Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 11:34   #1

Transient costs in west coast marinas

My wife and I were on a 5 year plan to sell it all and sail away. Recently however I was declared "surplus" by my employer. We are now trying to figure out if we can bump up our timeline, or if we should stick to the original plan and hang onto the house a little longer, grinding it out for another 5 years or so. My wife is one of those lucky people who can work anywhere she has an internet connection. Initially we would like to cruise the west coast. My question is this, how are transients handled by any marinas in your area. How long can you stay, slip or mooring fees, any hidden gems. We currently keep our boat at Shoreline marina in Long Beach. We have a competent sailing dog and two untried-on-the-boat-yet cats.
scubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:39   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Transient costs in west coast marinas

By west coast do you mean all the way to Panama? Internet is everywhere almost. At most marins it's first come, first served. You can stay as long as you want if you pay your bill and your visa is good.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:06   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Hi Scubano. Depends on how transient, where you want to go and how long you want to stay. I used to keep our boat in Shoreline Marina too. Then we rented out the house, gave up the slip and went cruising.

Of course that was the same time that Mexico started impounding foreign boats so we stayed around Southern California until they got that straightened out. But we enjoyed ourselves cruising SoCal so much that we stayed.

We visited pretty much everywhere between Santa Barbara and Chula Vista that one can anchor, moor or dock. Then we did it again, twice more. I should add that we've been sailing for 48 years and have sailed the East Coast, Chesapeake Bay to Florida and ICW and coastal to Connecticut, Midwest lakes including Superior, and reservoirs in the dessert Southwest. But, we are still enjoying cruising SoCal after 16 years here and 3 years full time cruising. We recently took a permanent slip in Alamitos Bay.

So, back to your questions. Forgive me if you already know this info. There are transient slips in most marinas. Rules and availability varies so call ahead. Typically you can not stay more that 30 days but that varies too. Prices we've seen ran from $1.00 / ft per day to $2.50 / ft. Some places give better rates by the week. If you are a member of a yacht club and are moving through an area you may get 1 to 3 night free reciprocal dockage.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

For many marinas in the SF Bay area, You can have up to three months that you can be transient. A few are 6 months. A few are only a month. I think if your boat were clean I don't think you would have a problem staying longer at some marina's. Marina's love the transient rate.

Daily rates vary from $15/night at Richmonds Marina Bay, to $20/night at Antioch Marina to $28 a night in Petaluma marina, which is the least nice of the three.

It varies lots all over the SF bay. But tons of marinas and area's to sail from the Bay to the Delta.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

We've wandered up and down and all around the USA west coast from San Diego to SE AK and back. Plenty of good marinas and YC's to take a transient slip for a night, a month, or more. If you can be on the move--don't settle in for more than a month--keep moving around and enjoying the experience. There are many great anchorages along the way as well.

If you, your boat, your pets and whoever you're traveling with "present well" you'll be fine. Clean, clean, clean. Yourself, your pets, the boat. All of you squeeky clean. If you look like a hooligan, have a big unfriendly dog, your boat looks shabby and unkempt you'll be having problems whether in a marina or at anchor.

PS both Sprint's network and Verizon are available most places. We work from the boat using internet and switch from Sprint to Verizon hotspot depending on where we are. Only in SE AK was Sprint totally unavailable.
Old 21-09-2016, 09:08   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
For many marinas in the SF Bay area, You can have up to three months that you can be transient. A few are 6 months. A few are only a month. I think if your boat were clean I don't think you would have a problem staying longer at some marina's. Marina's love the transient rate.

Daily rates vary from $15/night at Richmonds Marina Bay, to $20/night at Antioch Marina to $28 a night in Petaluma marina, which is the least nice of the three.

It varies lots all over the SF bay. But tons of marinas and area's to sail from the Bay to the Delta.

That is either really cheap or insanely expensive?
That per ft?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:57   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is either really cheap or insanely expensive?
That per ft?
That's per night if the boat is under a particular length and is common among marinas that have excess capacity. The transient per foot per night rate on the west coast varies for transient from $0.50 to $2.00 per foot depending on where you are.
Old 21-09-2016, 11:06   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you stay in summer for 6 months in marina mazatlan, you pay 24 cents per foot per day per month
my summer rent here is 350usd/ month
is just less than barra de navidad, and with worse wifi. haha ha ha ha ha ha
dog someone please show this to segundino in isla navidad marina.,h ah ah aha
also tell segundino i felt safe in c dock. g is for transients, was a tad scary during patricia. ... <3

in winter folks anchor out.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 15:55   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if you stay in summer for 6 months in marina mazatlan, you pay 24 cents per foot per day per month
also tell segundino i felt safe in c dock. g is for transients, was a tad scary during patricia. ... <3

That's a long term rental. What is daily? I was referring to daily rates. Long-term, I'm surprised your rates aren't even less. Here in the notably "costly" SF Bay area, including a hefty liveaboard fee, including unlimited superfast GB wifi and including all my electricity costs, I'm spending $0.63/ft/day. If I take the liveabord and electric fees out, I'm spending $0.37/ft/day.
Old 01-10-2016, 15:12   #10

Thanks everyone! Good information, now the hard part, selling everything we own. Thinking about doing an estate sale and being done with it.
scubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 18:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Marinas and harbors whose primary customers are commercial fishing boats are less expensive than yacht harbors. Most don't care how long you stay if you are current and they have room. A few include power, most include some wifi. Some fish buying docks allow free short term tie ups if you're buying something from them - supplies, fuel, etc. Remote fish harbor monthly rates are about 50-60% of Seattle.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 00:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

I recently contacted Isla Navidad, a buddy looks to be buying a boat up in the SOC and has me looking for a Summer slip.
They told me they are now $9/ft, 16% tax plus electric. WTF? That's a jump - $.30/ft now, it was less right?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, west coast