Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 10:33   #1

South Africa to Europe via West Coast - POWERBOAT

Regarding winds and currents, is it more practical for a powerboat to hug the west coast of Africa going North instead of the traditional offshore route that sailboats take (Cape Town/St Helena/Georgetown/Ascension/Cape Verde/Canaries)?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:47   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Re: South Africa to Europe via West Coast - POWERBOAT

Check out jimmy Cornell's book, World Ocean Routes.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: South Africa to Europe via West Coast - POWERBOAT

Its down to your fuel range.. is it just sufficient.. or comfortably done with fuel to spare on the longest legs.. and the type of boat.
If coastal check the political situations along the way.. where to hop past.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 13:05   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I'd be looking at CT, Walvis Bay, St Helena, Ascension ( can you buy fuel in Ascension?), Dakar.......

Beware, Beware,
The Gulf of Benin,
Few come out,
Though many go in...

(Old E.D's ditty )
Old 08-04-2016, 14:01   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

if range is an issue,walvis bay Namibia,luanda Angola,liberia,mindelo cape vedes,canary islands ,gib
getting fuel in quantity in st Helena and ascension would be difficult and expensive
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
getting fuel in quantity in st Helena and ascension would be difficult and expensive
Refueling in Saint Helena would be required to keep the range to 2100nm (first leg) over 12 days. I understand diesel runs about $5 a gallon - any idea what the current rate is?

Hugging the cost in the Gulf of Guinea may be a bit risky. Will have to research the present state of piracy in that region.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Refueling in Saint Helena would be required to keep the range to 2100nm (first leg) over 12 days. I understand diesel runs about $5 a gallon - any idea what the current rate is?

Hugging the cost in the Gulf of Guinea may be a bit risky. Will have to research the present state of piracy in that region.
I have no idea what the current fuel price is,but vic on wind wanderer,a cf member was there in march,so would be able to fill you in on recent prices etc

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: VirtualVagabond

it is also unlikely that you would be able to take on fuel alongside the dock due to the swell,but probably could have it delivered in drums.

if taking the other route I would not recommend "hugging" the coast,rather staying 120 miles offshore so you are out of the range of opportunistic gangs that use 70ft pirogues with outboards who are generally found 0-60 miles offshore fishing.

I have heard gambia,Liberia ,Ghana,and angola are relatively safe stops,as is Dakar,but would avoid dakar port due to petty thieving if staying overnight.

mindalo in cape verdes is safe and easy to get fuel alongside.

what are your fuel requirements and how big is the vessel?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:35   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

From one who has family members who have done this trip, in a motor sailer, my suggestion is to stay offshore. Get extra diesel in the largest drums you can carry and store on deck, if you can. Avoid most of the area. It is not well charted, there are lots of mud banks, shoulder deep water dozens of miles offshore, fish traps, oh, and did I mention pirates?
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 15:07   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes, you are generally keeping to the right. Plan refuel as per your specifics. Make sure the boat is not a lime. It is at times very rough, even though 'windless' on the direct route from Helena to CV. It is a hard upwind upswells ride from the zone onwards.

Use the winds and currents to the max, unless you do not have to. This includes more E'ly exit from the zone.

Make sure Helena refuel is viable. It is often very rolly there and you may be limited in using any docking facilities. You cannot jerry can diesel to a power boat.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 20:17   #10

Hi barnakiel I appreciate your input, but would you please translate what you just said into English? What is a "lime" and "E'ly exit?"
Old 10-04-2016, 06:50   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Eh. ;-)

When I say a lime I think I mean a tub or else a fine boat but with some undisclosed technical conditions. It is a major and extensive passage and so any sludge in the tanks, any non perfectly sealed hatches, etc. WILL soon get disclosed by the sea.

By E'ly I mean Easterly - in line with sticking to the right, you want to exit the zone not too far to the W, due to the conditions prevailing North of the zone.

My clients will be taking off from Helena anyday now and towards the CV. They say everything is very dear at Helena.

Hope this explains. PLS forgive my earlier slurry style.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Africa, Europe, rope, South Africa, west coast