it was way out of my budget range. I still decided to go and look at them, when I was in Amsterdam by chance at the beginning of May. It was love at first sight. Two weeks later I returned for a test-sail and the deal was done. It's important to remember that since I'm buying a used FastCat and not a brand new one, I got her cheaper. Not a lot, because it still blew my budget to smitherines, but I felt it was worth it. I'm also planning to stay an extra year in Norway getting her ready and that gives me time to build up more of a cruising kitty. I simply couldn't walk away from her.

I came to Amsterdam 3 days ago, so about a month after the test-sail. The only thing missing now before I formally take posession of the boat is a successful survey. We were supposed to do it yesterady, but due to Force 8 winds the travel-lift was unable to work for safety reasons. So the survey has been postponed a week.

You get a good feel for a boat when you live on her. Cleaning her from top to bottom also reveals a lot of questions and things that you didn't see when you were looking or test-sailing. I can really recommend it ... of course who wants to clean a boat, that they might not buy, from top to bottom? but I say it's well invested time. Anyways, the cleaning I've done has only revealed minor things: a small leak due to wear and tear on a seal. Dirty clogging some drains, so things overflow. To be honest it's been very minor stuff so far, so I'm proceeding into the survey with a lot of confidence. I'm so confident in fact that I'm contemplating canceling the whole survey.

So like I said now I'm spending my time cleaning up the boat to truly make her shine again. On some boats it takes weeks, months or years to make a boat shine, I'm guesstimating that by the time we do the survey she should be looking very good.

With the cleaning done, I'm going to start installing stuff. 2 new solar panels, solar chargers, extra batteries, a new wind generator, and a whole bunch of other things that needs to be replaced, fixed or upgraded.

It's a fun process, because I'm getting to know the boat inside out. I'm not in a rush, so I can take my time and do this properly, while living on the boat.

I realize that this post is more of a blog, so I'll probably move it to my blog unless I get questions from people on the forum and then reserve the forum for questions, comments or findings I do while getting African Innovation ready for action.
Old 20-06-2008, 01:58   #2

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Andreas, enjoy your work.
However, I would not skip the survey, not because I do not trust Gideon or the FASTCAT. But every survey I had done, I learned from that. If you have a good surveyor!!
I wish, I had the chance to do that in your age!
But, on the other hand, what would I do then when I am retired and had done "the dream" already!?

Regards

Ralph
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 02:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I would not skip the survey, not because I do not trust Gideon or the FASTCAT. But every survey I had done, I learned from that. If you have a good surveyor!!
Hi Ralph. Good point and I was only half joking. I think it'll be worth it in the long run. I definitely view it as a good learning potential, assuming that he doesn't find somthing horrible, which I deem very unlikely.

Quote:
What would I do then when I am retired and had done "the dream" already!?
Luckily I have so many dreams and plans that I'm worried if I don't start now, I'll never get around to all of them
Old 20-06-2008, 02:19   #4

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Also drifting off quite a bit, it is interesting to see individual "dreams" of sailors.
For me:

- a damned good woman
- being a pilot
- sail around the world
- a boat I really love

I am missing just one!

Sorry, for drifting off the thread (moderators be good)
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 04:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Congratulations Andreas, on your new (to you) baby!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 04:52   #6

Quote:
Also drifting off quite a bit, it is interesting to see individual "dreams" of sailors.
For me:
- a damned good woman
- being a pilot
- sail around the world
- a boat I really love
I am missing just one!
I'll drift off topic with you.
I have tons of dreams that I plan to bring to life within the next 10-15 years:
- Find a fantastic girlfriend (A work in progress)
- Fly an airplane (This is a more long term plan)
- Climb a 8000+ meter (26,250m+) mountain (I have my eyes set on Cho Oyo)
- Sail around the World (A work in progress now)
- Spread awareness about the environment (Will hold lectures as I sail around the World).
- Go to Antartica (hopefully under sail)
- Ski across Greenland

I have my work cut out for myself ... I'm happy because, without dreams, I wouldn't have that much to strive for.
Old 20-06-2008, 04:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Congratulations Andreas, on your new (to you) baby!
Thanks Gord. I'm in 7th Heaven
Old 20-06-2008, 04:54   #8

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Good going Andreas!

May I suggest that you also get the boat weighed when lifteing her out for the survey.

Empty the water tanks, and find out how much fuel there is onboard, then you get a real feeling for what she weighs, before you fill her up with all the stuff we cruisers carry around with us.

I hope you have found a good multihull surveyor, you could also get the guy from Evecom to come take a look, he has vast multihull experience and is also a nice guy....

If you stop in Denmark on your way home, let me know, I would love to come take a closer look.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 05:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
May I suggest that you also get the boat weighed when lifteing her out for the survey.
Hi Alan. Good idea. It's definitely a point to have on my list.

Quote:
I hope you have found a good multihull surveyor, you could also get the guy from Evecom to come take a look, he has vast multihull experience and is also a nice guy...
I have one that I think is very good. He should be for the price I'm paying him I might still send an email to the guy at Evecom, just in case he's "in the neigborhood".

Quote:
If you stop in Denmark on your way home, let me know, I would love to come take a closer look.
From the looks of it now I'll shoot straight back to Norway from Ijmuiden, but if the plan changes, I'll definitely let you know.
Old 20-06-2008, 05:44   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
. Cleaning her from top to bottom also reveals a lot of questions and things that you didn't see when you were looking or test-sailing. I can really recommend it ... of course who wants to clean a boat, that they might not buy, from top to bottom?
It is a great way to know a new boat LOLOL

Congratulations

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 10:37   #11

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Congratulations

Andreas

Congrats on the new boat and a good choice. It might seem like a very expensive purchase now but in a few years time your experiences will be priceless.
I'm sure Gideon will look after you well. In my dealings with him he has been nothing but genuine and very helpful even after I didn't actually buy a Fastcat.
Best of luck and fairwinds.
Regards
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 12:10   #12

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I'd second your recommendation on cleaning the boat, great tip. Were I buying from Gideon I'd probably just by it sight on seen. I'm serious actually, I'd probably just buy it. But any other boat I'd get a good diesel mechanic to go over the engines, compression checks, the works, and a good rigger to go over the standing rigging. I've found the all in one surveyors a bit of a disappointment in what they haven't found in boats before (clogged heat exchangers, fractures in the high stress points of the mast). None of which applies to you. You got a great boat.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 13:07   #13

Boat: Privilege 37

Hi

Congratulations on your purchase. I wish you all the joy.

Where will you berth in Stavanger? I have been looking at marina waiting lists, and they are not nice!

If you ever need a crew once you have got back here . . . . . . .
Old 21-06-2008, 00:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Where will you berth in Stavanger? I have been looking at marina waiting lists, and they are not nice!
I know it's crazy. It used to be up to 10 years of waiting for a berth before they added a few thousand berths a few years back. It doesn't make it easier that I'm 7,48m wide, but luckily my dad has a property by the sea on Sokn, where it's well protected from the sea and I can either use the dock or hang on a mooring buoy. I need to sort out the mooring in the next few weeks, because that would be my favourite as the pier is a concrete monstrosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
If you ever need a crew once you have got back here . . . . . . .
I'll definitely let you know, any cat-man or ex-cat man will always be very welcome onboard I'll be back mid-July, so anytime after then, if you feel the seas calling let me know.
Old 21-06-2008, 12:10   #15

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
if you feel the seas calling let me know.
The seas are always calling

I will be back in Stavanger at the end of July -- Going to do a Yachtmaster in the last week and then somewhat at a loose end for first week in August. If all else failed, I had planned to get on my bike and go north east for 3 days, and then come back by a different route

Tags
fastcat