Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 13:59   #1
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
BSP solar panels, any good?

Decided on a BSP 75 watt panel for my 28’ power boat.
Never heard of BSP before and a quick Google search did not give any reviews or comments.
https://www.solar-electric.com/amere...SABEgJRpPD_BwE

Last time I installed solar panels was 17-18 years ago on my CSY sailboat using Siemens 75 watt rigid panels rated at 4.4 amps.
Now with better tech and materials this 75 watt panel is only rated at 3.57 amps
Pmax..? (Perhaps I am mixing apples and oranges?)
Also considering a Genasun 5A MPPT controller.
https://www.go2marine.com/product/39...SABEgIfUPD_BwE
Another new name or brand. Back in the day I used a Blue Sky for MPPT but outback was rated higher.

Is this combo (BSP 75/Genasun 5A) any good, or cheap Chinese products?

Additional info: My House Bank is 2 golf cart batteries, Trojan 105, daily use while at anchor is a small 1.7 cu fridge as well as fans, phone charging and 2-3 LED anchor lights and 3-4 courtesy cabin and cockpit lights.
Perhaps 30-40 amp hours per day, not sure never installed a shunt and a battery monitor, trying to keep this tub simple, only using digital voltage gauges to estimate state of charge.
Old 03-06-2019, 14:31   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: BSP solar panels, any good?

Genasun has a good rep, use when 48V output is required.

BSP never heard of, but that market is changing rapidly, led by the Chinese of course.

Very likely panels will last longer than most of the companies producing them.

Top-reputation panels like Gioco, Solbian & Solara will cost lots more $ per watt.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Genasun has a good rep, use when 48V output is required.

BSP never heard of, but that market is changing rapidly, led by the Chinese of course.

Very likely panels will last longer than most of the companies producing them.

Top-reputation panels like Gioco, Solbian & Solara will cost lots more $ per watt.
Thx:
Money not a problem as far as $ per watt.
This elongated panel however fit my boat perfectly, hence the interest and decision to get this particular one.
Old 03-06-2019, 16:17   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Decided on a BSP 75 watt panel for my 28’ power boat.
Never heard of BSP before and a quick Google search did not give any reviews or comments.
https://www.solar-electric.com/amere...SABEgJRpPD_BwE

Last time I installed solar panels was 17-18 years ago on my CSY sailboat using Siemens 75 watt rigid panels rated at 4.4 amps.
Now with better tech and materials this 75 watt panel is only rated at 3.57 amps
Pmax..? (Perhaps I am mixing apples and oranges?)
Also considering a Genasun 5A MPPT controller.
https://www.go2marine.com/product/39...SABEgIfUPD_BwE
Another new name or brand. Back in the day I used a Blue Sky for MPPT but outback was rated higher.

Is this combo (BSP 75/Genasun 5A) any good, or cheap Chinese products?

Additional info: My House Bank is 2 golf cart batteries, Trojan 105, daily use while at anchor is a small 1.7 cu fridge as well as fans, phone charging and 2-3 LED anchor lights and 3-4 courtesy cabin and cockpit lights.
Perhaps 30-40 amp hours per day, not sure never installed a shunt and a battery monitor, trying to keep this tub simple, only using digital voltage gauges to estimate state of charge.
The panels shown in the link appear to be the same as I fitted to my boat. They have performed very well, been fitted for about four years now and no problems. I used a morningstar PWM controller and have not been disappointed. Here in Aus they are branded differently but look similar with much the same dimensions.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
BSP solar panels, any good?
Decided on a BSP 75 watt panel for my 28’ power boat...
Your thread title seems to be out of sync with your post.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Your thread title seems to be out of sync with your post.
Not really..
I decided to get that panel, but also looking for last minute feedback, can always un-decide if any bad reviews comes ticking in..
Old 04-06-2019, 08:55   #7

