Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2020, 09:21   #1

Soundings Article on abandonment of sailboat in Atlantic

Is anyone else as puzzled as I am about the online article from Soundings Magazine today about the abandonment of what appears to be an otherwise seaworthy sailboat in moderate conditions in the Atlantic because the engine was malfunctioning? Am I missing something?
On the rode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 10:14   #2

Re: Soundings Article on abandonment of sailboat in Atlantic

Bad weather, issue with propulsion and steering control, motor not working and "partial rudder". Fatigue also a factor.

Reference: Riječki kapetan spasio četvero jedriličara i psića na olujnom sjevernom Atlantiku / Novi list

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/l...oatian-sailors

Novi List writes that the MV Sunda ship, commanded by Rijeka captain Ivan Versic, rescued a family and skipper from a storm in the middle of the Atlantic last week. Specifically, Captain Versic, two other Croatian sailors, and a Filipino crew were involved in the rescue. The action concerning the first deck officer Ivan Moro from Sinj and the second deck officer Sasa Katavic from Kastela was carried out on January 10th. MV Sunda was informed that a sailboat with four crew members and a small dog was stranded due to an engine malfunction.

The rescue operation took place on January 10, when MV Sunda was informed that an 11.4-meter long boat with four crew members and a small dog was being floated by the French Bulldog due to loss of propulsion and partly rudder. The yacht was carried by strong east winds of strength 6 to 7 and the waves were four meters high.

We made contact through VHF radio and found out that everything was fine with the crew, only they were tired.
We agreed to delay the rescue for the next morning due to inclement weather and nightfall. Shortly after that, we made the first visual contact with the boat, and we were nearby all night in case of an emergency, explained Captain Versic.

The next morning, due to bad weather, the crew was forced to interrupt the rescue operation five times, but consistently looked for the most suitable course to get closer to the sailboat in the safest possible way. The waves were four meters high.

We managed to stop close enough to the boat to give them a 'Line Throwing App' and slowly, around 15.05, they made it next to us. We managed to keep the boat there for ten minutes until the crew was moved to our ship, said Captain Versic of the rescue mission.

Our Good Captain Ivan Versic, with his officers and crew members of M/V Sunda, recovered from the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, a skipper along with a family of four members due to engine malfunction of their sailing boat. Congratulations to all our crew members for this successful, safe, and rescue operation! said the Seastar team in a Facebook post.

Perhaps they had been listening to and singing along with India Arie's song titled Rollercoaster, a snipet of her lyrics copied below.

Let me off this roller coaster
I don't wanna ride no more (I don't wanna ride no more)
I don't wanna ride no more, I don't wanna ride no more, no more
Let me off this roller coaster

I don't wanna ride no more (I don't wanna ride no more)
I don't wanna ride no more, I don't wanna ride no more, no more
'Round and 'round and up and down
Yeah, it's making me nauseous
Let you take me on this ride
I've got to be more cautious
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 10:42   #3

Thank you. That does make it more understandable. The article I saw made no mention of any rudder problems and the sea state shown in the rescue picture appeared pretty benign. Guess you had to be there.
On the rode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 10:58   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Another thread on the forum with 50+replies

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ic-229376.html
Old 23-01-2020, 12:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the rode View Post
Thank you. That does make it more understandable. The article I saw made no mention of any rudder problems and the sea state shown in the rescue picture appeared pretty benign. Guess you had to be there.
When you had enough, you've had enough. When safety of passage has arrived and awaits, it likely becomes very easy to make a decision to abandon a boat and to go aboard a much safer experience.

The skipper [presumably the owner] joined the family and bulldog in transfering to the cargo vessel. As much as one may have an affinity for a boat, at the end of the day, it is just a boat, no big loss in the scheme of things; there be lots more where that one came from, if one remains game for returning to the open sea.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 09:54   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I would have to wonder about the hired captions capability at sea and examining the boat before hand. Sounds like a totally ill fated endeavor. The only good thing is no lives here lost.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 10:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Soundings Article on abandonment of sailboat in Atlantic

Wonder if it was a Hanse..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 11:43   #8

Boat: Island Packet 31

I also wonder whether something got a bit lost in translation. Perhaps if "exhausted" were substituted for "tired" the whole scenario might make more sense. Still . . .
CDR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 13:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Wonder if it was a Hanse..
That's a very valid question, Boatman 61. I should know, I bought one new and had it for 4 years.
PeroniPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 14:06   #10

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The skipper [presumably the owner] joined the family and bulldog in transfering to the cargo vessel...
According to info provided in the other thread on this topic, the skipper was hired for the passage.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 15:14   #11

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

This makes me wonder why they didnt put up the sails and use a drogue.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ue-122403.html

Youtube video of it:
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 18:18   #12

I remember riding big waves up and down for hours and it was horrendous. Going up the wave was ok , but coming down was like a roller coaster that gave your stomach a thrill for a while, But after the thrill of butterflies when you fall down each and every wave is over, Then the knots being tied in your stomach become unbearable and beyond painful you just say enough is enough.So what do you do when you can't take it anymore and there is no way out ?
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 22:03   #13
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

great video on the drogue steering.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, sail, sailboat