Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 19:32   #1

New Cruisers Need Mooring options in RI

We have been out of sailing for 7 years since we sold our sailboat, a Beneteau 40 which we sailed out of Mystic, CT. We did so because we felt sailing was taking up too much time away from our growing business, a software company. The only way we could deal with giving up our boat and sailing was to promise ourselves that we would get back into sailing and buy a bigger boat after we grew the business and sold it. It's taking us longer than we thought. A sale is not on the horizon yet but we have hatched a plan to buy a 45' boat and keep it in New England and live aboard and sail for two weeks a month from June thru September. We'd like member suggestions for where we could moor our boat for the two weeks each month when we would fly back to our office in FL. When in New England we would like to sail to different ports in RI, CT and NY for two weeks each month. We do not want a slip in one port as we want to travel around and we'd like to register the boat in RI also to avoid sales tax on the purchase. Since we have been out of sailing for a while we don't know how things may have changed in New England. Any ideas on how we might accomplish our goal would be appreciated.
sailingmonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 19:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: New Cruisers Need Mooring options in RI

Not clear but are you looking for a mooring or a dock in a marina for when you leave your boat? Lots of options for both but docks are harder to find in most locations and much more expensive.

I've kept my boat in RI on a mooring in Bristol, anchored for a month on the Connecticut River and on a mooring in Martha's Vineyard. When I checked dock spaces for a 42' sailboat rates for transients IE not signing a seasonal contract were over $100 day. double and triple that in some places.

I also have a house in FL and commute back and forth a lot. TF Green airport (Providence RI) is one of the more convenient and has direct flights to most major FL cities. Lots of harbors, marinas and moorings all around Narragansett Bay. Farther south down Long Island Sound you have a lot of options as well. I understand a lot of visitor moorings have opened up on the CT River. Port Washington NY is a great stop and has reasonable connections the city and the three airports there.

Boston is the last place that has good air connections to FL. Plenty of places to dock around Cape Cod and north but again, going to be expensive on a short term basis.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Monika.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, I was working in CT and lived in RI but still had my primary residence in FL when I bought my boat. Kept it in New England as a second residence until I left the job in CT. Registered in RI and didn't have to pay the FL sales tax. Just make sure you document your purchase and use of the boat in RI in case FL ever asks.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:55   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I've mentioned it before on the forum but I'm looking to buy a small or medium size business currently. There is a chance I could help you out for your situation. Sent a PM.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:20   #6

Thanks for the reply and info. Our idea is to rent a seasonal mooring and keep our boat there for two weeks per month when we are not up there. It be important to us to have the mooring in a place that is easy to sail to other places to. When we had our boat we spent most weekends in Block Island. We have continued to spend 10 days to 2 weeks renting an apartment there each summer after we sold our boat. We'd probably want to spend a week or two in the summer in July and August while cruising. So I'd love to know your thoughts a about where we could moor our boat in that general area. I'm assuming that in order to get the sales tax benefit we would need to register in RI, have a seasonal mooring and then do storage in RI as well?
We have free companion fares with Southwest so we probably would want to see where we could use that airline. Our business is in Tampa.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:23   #7

We have a software company that offers middleware that enables organizations to integrate disparate systems. Our main clients are in Insurance and Healthcare. I would not suggest buying a business like ours unless you have experience in software and B2B sales in those industries. It is a complex business. Happy to give more info if you are interested.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:41   #8

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I second Skipmac's suggestion of Bristol. It is very easy to get to from Providence and if you take the city bus, it is only $2 U.S. and runs at least once an hour. It is also great sailing in the area and you can quickly get to other areas. If you catch the tidal currents correctly, you can zip down the Sakonnet River to Buzzards Bay and through the canal into Cape Cod Bay. If you go south past Aquidneck Island and Newport you can get to Block Island and Long Island Sound quickly. Good luck with your hunt.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:14   #9

Boat: Pearson 34

You might want to try the Tiverton Yacht Club, Standish Marina or Pirate's Cove all in the "Tiverton Pool" with ready access down the Sakonnet River to open sea and perhaps more reasonable cost than Bristol.
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:45   #10

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

The only problem I see with the suggestions of Bristol and less so Tiverton is that they are very far up Narragansett. So if you want to sail on Buzzard's Bay and Long Island Sound I would take something closer to the coast. I've always liked Dutch Harbor and Point Judith. I haven't looked up costs or availability but it would work better to drive there from Providence than have to sail down Narragansett Bay or the Sakonnet to reach the coast. I used to keep my boat in Mt. Hope Bay and moved to New Bedford specifically to sail along the coast without several hours beating south to get there.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:48   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
The only problem I see with the suggestions of Bristol and less so Tiverton is that they are very far up Narragansett. So if you want to sail on Buzzard's Bay and Long Island Sound I would take something closer to the coast. I've always liked Dutch Harbor and Point Judith. I haven't looked up costs or availability but it would work better to drive there from Providence than have to sail down Narragansett Bay or the Sakonnet to reach the coast. I used to keep my boat in Mt. Hope Bay and moved to New Bedford specifically to sail along the coast without several hours beating south to get there.

They are farther up the bay but also when I was searching moorings in general the farther up the bay the cheaper it was. Didn't check point Judith which is of course right there at the ocean.
Old 02-01-2020, 14:21   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonika View Post
We have a software company that offers middleware that enables organizations to integrate disparate systems. Our main clients are in Insurance and Healthcare. I would not suggest buying a business like ours unless you have experience in software and B2B sales in those industries. It is a complex business. Happy to give more info if you are interested.
I have run a B2B software business for many years in the past.

Please check your private messages here. I have sent one.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 14:22   #13

Boat: Catalina 425

Mystic River just past Ram Island has a large mooring field. I see empty moorings there frequently.you might check with Mystic River Marina.
PM me about RI registration. Your assumption is incorrect.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 15:34   #14

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Billdre has some valid points. The Sakonnet River can seriously slow you down if you are fighting against the current. Point Judith and other points on the south shore will give you quicker access to Block Island, Buzzards Bay, Montouk, and other nearby destinations.

The flip side is that if you are in Point Judith and other such places you are right on the ocean for all practical purposes and subject to unmitigated wind and swell when conditions are right. Also, you will need a car or car service if you are in Bristol or other points with mass transit options.

One of my boats is in Portsmouth so I've enjoyed it and suffered from its location. When weather was uncooperative on the ocean, I was glad I could explore the bay. When the ocean was nice (more often than not) there were times I was a bit vexed that I had a few extra hours add to my journeys. Since you will have two weeks or so, perhaps a few extra hours of initial travel won't be an issue. The good news is that if you are not thrilled with your initial choice, you can always move. Good hunting!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 18:35   #15

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Check out Dutch Harbor Boat Yard on the west side of Connanicut Island (Jamestown, RI). Relatively reasonable prices, very nice people, a pretty place, and quick access out of Narragansett Bay. Also, if no traffic, only a half hour from PVD airport. All the marine services of Newport are only minutes away, but it tends to be less crazy in Jamestown and even quieter on the west side than Newport.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, mooring