Boat: Topaz, Uno+, 12.7

I think Ameresco purchases these panels and has their own label attached. It does not have a UL listing, only a CE certification, so for off grid on a boat, ok, but, it might not be officially certified. You could reach out to them and ask for the CE certificate, it might provide some information if they certified it, the original manufacturer did, and if it was done by a 3rd party. It looks to use 1/2 cell poly technology, seems ok, but lower efficiency. You might ask for the flash test data to verify peak power and the electroluminescence image for the specific serial numbers you get. Sometimes cracked cells are sliced into half cells, then used for making modules like this. The EL image could show if any cells had significant cracks.
StevenMeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMeredith View Post
I think Ameresco purchases these panels and has their own label attached. It does not have a UL listing, only a CE certification, so for off grid on a boat, ok, but, it might not be officially certified. You could reach out to them and ask for the CE certificate, it might provide some information if they certified it, the original manufacturer did, and if it was done by a 3rd party. It looks to use 1/2 cell poly technology, seems ok, but lower efficiency. You might ask for the flash test data to verify peak power and the electroluminescence image for the specific serial numbers you get. Sometimes cracked cells are sliced into half cells, then used for making modules like this. The EL image could show if any cells had significant cracks.
Good info, thx.
Yeah, I noticed a slightly lower efficiency than previous 75 w panel, but need this one for the shape: My hard top has quite a bit of curve to it, can’t mount the panel sideways, it has to go North South.
Ordered it and a 10 amp MPPT controller with Bluetooth, now I can monitor everything on the iPhone. No need for more wires and gauges...
Old 15-06-2019, 11:02   #9

Getting closer to the solar installation:
Decided on a water proof on/off switch at the panel instead of just throwing a towel over it when power not needed or wanted.
Also considering a fuse between controller and batteries, say 10 amps, that being said, the controller already has a 20 amp fuse “built in” and very accessible. I assume that is for the battery side...? (Probably should call the manufacturer Victron Energy, but in the meantime: Anybody know?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	156BFB05-0623-43C8-804A-124B64DDBE97.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	193946  
Old 15-06-2019, 11:18   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Getting closer to the solar installation:
Decided on a water proof on/off switch at the panel instead of just throwing a towel over it when power not needed or wanted.
Also considering a fuse between controller and batteries, say 10 amps, that being said, the controller already has a 20 amp fuse “built in” and very accessible. I assume that is for the battery side...? (Probably should call the manufacturer Victron Energy, but in the meantime: Anybody know?)
Fuse it between the controller and the battery. No need for the switch you're putting in; you can turn the panel off with the victron app.
Old 15-06-2019, 12:05   #11

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Fuse it between the controller and the battery. No need for the switch you're putting in; you can turn the panel off with the victron app.
Fuse at the battery end, the controller is current limited.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 12:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
The fuse is for the cabling, so 12ga wire, 20a fuse is fine.
Old 15-06-2019, 12:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

Aha, now you are telling me, after I ordered a water proof 12 volt switch to install on the panel...
Looked at the app, but no control panel available until hooked up.
Seems pretty slick though, the future has arrived..

Quote:
Cool, no need for an in-line fuse then, “just in case”.
Thx

Quote:
The fuse is for the cabling, so 12ga wire, 20a fuse is fine.
Running 10 ga cable from controller to batteries, 12 ga from panels to controller as the cable run was rather limited with small diameter holes connecting radar arch to fiberglass structure. (Used a remote endoscopy type camera cordless to iPad..Great stuff, would be dead in the water without, third job on the boat where the camera paid for itself. I should start a colonoscopy side business, discount to CF members.)

About 20’ run with 12 ga at max 19 Volts to controller, did not compute voltage loss, but only 4 ah current, should be, what 3-5%..?
Old 16-06-2019, 03:02   #14

#10 cable for 75w is overkill, at #12 and 20ft the VD is 0.3%. Save your money.
The solar panel power could not even warm the wiring. The fuse is to prevent battery power cooking the circuit in the event of a short.
I wouldn't worry about the solar panel, put it in the sun, short it and measure the current. If it is to spec, you are good. There is way too much discussion on manufacturers and efficiency. Solar panels have no moving parts, the manufacturers don't make the cells, just about anyone in China can make a decent solar panel, there's about 600 manufacturers.
Old 20-06-2019, 08:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
#10 cable for 75w is overkill, at #12 and 20ft the VD is 0.3%. Save your money.
The solar panel power could not even warm the wiring. The fuse is to prevent battery power cooking the circuit in the event of a short.
I wouldn't worry about the solar panel, put it in the sun, short it and measure the current. If it is to spec, you are good. There is way too much discussion on manufacturers and efficiency. Solar panels have no moving parts, the manufacturers don't make the cells, just about anyone in China can make a decent solar panel, there's about 600 manufacturers.
Measured the current, all good,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D04F7416-644C-4DF1-B068-E653994EDB3F.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	194317  

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels